Thread: Whites tdi sl?

Whites tdi sl?

I am a cache hunter mostly and i am wondering if the TDI SL can get down 3 to 4 feet deep on a larger target. Say larger than a coffee can target? Would like to hear from someone who knows or has experience with this. This will not be in highly minerlized soil. Oklahoma soil to be exact. Thanks

No experience cache hunting with SL, but I can tell you from experience that it will see a bobbie pin at 14" and a 1 ounce lead sinker at 18". That's in wet salt sand.
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Thanks fox

That is a tough question, three to four feet is really deep for any detector. I've not dug anything that deep with my TDI SL but old cans, mostly all torn up and rusty, are something that I've dug up to a couple feet down for.

You might consider a TM808, depending on the size target and contents. "Larger than a coffee can" is a big range. Could be a 5 gallon bucket, dead VW beetle, et al

Maybe you could find someplace that would rent a detector. Or, find a dealer and try an air test on a coffee can...

And FWIW, the few "caches" I have located were well under two feet deep. The deepest was a "posthole bank". It was a quart jar of coins about 18" deep, and I got it with a 6000 series VLF ...

Good luck !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

A jar of coins at 18” is awesome Fox.
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

When you learned to listen to those old Blue Box machines, they would do a stellar job !! You had to listen for subtle changes, dropouts, skips, etc, but when you learned what to investigate, you were well rewarded. I have pulled minie' balls from over a foot deep with that old 6KDS2 ....

Quote Originally Posted by deolslyfox View Post
    When you learned to listen to those old Blue Box machines, they would do a stellar job !! You had to listen for subtle changes, dropouts, skips, etc, but when you learned what to investigate, you were well rewarded. I have pulled minie' balls from over a foot deep with that old 6KDS2 ....
    Right on Fox. My best was with the 6000 Di 3: a 1795 US large cent at 14 inches. Definitely a smok'in machine!

If you really want depth, we use a Geonics EM31 for archaeological work to detect changes in soil electrical conductivity. It can detect either to 6 feet or 20 feet in depth.

What do they cost? Think i saw something similar on The Curse of Oak Island.

They are a specialty item we use to find burials, foundations, large anomolies, and changes in soil geology. New they run about $38K with data logger and software. We we're lucky to find an older non-computerized model at an estate sale and I got it up and running.

Hi My Fellow TH'ers
    I dug a Civil War boot pistol at 14.5 inches. It does get down a good long ways. ;-)

seems like a back-hoe might be a good combination with that detector
    If the bass ain't biting, I'm scratchin for silver