Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Today I watched a few YouTube videos put out by Whites on the DFX and what
    I picked up is if I want to search mainly for silver coins I should hunt in the 3kHz,
    and the 15KHz will pick up nickels and gold rings along with iron objects, and to
    get more depth turn up the VDI & AC Sensitivity settings equally. Of course I
    could be wrong on that? I was busy doing something else while I watched the
    videos.
    As soon as the weather improves enough to get outside with the DFX I will check
    out the other programs.

I have been checking out the search could on Amazon and kicking around
    the ideal of another search coil, after reading some of the comments made
    by people who have purchased a new coil I wonder if a new coil would help
    with my searching around my house.
    Any suggestions? Would a different search coil be any help at all? There are
    a few Eclipse coils listed, a 4x6 & a 6x10?
    My wife told me about burying a coffee can with toys and money when she
    was a little, something I have been trying to find.

You are best served with the 950 concentric unless you are in high mineralization or high trash. I would invest some time in learning the DFX's features and functions before investing in additional coils. The 950 will see deeper than any of the DD coils you mentioned, thus improving the chances of hitting on that can.

AND .... DFX always TX/RX BOTH frequencies. You are simply selecting which channel to use when you switch to single freq mode. Also, you lose the Correlate feature in single freq, which makes it harder to deal with iron and other ferrous targets / matrix.

Hence the need to learn how the features and functions of your DFX work and interact ...
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

I do remember you telling me that the DFX always transmits in both freakquencies,
    but when you select one frequency over the other aren't you telling the machine that
    you are only looking for objects detected by, let's say the 3kHz over the 15kHz

Nope. Anything the DFX sees with the 15KHz signal will be seen by the 3Khz signal. One freq may "hit harder", but both freqs will see it. If you are serious about becoming a "DFX expert" (and you should be), get a copy of "Digging Deeper With The DFX". It gets pretty technical, but when you comprehend everything in that book, you will "become one" with your DFX. Give yourself at least a year to "really get to know" the DFX and know how to get the best out of it under all conditions.
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Red face Digging Deeper with the DFX

Hi Fox,

Well I do have that book in hand and I started reading it today.
    I have a better understanding of how the search coil works and
    how it generates the different VDI numbers, now I understand
    why I have dug up so many brass casings, they generate the
    same high numbers as a silver coin would generate.

My brother-in-laws did shoot a lot, they didn't like to pick up
    the brass after shooting tho.

Well maybe I will be able to get out this weekend and do a
    little bit of detecting and digging, it will be set and muddy
    but it is suppose to be close to 60 degrees😊

I have read some of your post in this forum and noticed
    that you like the 6x10 DD search coil, is that an Eclipse?
    From your postings about that coil it must work great?

Are the aftermarket search coils even worth looking at?
    Amazon has a number of aftermarket coils listed that
    I have looked at, but I am not sure how or if they would
    work on a DFX?
    Last edited by KYrookie; 11-30-2018 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Adding to text

Yep, those brass casings can really bug you if you're in an area where somebody did some shooting.

That's going to be nice, 60 is very good hunting weather. It's going to be 54 here on Sunday but supposed to rain.

Well, good luck and happy hunting. I hope you find something great.
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

Hello rchalker,

Do you have a lot of places to metal detect where you live?
    What is your favorite setup and what are the soil conditions
    like?

Around this old farm house after you dig down about 6" you
    run into a clay base, I have found a couple of different places
    where they must of had pills of coal for heating and cooking.
    There is also a cistern that was dug out by hand and lined with
    rock, I found my 1899 half dollar about 4 feet from the cistern
    top. When they dug out the cistern they just put all the dirt in
    piles around the side of the house, it leveled out over time.

The original house was built in 1923 from trees cut and milled
    on the farm. Plenty of history no telling what I will find, just
    hope the stock coil will go deep enough?

Hello KY,
    The area I live in isn't a Civil War hot spot at all but I can't complain about places to hunt. We have a lot of old parks that let us dig as long as we respect the land. The old homesteads is one of my favorite places to dig. I have found more interesting things on these old home sites than any other. In the beginning it took me a while to get the courage to knock on peoples' doors but now that I do it I'm on a roll.

I hunt some areas in my county that has soil like yours. You dig down about 6-7" and you hit a layer of clay. When I dig a large plug the soil just separates right at the level of clay and stone.

Those spots you are finding with the burned coal pick right up with the detectors. Those are excellent signs of a good place to dig. Obviously because you found a special find, your 1899 Half Dollar had to be an exciting dig. I found a 1897 Half Dollar this year at a permission of mine. They are beautiful coins no doubt about it. And there's nothing better than seeing a large round coin in a hole.

