BeachHunter TDI - Solutions for Hearing Impaired?

Hello!

Back in the good ole USA after years working in the Middle East. Just purchased the BH TDI, very happy after my first hunt on the Florida Treasure Coast.

My hearing is getting progressively worse (from military days, when hearing protection was not in vogue whilst shooting). My hearing in one ear is about 20% and the other 70%.

Question: for PI machines, is there some sort of an adapter that would convert audio into a visual reference? Even something as simple as a wave form display, or even a row of ascending LED's.

I guess I could purchase a portable oscilloscope (not waterproof), but geez I cannot be the only person with this problem!!! I do not want to give up PI detecting.

Thank you,

Erwin

Hello Erwin and welcome to the forum.

Many years back I had a friend that was mostly deaf. He thought metal detectors were very interesting and he told me he wished he could hear the tones from the detector. I was sitting around one day and thought he might not be able to hear but he can feel. I made something that instead of hearing it you could feel the electrical current through the tongue. It worked like a charm and my buddy learned to use it quite well. He could feel the different frequencies and was able to ID different conductors after a short time. I'm not saying this is for you but sometimes we will do anything we can to do the things we like.

I'm going to sent you a message. I know of a sound to vibrations device sold online. It looks to be out of stock now but you will be able to see what it is. Maybe you will be able to find one.

Good luck!!!

Rodney
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

There are several vibrating devices available ....
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Hearing Impaired help - Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by deolslyfox View Post
    There are several vibrating devices available ....
    Thanks Rodney and deolslyfox, very much appreciate it! Yes, the one Rodney pointed to is (as he says) discontinued, but am looking for others that may be out (vibration solutions). The electrical current solution on the tongue is intriguing; I know that the tongue is indeed very sensitive to electrical current - as long as it stays low !!! ;-)

I didn't know that one was discontinued .... It was used by several of our hearing impared members ....
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

You might get lucky and find one on eBay. It's a terrific device if you can find one. Good luck!!!
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300