Thread: Tone ID

Tone ID

What is everyone's preferred tone ID on mx sport? I am coming from an mxt pro which I think had 7 tone's. It's nice to have a variety on mx sport.

I kinda like the 20 Tone setup. Probably because I'm used to the Tone ID on XLT / DFX / V-machines. As you said, its nice to have a choice for different venues.
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Its going to be interesting for sure. I am in Michigan and waiting for the spring thaw so I have not taken it out yet. the MXS seems pretty easy to set up. The button layout seems pretty simple. I was torn between the MXS and a few other water detectors but I stayed with Whites. I knew when the MXS was released that this was the next machine I wanted to get. 2019 marks my 20th year metal detecting and my 4th Whites machine. Looking forward to this summer!

That's awesome you are sticking to White's. They sure do make a great bunch of detectors. I hope you get out soon and find something that is a keeper. Good luck!
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

You made two good choices !! Good luck and good hunting !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Hi My Fellow TH'ers
    After all of 35 years with Whites I do not care so much about tone ID. I dig EVERYTHING anyway so trying to determine if one, two, ten, or twenty different tones makes any difference is a mute point for me. I hear all the complaints about digging 'Trash signals' but I feel that those that complain are just missing the point of what metal detecting is all about. If everyone were to dig all signals in a given site you will not only find a lot of items but you will also get more good items. On top of this if you recycle all you 'Trash' and take it to a scrap metal dealer you will soon see that just finding coins, jewelry, or relics is just a small part of the hobby. clearing out any site of all targets makes a lot of folks happy. Anyone that has ever worked on a farm knows that clearing a farmers property will make the farmer happy as it saves on flat tires, damage to farm equipment, and injury to the farmer, the farm hands, and farm animals. This is an all around WIN-WIN for all involved. Just my two cents for all to consider. ;-)

"Dig it all" is a great approach for farms, woods, etc. If you're workin' a park, rec area, lawn, etc, you need to be a bit more choosey about what you dig. Just my 2 cents ...

Near me is a location of an old dairy farm from what I know it closed in the 1920's. Ten acres of land almost all of it is all grown forest now but I have walked amongst the largest of the trees and have found many farming tools. I even found a Model A engine there. Two areas where plant life grows in squares lets me know where the house and barn once stood. The use of satellite imaging really helps to see it too. I dig everything here because the interesting things just keep coming. I can remember the first time here with a friend. He said we are never going to find anything this far back in these woods. Right where he stood while saying that, he started to swing his coil and to our surprise he got a signal. He dug a foot down to find some pliers. I still think that was funny. Not going to find anything there, right!!! Digging every signal really does let you find everything but you still have to learn the good signals from the bad ones. That's just something you learn over time. Well good luck and happy hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by THing4CSA View Post
    Hi My Fellow TH'ers
    After all of 35 years with Whites I do not care so much about tone ID. I dig EVERYTHING anyway so trying to determine if one, two, ten, or twenty different tones makes any difference is a mute point for me. I hear all the complaints about digging 'Trash signals' but I feel that those that complain are just missing the point of what metal detecting is all about. If everyone were to dig all signals in a given site you will not only find a lot of items but you will also get more good items. On top of this if you recycle all you 'Trash' and take it to a scrap metal dealer you will soon see that just finding coins, jewelry, or relics is just a small part of the hobby. clearing out any site of all targets makes a lot of folks happy. Anyone that has ever worked on a farm knows that clearing a farmers property will make the farmer happy as it saves on flat tires, damage to farm equipment, and injury to the farmer, the farm hands, and farm animals. This is an all around WIN-WIN for all involved. Just my two cents for all to consider. ;-)
    Awesome response! Do you know what the going rate is for scrap metal per pound? I dig up quite a few pounds on certain outings. Its funny that I work at a metal treating facility and I don't even know.

If you Google "Scrap Metal Prices" you'll find a number of sites with daily quotes - just like gold and silver prices. I am surprised at the going rate for certain metals !!

There are apps for smartphones too. I have one on my iPhone.

On the Sport I use the 8 tones, tried the 20 just doesn’t do me right. It’s weird because on the V3i I use many different tones that I have assigned.

Its good to have choices !! I went back and forth between 8 and 20 and settled on 20, pretty much because of what you said about all the tones on the V3i (and XLT and DFX) ....