That DFX is a really good detector, it does a great job and has very good depth using the stock coil. If you do get another coil I would get a 10"DD. It works well in mineralized soil and helps separate targets. I wouldn't worry about getting a coil yet. The coil you are using seems to be doing a super job still.

Sounds like you have a really good place to hunt. be sure to post your finds on the forum. We here really enjoy seeing what's being found by the White's machines. Well good luck and happy hunting.

Rodney

KY: The 6X10"DD is indeed a favorite of mine when paired with the DFX. It gives excellent depth and separation. Some people swear by after market coils. Others sweat at 'em. I only own, use and recommend OEM coils. They are designed to provide optimum performance with your detector and are covered by the Whites warranty and "gold standard" of customer support.

Fox is right about the 6x10"DD being a favorite too. It works very well.

I use a Detech 13"DD coil sometimes in the fields just because I have it but I always use White's coils on my most meticulous hunting while only moving my coil 2/3 to 3/4 forward on each swing. White's builds a great coil. White's coils just ring in nice on a target and have a very accurate VDI reading. I swear the blind can identify an aftermarket coil vs a White's just from the sound.

Hi Rodney & Fox,

My house is located in northern KY so I do not have any civil war sights that
    I could do any detecting on either, but that is ok with me. My luck I would
    find one of those unexploded cannon balls. I did find a 12 gauge shot gun
    shell in my front yard that had not been fired, glad I didn't strike the primer
    when I dug it up , it was about 6" down.

I have read a few posts about the aftermarket coils and from what I have
    read, sometimes you get a good coil and sometimes you get a coil you
    have to send back for a replacement, so I guess that I will stick with
    a Whites coil when I can afford a new coil.

Is there a for sale section that people use or is EBay the way to go?

I was looking at the Signature Series Finds bag, I tried to find out how
    many pockets the bags has and so far all I have found out is there
    is a webbed pocket on the side for the pinpointer and a big zippered
    pocket on the front and the main section is one big pocket for you
    treasures. Is there any pockets on the inside of the main compartment
    and if there are any, is there snaps or zippers to close them?

Which coil would be a good choice for a second coil, a 10" DD or a 6x 10 DD?

Darrell

Hello Darrell,

Unfired bullets, you shouldn't worry about those too much. The moisture in the ground has most likely saturated the gun powder so it won't fire.

As for the coil. If you hunt grounds that are somewhat trashy then go with the 6x10"DD. If you hunt grounds that are mostly clean but you run into an occasional trashy area then the 10"DD coil is the coil to go with. I know it's hard to understand what trashy is for what coil. It's kind of something you just test out and learn on the way. The 10"DD gets a little more depth over the 6x10"DD. Me I prefer the 10"DD, it's my go to coil to start off in any area. I've mastered this coil so even in a fairly trashy area I can come home with something good. I usually use the 10"DD and the 4x6"DD Shooter. The 4x6"DD is for very trashy areas. It's a surgical tool when hunting in a high trash area.

The Signature Series Finds Bag, I haven't picked one up yet. Sorry I can't answer any of your questions about it.

Rodney

There's no buying and / or selling on the site ....

Hi My Fellow TH'ers
    I love my DFX! I have used it as a backup detector with every new Whites detector I have upgraded to. I always suggest using the Relic mode and to listen for those very faint signals. DIG EVERY TARGET! Most of the areas that I TH are in Northern Virginia, so lots of Civil War relics are found. I do find coins and with the relic program, you will hear many more targets as it sees everything. I also sell all the scrap metal that I find as a way to recoup funds for additional accessories, coils, pinpointers, coil covers, etc. KYrookie, I am guessing you are in Kentucky and if so you should be able to locate Civil War relics. Congrats on the finds that you have made and don't get too upset with scraping some of your finds as EVERYONE has done that a time or two. You just need more experience on how to pinpoint the targets and then dig your holes a bit larger so as to better ensure that you are not digging right on the item. I have scraped a few Civil War bullets as well as a few coins; hey, it happens. One thing to remember is no matter who finds an item, ask yourself who owns it? If you say it is yours, well, guess again, you are only the current caretaker! Yes, you can sell or give an item away, but all you do by doing so is to transfer ownership to someone else! I suggest either the 950 coil or 10 inch DD Coil for the DFX. These are the two coils that I use most of the time. I do have several other coils but like these two best! I do wish you all the best and look forward to seeing more of your finds. They are out there, you just need to take your time and dig everything! ;-)

