V3i & Ground Probe

Okay I am in the middle of creating a pretty good tip sheet for the V3i and I plan to make some very extensive videos in the future. But since the V3i has been out for awhile there has to be somebody out there that has the answers to these questions:

1) When in Ground Tracking/Ground Probe mode what exactly is the VDI number telling me? What does positive number vs negative number mean? I read itís the normalized reading but again that doesnít help me. Does it relate to a VDI number I have for coin IDs?

2) Under Phase what do those numbers mean against the frequencies?

3) I have read conflicting posts on when to hit the zero button one said put the coil in the air, one said put it on the ground away from the target

4) Next to the word Strength is Gain what does that number correlate to? RX Gain?

Any help would be appreciated....

Welcome .... "Normalized" means that the raw phase is converted to the +95/0/-95 VDI scale that White's detectors employ.

The rest of your questions are covered in the on board HELP feature. Too much to type here.

Select Ground Tracking. Press ZOOM. Then press MENU + ZOOM to bring up Zero / Ground Probe discussions. Use up / down arrows to move around.

This might be helpful too: http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/...7-Ground-Probe

You will find a lot of tips and explainations here as well: http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/...d-User-s-Guide

Good luck !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Seriously, everyone seems to be interested in this reading but in all honesty the Ground Probe feature is overrated. It's best to know the settings of the V3i and what they do. This way you can set the machine up faster and to the way it needs to be set to. Even if you understand the Ground Probe and you setup the detector to the readings you get using it, you will most likely need to tweak the Rx-Gain not to mention other settings to get the detector to run smooth and quiet. I too at one time learned how to use the Ground Probe but now I find it to be more work than it's worth. The ground conditions like mineralization, EMI, ground noise, trash levels, and amount of iron changes to much to get the Ground Probe to work the way people want it to. Yes, it was pretty neat to think this feature would work perfectly but it doesn't. Sorry to be the one to bring bad news but it is what it is.
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

Hey V3i don. Where in Georgia are you? Iím in the NE about 60 miles outside Atlanta. Iív been away from the hobby for a few years but now I want to start again. If you would like to talk sometime, it would be my pleasure. Maybe we could get together and detect.

After I posted that I sort of answered most of my own questions by doing some more digging around on the internet. Thanks for the speedy response.

Hey I am down in Warner Robins. I have a club on Meetup.com look for Middle Georgia Metal Detecting Club..come join!!

Ground probe: low mineralized ground..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oktober 9 iphone 5S 2018 106_DxO.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	112486
    Last edited by EL NINO; 12-03-2018 at 01:36 AM.

I'm not one you asked, but I live in NE Ga also near Athens. Are you near Athens?