New V3i - Need Some Help

Hi all. I just got my V3i today. So far I'm pretty positive I've set everything up properly. I have full batteries, default coin&jewelery program running, ran a manual ground balance, and far from anything metal or power. What's happening is the display lights up like a Christmas tree on the ground and still, in the air and still, etc... What am I doing wrong?

Welcome to the forum .... What's happening is the display lights up like a Christmas tree on the ground and still, in the air and still, etc...

I don't know what symptoms you're describing. If your SpectraGraph is showing spurious VDIs and you hear noise in the audio, its almost surely EMI. Drop your RXG / AM / DS. If your machine quiets down, its EMI. If not, disconnect the coil. If your machine is still noisy, you have a box issue. A Master Reset may help. If its quiet with the coil disconnected, and you are POSITIVE its not EMI, you have a coil issue.

I suggest you move to another spot and try again. Good luck !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Welcome to the forum.

Hello Sky,
    Is this a new machine? If so start out in the Coin & Jewelry program. After setting up in the C&J program, do what Fox suggested with the Rx-Gain, All Metal, and Discrimination. Turning down the Rx-Gain first. If the machine is still making a lot of chatter then turn down the Discrimination and All Metal. If still getting chatter then disconnect the coils cable. (You don't need to turn the detector off to do this.) If you instantly have a quiet detector, then you have either too much EMI or the coil is bad. If the machine is still chattering with the coil disconnected then you have a box issue.

Check these links out...

How to do a master reset - http://file:///C:/Users/rodch/AppDat...CESS%20(1).pdf

Reducing The Effects of EMI - http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/...Effects-Of-EMI

Well, keep us updated. Good luck!
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

Yup all new machine. I'll read a bit more to figure out what
    RXG / AM / DS are.

How are you doing on getting your V3i up and running?

Check out this thread. It helps you understand what certain settings do. It's a good read. - http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/...round-with-V3i

Ok. So it does look like Emi. The coil will stabilize if I turn the rxg to 3 and the disc to 43. And with the coil unplugged the box is quiet.

I tried setting the ground tracking, and transmit frequency offset, but neither of the settings far help alone or together.

There is also a constant background hum. Not sure if that's normal, but it's annoying.

Also master reset had no effect.

LOL, the humming is the threshold audio. That humming is a good thing to have on a metal detector. You can shut it off but you should learn to use the threshold audio. You can hear deeper targets with use of the threshold audio.

Here's a video on how to setup the V3i in a custom way. This video also goes over how to setup the Stereo Mixed Mode for the threshold is in one ear only. Stereo Mixed Mode is one of the V3i's famous features. Here's the link...
    https://youtu.be/TdACxV-GCAg

Try to keep your Disc from 75-93 and preferably at 85 until you know where to set it up at.
    Set the All Metal to 55-65.
    The Rx-Gain, set it to what works good.

If you're having a really tough time with EMI, check out this video...
    https://youtu.be/n9_dIMo0UVk

Here's a video on saving programs, copying them, saving in the library and much more.
    https://youtu.be/F-V_HxVILDg

I hope you find this info useful,

Rodney

If you are still having problems with a chattering machine and you have taken it out where you know EMI isn't a problem and it didn't make a difference then you may have a box issue.

Thanks! I was just able to get stable with rxg at 2,all metal at 55, and disc at 70. I'll get out of the house tomorrow and somewhere remote. But at least it's hitting coins I know about at 5-6".

Keep us posted. Meantime, suggest you read the manual, practice with the features / functions and read thru the forum. Good luck !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

I've had an mxt pro for several years. I just received my new v3i a few weeks ago. I always thought my mxt was chatter, but the v3i was alot worse. It dawned on me that I always had my smart phone in my front pocket. I left it in the house and my v3i became so much quieter and so stable that I could now increase my tune. Just a thought for you to consider. It might be my imagination but it made a big difference in my stability.

I walked art the neighborhood, and similar results. My best guess is the smart meters that are getting installed. They operate at a much lower freq than public WiFi. If that's the case what can I do and still hunt in town? Any coil recommendation that is less likely to pick up interference?

Welcome to the forum Renegade.

