Prizm coil issues....maybe??

I just purchased a used prizm iv with stock coil for 75 dollars off craigslist...it powered on and everything looked good...but later on that afternoon I played around with it....I put out a penny nickel dime and quarter....I was impressed the display...it picked up on each item and displayed them correctly...as a quarter dime ect....the distance also registered correct at 2 to 4 iniches as i was very close to them......but this is my problem... I couldn't get anything deeper or further away from that....meaning nothing at 6 to 8 inches and further....no sound...nothing...
    This doesn't seem right to me....shouldn't I be getting readings at least 8 inches??

I had it on factory settings...placed the items on my carpet....and went over each item at 2 inches and went up from there....lost single at about 5 to 6 inches

My first question is going to be this... are you setting up the detector right. You should be picking up a quarter at 8 to 10 inches while doing an air test if the machine is setup right. You may have a coil problem if the setup is correct. Honestly, read the manual if you haven't already. Let us know what you find.

https://2n8l501nj5nyy72iq1aeel55-wpe...ned_manual.pdf
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

I haven't read the instruction manual...I will......but I have watched the instruction video for the prizm from whites....but even with the defult settings I should be able to get a reading at 8 inches...and I have messed with the sensitivity still nothing over 4 inches

This can be an issue with the box or the coil. The best thing I can recommend is box it up and send it to White's to have it looked over. White's will fix, tune, and check everything including the coil(s) you have. Sometimes it's just worth sending it in to just get a tune up. If you do send it back to White's, make sure to leave a letter in the packaging stating the problems you're having with the machine. White's will get it working like new again. The Prizm IV is a nice detector and it should get more depth than 4 inches.

I was thinking....maybe upgrade the coil to something better first...can't hurt to have a better or upgraded coil....then it that doesn't fix it....send it in....

If I upgrade the coil....any recommendations? I live in maine....lakes region area....lots of beaches...thinking spider coil or the 950

First, try the unit outside in dirt, not on your floor with nails, staples, wiring, pipes, etc. If that's not feasible because of snow, etc, try an air test. If the unit can see a coin at 6-8" in the air, it will do the same in the dirt, assuming it is set up correctly and the ground matrix isn't terrible.

Good luck !!
    Last edited by deolslyfox; 12-02-2018 at 05:47 PM.
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

I think purchasing a new coil is a great idea. This way you can determine if it's a bad coil you have. White's has some really good coils to pick from. I really like the 10"DD coil that just came out in the last few years. I use one that came on my daughter's TreasurePro. I even have the 9" Spider for it and it's a great coil too.

White's Prizm coils.https://www.whiteselectronics.com/pr...erprizm-coils/

Ok will do....still any recommendations on a coil upgrades?

Sorry didn't see your reply....I'll look into it and try an air test also

Okay so this is really confusing me now... I did an air test this morning with default settings... With a quarter I got a signal up to about 6 in... If I turn the sensitivity all the way up and Max it out I get a signal somewhere around 8 inches...but shouldn't I get a signal at 8 inches without having to turn sensitivity so high??...
    So then I put a quarter in the grass.... Once again could not get any signal over 4 in... Even with sensitivity up...

So air test 6 inches default settings
    Air test with sensitivity maxed out 8 inches
    Then tested a quarter laying in the grass...max 4 inchs

I don't know what to think

If you feel comfortable cleaning the male and female terminals on the connector and box, I'd try that just to make sure they are getting good contact. Be very careful though. If you mess this up your up a creek without a paddle. To clean the female terminals you need a special electrical terminal cleaning kit. This is just a thought too. Put the detector up on a table with the coil away from any metal. Now try this... use a yard stick or ruler to tap around the coil and see if you hear any signals from the detector. "Don't beat on it, just a medium tap." Also tap or flick the cable lightly. If you do hear any beeps for the detector the coil or cable is probably bad from having damaged shielding inside.

Sounds like you are not ground balancing properly ....
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

How do I do that exactly with a prizm iv??

Also I do not get any sounds from tapping the coil or moving the wire and the connections from the box looks mint....

Find a clean patch of ground using PP (All Metal) mode

In normal search mode, pump the coil up and down about 8" until there is minimum change in the audio

Begin hunting ....

Sorry we are having such a difficult time identifying the problem.

If everything is looking fine than it might be worth checking the coil by getting a new one. It just might be a bad coil. If it turns out being the box, than at least your going to have a new coil when you get it fixed. The 10”DD is my recommendation. You’ll then have a DD and concentric coil. Nice for hunting pretty much everywhere.

