Classic SL Trimpot settings

Last week I was having problems with my Classic SL making all sorts of noises. Thought it was the ground balance so I tried setting it. The noise would get quiet and then get louder when I moved the Sensitivity knob. So I thought I would clean the potentiometers. From my guitar building days, I knew these pots would get dirty at times and a good squirt of electrical cleaner would solve the problem. However, before I did this I did fiddle with the trimpots mounted on the circuit board VR3 (disc) and VR5 (Frequency). Now I would like to get them back to factory settings or at least know the procedures to restore it to factory.

Or even better If someone could let me know approximately where these trimpots are set (Clock scale would be great) I currently have them set to VR3 1:30 and VR3 at 10 o'clock.

Any help would be great!

Sorry for being a dummy by messing with the factory set trimpots

Welcome to the forum .... No help here on the trim pots. Each unit will be a bit different...
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Welcome to the forum. Did you ever hear the saying, “If there’s nothing wrong with it, don’t mess with it?” We’ve all done something like playing with a circuit board. We all think we can make it work better if we turn this or tweak that. I think your best bet is to send it back to White’s and they will go over the whole machine and then you’ll know it’s working properly. The Classic SL is built like a tank so it’s worth fixing. Good luck and happy hunting.

Rodney
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

The pots mounted on the case must have been dirty because they were making the machine wig out pretty bad and no adjustments would do any good. Just fishing to see if anyone could look at their machine real quick to see if I was in the ballpark on my settings. Anyway, I need to correct my post. My settings are VR5 1:30 and VR3 at 10 o'clock.

Before I send it in I wanted to see if I was close. I understand that resistors in the unit vary a bit and those trim pots are not meant to be messed with but at that time, I had nothing to lose. If I new the case mounted pots just needed cleaning I wouldn't have messed with them.

This is my wife's detector and she keeps eyeballing my V3i so you can imagine my desperation.

You did it now. I bet she's lights up like a Christmas tree when she looks at your V3i. You might have to break down and get her one now. White's has a nice Christmas deal going on right now too. She'll be making out like a champ no doubt. LOL!!!

As for the settings you're looking for. I don't know who's going to look at their machine to get that kind of info from it. You might get luck though. Good luck.

The bigger point is that setting your trimmers like someone else's may or may not get you close. The machine should go in for proper setup. Meanwhile, as Rod noted, there are some super deals on the Whites website right now. A V3i might be just the ticket to earn you "Super Santa" status. .
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

It is normal for most metal detectors to beep when you adjust the sensitivity. Basically you are adjusting the signal, the single is what prompts the metal detector to beep, thus, it makes noise during adjustment. No worries, one can tell that is what is occurring.

Most Classic models have two adjustable trimmers, one for the threshold, and one for the ground balance.

With the toggle on the grip locked forward (all metal) adjust the Threshold trimmer so that you can hear a very slight hum. The quieter yet still hearable the better.

With the toggle locked forward (all metal), sensitivity at "P", set the ground balance Trimmer so that when you abruptly lower and lift the search coil from the ground, there is as little change in sound as possible.

Howard

Thanks Howard.

Thanks Howard ....