Thread: Newbie here

Newbie here

Hello all,
    I recently bought my first detector (xlt) a few months back from a friend. We finally had our schedules work out and he took me out for the maiden voyage today. Had a lot of fun digging around the neighbors 100 year old property. So I'm still trying to grasp all the controls and what not, we tried one of Fox's pro formulas but there was too much trash so I set it back to a stock coin and jewelry mode. We found 5 60 year old matchbox cars and a silver dime. I guess my first question I have is, I keep getting good hits that read a consistant +78-80 which the machine likes as a quarter and my cheat sheet says possibly a quarter, however its typically an old bent nail haha. So what am I looking for to pass by or decide to dig?

Welcome to the forum. That’s fantastic you getting out to do some metal detecting. With this hobby you either love it or hate it. I hope you find happiness with it like many of us here on the forum have.

When you are out hunting for good targets, you are trying to figure out what targets are good and what are bad. The best way to learn this is to practice practice practice. But once you start to hear a good signal you dig it. It just might be a nail because sometimes those nails fool us all. Just dig all signals right now to learn what the detector is saying to you. You will learn the machine over time. Don’t forget to tinker with the settings of your detector. Learn all what it does and you will become one with the machine. Good luck and happy hunting.

Rodney
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

Welcome !! As you hunt and gain experience, you'll learn what a "good" target sounds like. Nails often have a "double blip", but not all the time. If you want ALL the good stuff, you'll have dig those "iffy" signals too, especially when it comes to gold, which will VDI anywhere in the range of -6 for a small chain toe +50 for a big college ring.

Just keep at it. Nothing beats experience !! Good luck !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Thanks guys! My 10yr old boy has a cheap bounty hunter and we have a blast searching around for treasures. Something we can do together, just the boys, without his sister annoying him haha. I did have some trouble running one of foxes hot programs but realized the next day the reason my machine was freaking out.. apparently my boys metal detector runs the same frequency and it was causing me problems. Now we have a distance rule and I plan on playing around with the hot programs again soon if the weather permits.

Yeah, sometimes you will have that happen when frequencies are the same or close to the same. I started out with a Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300. I found a lot of nice finds with that machine. Well, I hope you get some good weather to hunt in. Me, I have snow on the ground and a lot more on the way tonight.
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

That's called "crosstalk" - when two machines interfere ... If you want to learn how to deal with bad EMI, get close to the other unit and change your settings until your machine is quiet .... HINT: Start with Freq Offset ... (Trasmit Frequency)
    Last edited by deolslyfox; Yesterday at 04:35 PM.
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Welcome! That XLT is a great machine. Took mine out before the snow and picked up some old coins including silver. Ditto what Rod and Fox said. Good luck. Looking forward to seeing your finds.