At this point, if you're satisfied that you're doing everything right and want to keep the machine, I'd send it in to Whites for a bench check / cal. Send the coil along too. When it comes back it will be like new.

I don't know what else to suggest ...

"Normal" search mode meaning default settings I assume

I'm going to try to ground balancing the way that you had suggested if that doesn't resolve the problem I'm going to order a new coil tonight.... Should have that in no time... If that doesn't work which I have a feeling it will.... I'll send it in to be bench tested and calibrated... Appreciate all your help I'll let you know how the ground balancing goes... And then I'll keep you posted on the new coil...

Hi My Fellow THer Priceless
    The first thing to do is to read the user's manual front to back, then read it again. Read it until you really understand the Detector, and this goes for every user and every detector.
    My best guess is that you either have a coil connection issue, a bad coil, or a problem in the box. You might try getting a 2nd coil and seeing if that corrects the problem. Next thing to do is send your detector along with the coil(s) to Whites and have them do a tune-up on your unit. Over the years since my 1st Whites Detector (1984) I have returned two detectors that died, three that had problems, and two others that needed to be tuned up prior to selling them.
    Whites will do a great job of repairing your detector. Believe me, I have some experience with their ability. ;-)

Thanks for keeping us up to date on your new coil. I’m really hoping that’s the problem. And if it is the problem and you go with a DD coil. I believe you’ll like it better than the concentric coil anyways. The DD coils are better at separating targets and work super in mineralized ground as most of us have. The DD coil takes a little time to get use too so have patience learning it. Once you understand how it works you’re going to love it.

I just came up with an idea... I have at home a White's classic 2 the coil looks identical to the one I posted in this link.... Which also says it will work for a prizm... If the posting is correct...anyways if the serial numbers match up I may try to swap it over see what happens... What do you think?? BTW the ground balancing did not work...

<Removed Link>

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	112487
    Last edited by rchalker; 12-03-2018 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Advertising Selling and Buying Site

The link got removed ....so the serial number is a match... so I may try it

I posted the photo of the coil from the link.

If they are the same coil then give it a try.

I'm sitting here thinking and I'm not sure that's a Prizm coil or not. We need to wait until Fox gets back online. He's an encyclopedia of information. But that might be the problem with the depth. Don't quote me on that!!!

No that's the one off my classic 2 its matching the ad on eBay that is listed for a prizm....does that make sense? Lol I know confusing...the one I currently have on my prizm iv is the stock coil...says prizm iv right on it....

If you Google prizm iv coil you come across that coil on eBay...listed for a prizm...so not really sure if it actually can fit it...the number on it is 624-0179-1

I'd just give it a try. I'm pretty sure they are the same. If they are not then the only thing that would happen is it wouldn't work very well.

All the Prizm 2,3,4,5 coils are interchangeable ....

The issue with buying from a non-dealer is simple: Why is it for sale in the first place and how do you know its good? More especially if you are using it for troubleshooting ....

Negative....does not fit....and I did some research it's a ....Eight Inch Blue Max 800 Flat Bottom. Mid to late 90's

Okay I broke down and got the DD coil... ordered it right from Whites website.... Hopefully it doesn't take too long to get it I'll keep you guys posted from what I find out.... worst case scenario is I have to send it in to have it repaired or I upgrade to a treasure hunter... Or something this DD coil is compatible with...

My fingers are crossed for you.

This will help you with legacy coils .... http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/...tibility-Chart

this list must be old... the 10" DD is not listed under the Prizms.... 10" was recently released right? or somewhat recent?.... I was also wondering on the history of the prizms and the treasures....did the treasure line replace the prizms?? and then it was treasure hunter....master and pro??

That list is pretty old. But anyways... The 10"DD coil was released a few years back but only available with the TreasurePro at first. Now the coil is sold separately. From my experience using the coil on the TreasurePro, it's a fantastic coil. It's has really good depth and works really good in mineralization. It covers ground faster than the 9" concentric coil too.

The 10"DD Coil works with the...Prizm, Coinmasters, Treasure Master, TreasurePro.

As noted in my post .... The list is for LEGACY (older) coils ....

Quote Originally Posted by deolslyfox View Post
    As noted in my post .... The list is for LEGACY (older) coils ....
    Yeah I get that it's for legacy coils.... But that doesn't mean the list couldn't have been written a month ago.... I was just stating that it was made prior to the release of the DD 10 inch coil coming out for the prizm... So I get its a list for older coils ...but the list on top of that was also made a long time ago ;-)