Goldmaster II threshold hum

I have this older Goldmaster II. when I turn it on the volume of the threshold hum is at max with the tuning knob turned max ccw. I am under the impression that with the tuning knob turned max ccw the volume should be at zero . I am no longer able to adjust the threshold hum. it is always at max volume level. I removed the cover and inspected the wiring and it appears to be ok. Could I possibly have a bad 100k potentiometer which is what the tuning knob is attached to?

Welcome to the forum Victus.

Sounds pretty much right. The potentiometer is most likely bad. It's a very inexpensive fix and is what I'd be changing first. If you don't feel comfortable fixing it, White's repair cost isn't bad at all. Good luck.
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

thanks. If that doesn't fix it I'll mail it off to Whites for repair.

Let us know how it works out. Thanks. Good luck !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Would a faulty search coil cause the same problem? If I wiggle the cable at the connector end that plugs into the unit the unit makes all sorts of high pitched sounds. unfortuneately my blue max 950 and 600 search coils that I have wont work with the Goldmaster II to test it for a bad coil. Does anyone know how to remove the backshell on the receptacle that plugs into the GMII? It may be possible with all the connecting and disconnecting and cable bending a wire under the backshell is not making a solid connection. this unit has got a lot of heavy use in the field. thanks

You're dealing with the watertight integrity of the machine at that plug. If I were you, I would send the unit in and let Whites do any repairs needed then ensure watertight integrity with their pressure vessel.

JMHO....
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.