72 & Still Going Strong

I hate my mother shoveling snow and we go round and round about her shoveling it. But every time there's three or less inches of snow on the driveway, she wants to shovel it herself. She tells me this is her exercise. "Grrrr!!!" My mother only weighs 97 pounds. The snow weighs more than she does.

Do any of you go through this with your parents?

I ordered a new snow blower yesterday. I can't wait for it to get here for I can clear off the drive instead of her.

Check this out, I figured you guys would like this too. My mother has been sending this video to everyone...

Well happy hunting to you still digging and good luck to the rest of you with snow.

AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

Let her clear it!! If she's healthy enough to do it, fantastic! I'm 75 and would be po'd if my kid told me to stand aside. Great to stay active and get that kind of exercise. Healthier in the long run.

I just worry too much I guess. Or do I... you do recall my mother broke her arm last year. That about gave me a heart attack. I have nightmares from that day. I know she has fun shoveling the snow. She always comes in and calls her friends and family to tell them she still has it in her to do this stuff. LOL!!! She's just so proud when she accomplishes all her projects.

AMEN Gus !! Wife's Mum was in her 90's when she passed. She was still clearing her driveway at 90 !! We would raise a fuss and she would say; "I didn't live this long by sittin' on my behind ....". You can't argue with that logic !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Some of my family would have been passing pine cones if they were in my shop 3 weeks back. I installed a garage door opener. 12 ft ceiling, setting up scaffolding, walking around on a 2x12 plank. Up and down a dozen times also on a 12ft ladder. Then installed 4 light fixtures up there.

You're worrying is justified but try to limit it to climbing on unstable things!!

I agree with Gus. I'm 72 and still doing anything I can for strength and exercise. Good for your mom. LTD

Thanks guys. I feel better knowing you guys think it’s okay to do.

remarkable that she is in good shape. What would ole Rodney say if his son came by and said "dad, give me your drivers license", or even worse, "give me all your metal detectors, I'm afraid you might get hurt driving all over the country, and then doing all that digging on top of that while you are detecting"? I understand your concern for your mom, but sitting down and doing nothing, might be even worse. LOVE her and enjoy her while you can, and have the time, won't be too long and you'll be in my shoes with both parents deceased and OH what you would give for a chance to have them back, even for just a little while
    If the bass ain't biting, I'm scratchin for silver

Wisdom Bass .... Wisdom ....
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Tim, you really make a good point. Thanks for the wise words.

Quote Originally Posted by bassplugger View Post
    remarkable that she is in good shape. What would ole Rodney say if his son came by and said "dad, give me your drivers license", or even worse, "give me all your metal detectors, I'm afraid you might get hurt driving all over the country, and then doing all that digging on top of that while you are detecting"? I understand your concern for your mom, but sitting down and doing nothing, might be even worse. LOVE her and enjoy her while you can, and have the time, won't be too long and you'll be in my shoes with both parents deceased and OH what you would give for a chance to have them back, even for just a little while
    Amen brother!
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My mom did her shoveling and mowing into her early 80s. She liked doing it. I helped sometimes with the heavier snow

My mother insist on mowing the yard with a push mower, although I own a tractor. She refuses to learn how to drive the tractor. I tell her to use it over and over again but she says the push mower does a nice job. So I have a tractor here that I use to roll the yard with my 900 pound roller. If it wasn't for the roller, I'd probably sell the tractor.

You Mom is happy and proud to be doing what she's doing, the way she wants to do it !! Mine was the same way. Let her do as she likes. She'll sit down when she gets tired !!

Kudos for your mom. I bet she knows her limitations. Better to die with boots on the ground than to quietly wither away.

No doubt about it ECD.

I would just make sure she keeps a cell phone with her. If you had not told her age I would have never guessed it.

My mother knows about the snow blower. I had to tell her I ordered it. She said it will be nice to have one again. I'm not sure but she might want to use it herself. I told her it has two reverse speeds and four forward speeds so it will definitely go slow enough for her to learn to use it if she wants. She just laughed.

By the way my mother is a real trooper. She's a three time cancer survivor. She likes to do everything herself. Where we retired from, Delphi Automotive Systems, she worked in the shipping warehouse. She use to move one to three hundred pound spools of wire around. I remember she had some biceps on her back then too from working that job for thirty years. She's a tough little lady. (5'3" @ 97 lbs.) God bless her heart!

I believe its the folks that work hard and keep moving that last the longest .... My Mom used to say; "Hard work never hurt anybody ....", and she lived to be 92. She didn't slow down until the last 10 months of her life when cancer hit her. She was still taking care of a 12 room, 2-story house when she was taken ill. Walked about a mile to church most Sundays.

I see those that "retire to the recliner" leavin' here a lot sooner than those that remain active !!