Here is my 2nd Meteor which was found in Leesburg, Virginia

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Meteor found in Leesburg, Virginia backside view, 9-12-2018.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	112482Hi My Fellow TH'ers
    Yes, KYrookie, I have found two meteors so far with my DFX. One in a city park in Jackson, Michigan and the second one came out of a hay field in Leesburg, Virginia. This is never easy finds to be made. In both cases, I could hear the target but fining it was not all that easy as both had turned to the soil color. It was only after I picked up the 'Rock' that I could tell they were much heavier than they looked like they should weigh. Talk about finding a needle in a hay stack, these are that for sure! I wish you all the best of luck! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by THing4CSA View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Meteor found in Leesburg, Virginia backside view, 9-12-2018.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	112482Hi My Fellow TH'ers
    Yes, KYrookie, I have found two meteors so far with my DFX. One in a city park in Jackson, Michigan and the second one came out of a hay field in Leesburg, Virginia. This is never easy finds to be made. In both cases, I could hear the target but fining it was not all that easy as both had turned to the soil color. It was only after I picked up the 'Rock' that I could tell they were much heavier than they looked like they should weigh. Talk about finding a needle in a hay stack, these are that for sure! I wish you all the best of luck! ;-)
    That's a terrific find CSA.

How much depth can I get running my DFX with the coil that came
    with it from Whites in the Relic program? I guess the stock coil
    would be a 950 coil? By the time I get to buy another coil I will
    have plenty of time and experience using the stock coil.

Those are some great finds CSA. I don't think there were ever any
    Civil War battles around my house, there might have been troop
    movements through or close by? Where would someone get old
    maps to aid in metal detecting?

I have read some postings made by other members talking about
    buying used search coils and metal detectors, I was just wondering
    where they had bought them.

Darrell

How much depth can I get running my DFX with the coil that came with it from Whites in the Relic program?

There is no "one answer" to that question. Things that affect depth with ANY coil include:
    Detector settings
    Mineralization
    Moisture
    Fidelity of ground balance
    Size and aspect of target
    User experience

A "rule of thumb" is that "theoretical max depth" is about 1.5 times the coil size for a quarter size target. I find that to be a bit generous, but attainable with an experienced operator working in near perect conditions. I find about 1.25 X coil size to be more reasonable. Starting out, after some practice, you should be able to nail quarters at 8" - 10" with the 950.

FYI: When comparing elliptical DD coils to round coils, use the NARROW margin of the DD coil. Hence the 6X10"DD would be considered a 6" coil.

Again .... Nothing beats practice and knowing your detector.

Fox said it all.

Just remember the 950 coil is a great coil but also remember this too, a concentric coil gets it's best depth right in the middle of the coil.

In my soil I've hit a quarter at 11 inches with the 950 Eclipse but if I moved the coil two inches in any direction, I would lose the signal.

Well I was able to get a little detecting today, it was real windy and the
    ground was wet. I didn't find anything worth keeping but I did turn on
    the D.C.Phase, the ground minerals range from 83 down to 30.

I am learning about the different settings on my DFX and it looks like
    I will have plenty of time to read Digging Deeper with the DFX?

Well it was fairly decent weather today so I did a little metal detecting
    with my DFX. I have 2 versions of Fox's coin program loaded on my
    detector, one running with 3KHz the other running with all of Fox's settings.

Today I used the 3KHz and checked close to our gravel driveway I found a
    Roosevelt dime, 6 zinc pennies and part of a toy knight made of lead.
    If weather and time allows some more detecting tomorrow maybe I will
    set it up for best data and check the same area tomorrow.

That's great you got to do some hunting. I been trying to get out to hunt my own yard again just to see what's new in it. I have a few permissions on my street to start on too. I know they are some of the first homes on the street according to the county auditors website. I have use the county auditors website for years to research dates of construction.

Has anyone hunted along the edges of sidewalks? I checked
    my sidewalk, that is where I found the 1927 Mercury Dime.

My wife tells me that I need to check under some bleachers
    in a park that is a few miles away. It is a city park and I think
    that I will need permission to hunt that park?
    There is a elementary school close by that my wife attended
    and yes she wants me to hunt that area.
    I am not sure but I think that I will need permission to hunt there?
    I will have to do a little research and find out who to ask.
    I wonder what my odds are for approval to hunt these areas?

Let me say this... If you ask to hunt an area, the answer you will most likely get is “NO.” You are better off just digging on public property sites without asking. When city officials don’t know the answer to the question, they’ll say no. I have only had a few places where I have been stopped from MD’ing. The worse thing that has happened to me is I was told not to hunt there. I then go to the town trustees to get permission.

Sometimes it better to ask for forgiveness than to get permission. But I still recommend you do it properly - mainly so you don't get your detector confiscated. People are brutal nowadays - not like back in the day so be careful.