Whitesluigi77

Dilemma - Need Honest Opinions Please !

Hi I want to thin out my arsenal of detectors but I cant decide which to sell and which to keep. I will either keep the vintage ones and sell the newer ones or keep the newer ones and sell the vintage ones. What would you do? Thanks, RDF.
    Last edited by deolslyfox; 02-28-2019 at 11:27 AM. Reason: No buying / selling

Welcome to the forum. I think you have some pretty good detectors there. I would sell the newer ones and invest in a MX Sport or better yet a V3i. I have the V3i and it's absolutely the best detector on the market. Good luck and happy hunting.

NOTICE: There is no buying or selling on the White's forum.
    Last edited by deolslyfox; 02-28-2019 at 11:29 AM. Reason: No buying / selling
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

Sell the newer ones.
    Last edited by deolslyfox; 02-28-2019 at 11:29 AM.
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Whitesluigi77
    I am leaning toward selling the newer models. I have my reasons but would be curious to know why you guys would keep the old and sell the new?...Also, relax,..I have no intention on selling these on this forum. Thanks for your replies.

Experience .... Best answer I have ....
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Some of the older machines work better in certain situations.

My 2 worth: I have both the old and new. I have taken out my MXT AP (15 kHz) in an area with old Chromite mine waste and could not detect one coin. I switched to the XLT (6.59 kHz) and picked up a large cent, barber quarter and an Indian in no time. Conversely, I have used the MXT where the XLT was not firing too well. That being said, one machine may work better than another depending upon soil and other environmental conditions.

I found my best old coins with the 6000 Di 3. The 6.59 kHz frequency does not interfere with my pinpointer and I have not encountered any relevant EMI issues. The newer machines do have some advantages. However, (and this could be a familiarity issue) my older machines seem to detect just as deep with good recognizable tones. I use the meter/display only as a backup and to give a depth guestimate. The tones have always worked best for me. Once ground balanced the older machines are ready to go. I don't want continued fiddling with settings or watch TV when I go out - I want to detect. But I guess I'm more old school.

ECD: IMHO ..... The 6K series was one of the best detectors Whites, or anyone for that matter, ever built. I have a 1982 6KDS2 that will hold its own with anything out there today ....

Quote Originally Posted by deolslyfox View Post
    ECD: IMHO ..... The 6K series was one of the best detectors Whites, or anyone for that matter, ever built. I have a 1982 6KDS2 that will hold its own with anything out there today ....
    Right on Fox!

Whitesluigi77
    I don't want continued fiddling with settings or watch TV when I go out - I want to detect. But I guess I'm more old school.[/QUOTE]

Watch TV....lol

Nothing wrong with "old school", especially mixed with experience .... You can buy technology .... There's no price for experience ....

Thats why I love my 1st edition Eagle 1. 33 years of diggin and still learning!

Hi My Fellow TH'ers
    I am somewhere in the middle on this issue. I think the best detectors that I have used over the past 42+ years include the 6000 Di III, XLT, and DFX. Now the issue is these are the detectors that I have used 99.999 percent of the time.
    I think that the newer detectors have a lot of potential but for me I like SIMPLE. As I dig every signal listening to a signal at one tone versus another signal at a similar tone and then making a decision as to which target to dig is ridiculous at best. I hear all the complaints about digging bottle caps, nails, pull tabs, etc but it seems to me that hearing targets is what a detector is made for to begin with. I do see the logic of limiting the number of holes that are dug in some locations but many times it does not matter if you dig 100 or 10,000 holes in an area. Many have read my responses to selling all the scrap metals that are found but the simple task of removing all the targets is the first step. If you are searching one site over and over you want to remove all the targets and not rebury trash/junk/unwanted items. I like the older simpler detectors, a turn on and go machine. ;-)

Is there not a middle compromise, keep the best of the old and the best of the new ?

It does matter sometimes. If you have a high end V3i, yes keep it. But some of the newer low end models compared to some of the old. It's best to keep the older models.

Jack: IMHO, the "best" answer is to keep the machines that perform the best for you, and best fulfill your needs.

Whitesluigi77
    Thanks for all the input. I am going to keep them all for now. Metal detectors are my obsession and I love them all. The Treasure Pro is tempting me now. No hope for me