I'm sorry to hear your mother had to go through cancer. Living until 92, that's a good life. I can only hope to live that long. I'm trying here, I really am.

I was with my mother all three times to help her out when she had cancer. Scary days! I think I was more stressed out over it than she was.

But you are absolutely right about the people whom work hard live the longest. That recliner is a bad thing to use all the time. During the winter months I hurt really bad and I sit more than I should. When the warm weather comes back around I start feeling better but I can tell I have a hard time doing active things again. And now since I'm going through all this testing and it being positive for a tumor. I'm told not to do anything that gets my heart rate up. I can't wait for these doctors to fix me. What I have is so rare that the doctors are trying to figure how to find the tumor. It's really difficult to locate.

Hang in there Rod .... It'll show up, they'll fix it and then you'll be off to the races !!

I hope so. I had a hyperactive episode last night and couldn't calm myself down for about an hour and a half. Had another one this morning for an hour. Today I've been feeling terrible with a headache, which is a symptom after having one of these episodes. I need to sleep but I can't. I've been awake 33 hours and I don't feel tired yet. I usually get tired around 42-44 hours. Then I sleep for only 2-4 hours and I'm wide awake again. It's really messed up having this pheochromocytoma. I can't get over all the testing I'm being put through. And nothing is near home. I have to drive an hour thirty-five minutes just to reach the hospital. Then it takes ten minutes to find parking. Fifteen minutes to walk to the department. Talk about a long day.

can't imagine not sleeping for 40 hours, and then doze for an hour or two then wide open again. Never heard of anyone with those symptoms.. Sounds like a long-haul truck drivers dream. If I don't get 6- 8 hour a night I feel like a zombie the next day.
    Sure hope the doctors can find a solution to your problem. I go to church with a guy that has a 180 from you, if he gets still for 5 minutes he goes to sleep. He has a problem with trying to stay awake, maybe you and him need a blood transfusion and you get some of what he has and he gets some of what you have. Maybe these tests you are taking can reveal some positive outlook so you can get some sleep
    If the bass ain't biting, I'm scratchin for silver

BP, I’m really on a run now. I’ve been going nonstop since Friday. It’s Monday night. I’ll most likely sleep tonight. Read this link. This is what all my test come back positive for. My blood is full of adrenaline and it makes me not sleep. It’s doing a job on my kidneys though.

http://www.pheochromocytoma.org

I gotta get one of those, Rodney. I mean the shovel, scoop whatever. I clear my driveway the same way, but just use a snow shovel, which requires a lot of trips back and forth. You mom looks like a gorgeous lady.
    Jim

Hey Jim, that 36” shovel really makes clearing the driveway easy and fast. I’ll past that comment to my mother. She will appreciate the kind words.

Well, I received my new snow blower today. I put it together while wearing shorts and a t-shirt. It was a very nice day at 53F. It sure doesn't feel like we are getting anymore snow. It was like spring outside. I didn't want to put gas in it yet because of how nice it was outside. If we get some snow again I will fire it up. I'm sure winter isn't over yet. But hey, I might be surprised.

Maybe no more snow and we can all thank you for buying that new snowblower. We have not had a major power failure since buying the generator.

We have not had a major power failure since buying the generator.

Same here - twice. Last home in Maryland. Out for 8 days. Got big Genny. No more big failures in 15 years. Moved here. Got big Genny. No big failures yet. But if that's what it takes, I'm happy !!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastdigs View Post
    Maybe no more snow and we can all thank you for buying that new snowblower. We have not had a major power failure since buying the generator.
    Isn't that just how things end up? Well, you are welcome. LOL!!!

God bless your Mom! Rod, and I paray that the doctors will find a way to get you healthy again!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bogdan "Don" Pieniak

Thanks Don, it would be nice if these doctors knew more about this. I just keep hoping they learn something new from all these test.

I love how these posts evolve. Rod starts talking about his mother moving snow, since then we've touched on generators and Rod's health problems. As to Rod, I sure hope the Docs can figure out something to make you better again. LTD

Thanks LTD.

Hi My Fellow TH'er RChalker
    I understand your feeling and your want to do everything for your Mom. I believe everyone wants to do what they can to make their Mom (or Dad's) life easier, but just remember that everyone needs to feel useful to themselves and others. In my old neighborhood we had six houses in our cul-de-sac. four had snowblowers but only one ever helped anyone else until the last year I lived there. I use to shovel my drive way as well as the neighbor's across the street. I got many thank yous but I knew that they were unable to do it themselves due to poor health. I was the youngest man out of the six houses but I can tell you the shoveling sure kicked my rear! We had an average of three to four good snows a year of 12 to 44 inches. You help your Mom as best you can but just remember your Mom still needs to keep active. If she is able to cut the yard or shovel snow allow her to do so. If her health starts to go then do more for her. ;-)

Thanks for the kind words and wisdom CSA.