Thanks rchalker. I was previously on this forum as tanker driver. But I had lost my password so just started a new as renegade. My first custom program was on you're suggested stereo mixed mode . I really like the way you suggest to set it up. I love my new v3i . I've had it about 3 weeks. Just three hints and I've found 2 mercs and a 1945 king George vi penny in a couple of my previously hunted permissions. Also plenty of newer coins.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky View Post
    I walked art the neighborhood, and similar results. My best guess is the smart meters that are getting installed. They operate at a much lower freq than public WiFi. If that's the case what can I do and still hunt in town? Any coil recommendation that is less likely to pick up interference?
    The best coils I know for large amounts of EMI is the 950 Eclipse and the 4x6" Shooter. Did you watch that video on EMI? That video really explains a lot about EMI and ways to clear it up. You should be able to get the V3i to run quite smooth with the right settings. Even in some terrible EMI conditions you should be able to metal detect. In some cases you will find places that are just so bad that it's impossible to get all the chatter out of the machine but with a concentric coil or a small coil like the 4x6" Shooter will really help you out.

I bet 10-1 that you have a bad coil. A factory program shouldn't need sensitivity reduced to 2 or 3 to be stable.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Thanks rchalker. I was previously on this forum as tanker driver. But I had lost my password so just started a new as renegade. My first custom program was on you're suggested stereo mixed mode . I really like the way you suggest to set it up. I love my new v3i . I've had it about 3 weeks. Just three hints and I've found 2 mercs and a 1945 king George vi penny in a couple of my previously hunted permissions. Also plenty of newer coins.
    Congrats on some sweet finds. Sounds like you're doing well with the V. That's awesome! I'm happy to hear you like the Stereo Mixed Mode. It really lets you hear the targets while setup that way.

(Since you started a new account, I will delete the old account name of "tanker driver". Members of the forum are only permitted to have one user name.)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinL View Post
    I bet 10-1 that you have a bad coil. A factory program shouldn't need sensitivity reduced to 2 or 3 to be stable.
    Martin: If the OP is in a high EMI area, reduced sensitivity may be required.

Hey Sky,

Your pretty darn close to Sweet Home and White's Electronics. If you still have issues with chatter and EMI in the next few days. It might be worth the drive to go to the White's factory. You'd be able to test a new coil to see if it resolves the problem. Someone there will be glad to help you. White's has the best customer service around.

Rodney

Sky: Try running single freq, 22.5Khz, and employ freq offset. That's another approach to reducing EMI. Same / same for 7.5Khz .... And, try the same in Salt Mode ....

Keep working with your options. You'll find a setup that works if EMI is your issue.

Quote Originally Posted by deolslyfox View Post
    Martin: If the OP is in a high EMI area, reduced sensitivity may be required.
    Down as low as 2 or 3, with a factory program? If that is the case here, I definitely agree it is HIGH.

I bought it at the factory, it's a quick trip if need be. I was going to try and rule out other problems first. I did try running in single freq mode for all and had no improvement, and tried offset also. Next time I have off is next Friday. I ordered a 6x10 tonight to see if that helps. I'll still try to get out tomorrow away from any possible Emi.

Quote Originally Posted by deolslyfox View Post
    Sky: Try running single freq, 22.5Khz, and employ freq offset. That's another approach to reducing EMI. Same / same for 7.5Khz .... And, try the same in Salt Mode ....

Keep working with your options. You'll find a setup that works if EMI is your issue.
    I spent a few hours trying those options. Read your posts about Emi, watched YouTube. Nothing made it stable except getting the rxg super low.

Yeah, sounds like you have a problem somewhere. After you get the new coil, test her and let us know what you figure out.

Well I went to a baseball field on the edge of town, and a boat ramp. I was able to get the sensitivity up to 9-10 and stay stable. I didn't find anything other than a nickel. No good repeatable targets (other than the nickel) but that's what I expected.

I'd say your detector is fine - box, coil and all .... That's good gnus !!

Yeah, sounds like a working machine to me too. Well, now we wait for nice hunting weather.

looking forward to seeing all the pics of the neat finds you dig up, when you find a spot that is not too consumed with EMI, you'll be amazed at how sweet things start working
    If the bass ain't biting, I'm scratchin for silver

Now that you have confidence in your machine, its a matter of "practice, practice, practice" ..... Good luck and good hunting !!

Practice for sure. I hunted an old church that has never been hunted today. The catch is it's now an office at a steel mill. There are some surrounding woods I can hit too. But 50 years of steel dust made it hard. No good finds, but was able to run stable.

Just keep searching and you will find something eventually.

With the manual close by, change settings and see what effect it has on target return. You'll learn what features / functions are independent, and which work together. More importantly, you'll learn what each one does and when and how its best deployed !! Give yourself a good 8 months to a year to become really proficient with the V3i ....

Quick follow-up. I got the 6*10 coil today. It's pouring rain, but in the garage it's stable running quite a bit hotter. Hopefully the rain stops this weekend for a bit.

Well I hope the weather clears up soon for you can get out and give the new coil a test run.

Good on ya' !! Let us know how you like it !!