Thread: Repair?

Repair?

I accidentally pulled the plug and my Treasure Pro was still ON and now I'm not so confident with the performance:
    No steady VDI numbers and no consistent Audio Tone and it's depth is disappointing.
    Also the sensitivity adjust seem to have little or no effect.

Do you think it's ready for repair?

Welcome to the forum Inspector Gadget. I’m a little confused about what you mean. My guess is you either disconnected the coil from the detector when it was on or you accidentally tugged on the coil cable.

(1) If you only disconnected the coil from the detector. This should not affect any of the electronics of the detector. This is only like disconnecting an antenna from a radio when it’s on. The metal detector coil is only that, an antenna. Disconnecting the coil when the detector is on shouldn’t harm the detector but anything is possible.

(2) If you tugged on the coil cable. This could be a problem leading to damaging the machine.

If you are sure the TreasurePro isn’t working properly than I would try resetting the detector back to it default settings and then test it to see if it’s working better. If that doesn’t work, turn on the detector and pop out the batteries and wait a minute and then reinstall the batteries and try the detector to see if it works like you remember it to work. If this doesn’t work then I’d send it in for repair. Make sure to leave a detailed letter in the box stating the problems you’re having. Good luck.
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

Removing the coil (if that's what happened) with power on won't hurt the detector one bit. Make sure you have a fresh set of good batteries. Hint: Just because they're NEW doesn't mean they're GOOD. Also make sure the coil connction is tight.

If new batts don't help, and all else is good, try the RESET as Rod suggested. If you're still not happy, send 'er in. Good luck.
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Yes, I disconnected the coil when it was still ON. I only run one short session outside and tested it but I am not satisfied with its performance: it's not what I see on Youtube about the Treasure Pro.

I will try the battery reset and see if things have improved, otherwise I send it in for repair.

I registered twice for this forum because my first attempt was not approved..

I have a TreasurePro and you should get very good depth, about ten inches on some coins. Good luck getting it working. I wish you the best.

Okay I have done a battery reset as suggested and it seems to be working now, but I'm not happy with the not steady VDI number. It's not solid as I watch on Youtube about the Treasure Pro, it changes with depth and sensitivity setting.
    This way it's difficult to determine an object's VDI number, should I send it to White's for a checkup?

Both target depth and sensitivity have an effect on signal strength, and hence the stability of the VDI. The weaker the signal, the less stable the VDI. This is true for ALL detectors that discriminate, regardless of manufacturer or model.

Hope this is helpful.
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Mine doesn't VDI real steady on a US nickel. The VDI is around 22 on a nickel. A US quarter VDI's 83 - 85. It just seems the low conductors just are not as steady. It still doesn't a great job. I'm not sure how yours is working on your coins.

The problem is I have european coins and the TreasurePro's coin index is american. I don't have steady VDI with the european coins, certainly not as solid as american coins on Youtube.
    The VDI can differ about 10 every time, so not really steady as you expect.

What's your coins made of? That would have a lot to do with the VDI. There's no ferrous metals in your coins, is there?

On Google it says they have cupper, nickel and some zink. What bothers me is in an airtest the closer value to coil is not the same as the further. Also sensitivity makes a difference.
    This way you can say the VDI offers no steady solid number for a target, as shown on Youtube.
    I wish mine did, makes ID-in alot more clear.

I'm hoping your TreasurePro is working properly. It kind of sounds like you are having a little issue. Did you buy it at a dealer? If so I would take it back and compare it to another TreasurePro. You could send it in too if you think it's not working properly. Leave a letter in the shipping box explaining your issues if you send it in. It's possible you have a bad coil or even a box issue. I'm leaning towards a coil though.

Even with my V3i the VDI number is not accurate on deep targets. You just have to listen to the machine and determine if it sounds good or not. You can hear the way the detector hits on the target and if they sound good then you just dig it up. If you have a target on edge, the VDI will jump all over sometimes. The only way you will know if the target is worth the time to dig is dig. The metal detector does its part in telling us if the item in the ground is ferrous or non ferrous. That's the first step in knowing if it's worth digging up when coin shooting.

When I run the TreasurePro, I run it pretty hot. It seems to do very well when the sensitivity is cranked up. I also put a 9" concentric coil on mine to try it out. It works very good too. I think the 9" coil ID's targets better then the 10"DD coil.

Well, good luck. We will figure out if your detector is working right.

Hi My Fellow TH'er
    The simple 'fix' to your issue is to just dig ever signal. After a while you will begin to see that icon 'X' is this coin and icon 'Y' is this coin. As with any new detector it will take a while to learn the basics and even longer to learn the details. You will see that the size and depth of a target will also have an impact on what you hear. Soil conditions as well as moisture in the soil play their part on making a day of digging good, bad, or indifferent. You have to put in the time to learn your detector. Read the user's manual then read it again. I know that the coins found in Europe are different than those found in the US, but they are still metal of one sort or another. Your detector will see anything metal that is under the coil as long as your program is correctly set up. You can place coins on the ground to get an idea of how your detector sees them but on coins and other metal items that have been in the ground for a long time they will register differently. I suggest starting with the all metal or relic programs as they will see the most targets. Air testing I have found to be a total waste of time as you do not find coins floating in the air, they may be on the surface but most will be in the ground. I wish you all the best of luck and hope that you have the patience to learn your detector.

Air testing I have found to be a total waste of time as you do not find coins floating in the air

Air testing is a good "go - no go" test. Its quick and will tell an experienced user a lot about how the machine is running.