Best Whites detector for coin hunting only?

Hi, I'm Looking for opinions on the best Whites detector to buy for coin only hunting. Thanks

The best, well the best in my honest opinion is the V-Series machines. The best for the buck, I'd say is the MX7. I have the TreasurePro here but it doesn't do great on nickels. Not like the V3i I have. The MX7 is my choice.
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

I'd have to say the MXT Pro for an all-round C&J machine in terms of "bang for the buck".
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

My 2 worth: I’ve used the old and the new. I just used my MXT Pro on a new 1850 farmstead and came up with only an Indian head penny and a couple of wheaties and was having a hard time with all the trash (see my post under Finds – First Hunt: 1850 Farmstead). That being said, I have had very good luck with the MXT machine overall and this may just be an unusual site - or, I never rule out pilot error. The MXT is a super universal unit for various types of hunting situations. In this case, I decided to experiment and switched over to the old XLT in COIN only mode and it knocked out all the trash and I got some nice old coins and silver from 7.5 to 10 inches. IMHO there is nothing wrong with starting, or even staying with, the older 6.59 kHz machines. They are still excellent and do a super job.

Overall, I think it best to just choose a good Whites detector, learn the machine thoroughly, run tests, and use it so you know your machine in actual field situations.
    Last edited by Eastcoastdigs; 01-10-2019 at 05:08 PM.

Overall, I think it best to just choose a good Whites detector, learn the machine thoroughly, run tests, and use it so you know your machine in actual field situations.

Wise words !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Wise words indeed Fox. I still have my first machine, I can run circles around others with it only because I know it well.

Maybe some history of your detector usage would be handy. Are you going to hunt strictly on land or also water. Do you want a simple detector or one fully programmable. If you want simple deep and amphibious then I strongly recommend the MX Sport. It’s deep simple and waterproof. Let us know besides just coins what else are you planniuon doing with it. MackDog

Like Rodney said, the V3i is a nickel hound! The best surprise is when that sure nickel sounds turns out to be a gold!

I made the switch from another big name brand, to the whites mx7. I also am interested in coinage. And i must say....its the best decision i ever made. I have access to numerous homesteads. I cant wrap my head around allnthe coins,buttons,and jewlery i had missed with my past machines. The signals are more clear. The tones are easy to understand as well as the screen layout. Each spot i had pounded heavily before, is like a new spot with my mx7. If i had to only purchase 1 more item. It would be the bullseye coil for trashy areas. I paid my machine off within a 3months with my finds by making crafts of some of my finds and and outright selling some other found items. You would be amazed what the mx7 is capable of.
    JB

Sounds like you're doin' fine with that MX7 !! Keep up the good work !!

The M6 machine is a dandy for coin shooting also. A highly under-rated detector IMPO. I like it's speed, it finds deep coins, and a very simple detector to pick up and start hunting. I trust both of my M6s. No intimidation factor with an M6.

my mx sport slams coins. But that being said it has way more than you need to just hunt coins. so mx7 is probably fine

All good advice from others. Each will have a favorite. You have to decide what features / functions best fit your needs and budget.

M6, MXT, M7 are all great for coins and jewelry. If you want / need waterproof, then the MX Sport is your ticket. A used XLT or DFX will also do a good job if you take the time to learn 'em. If "simple, turn on and go" is at the top of your list, I'd stick with the M-series. If you want the "best of the best, world class" in terms of features / functions / flexibility, then V3i is the way to go.

Let us know what you decide on !!

I have a V3i now and i know its the best, but i'm still learning with it. I'm looking for a back up that i can just turn on and go for those quick hunts and something for my dad and daughter to use. I'm leaning towards a treasure pro or mx7.

MX7 - hands down !!

Yep, MX7