One For The Button Guys

I found this kool old button. It looks like it was in the ground for a long time. It was pretty crusty. I cleaned it up till it doesn’t look too bad. The diameter is .600”, slightly smaller then a dime. On the back, at the top, I believe it says ‘D.Evans & CO.’ On the bottom it says ‘N.A.’ I would appreciate if anyone could tell me anything about it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eagle Button 9-21-18.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	112304

No help, but nice button !! Good hit !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Hey Joe, long time since we talked. I hope everything is well.

As for the button. That’s a general service button from both WWI and WWII. That’s a hard button to ID which war because it was used in both. That button is in sweet condition. Very nice find.
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

It's hard to tell from your pictures so can you tell if it has a black finish on it? If so it would date between 1910 and 1923. Just so you know, on your cuff size button backmark the N A stands for North Attleboro, Mass where it was manufactured. D. Evans & Co, was in business from 1848-1946. There is a discussion on another forum that says a similar backmarked button from WWI was found in France.
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

fyrffytr1, this button was badly corroded when I found it. It was soaked in vinegar, dipped in toilet bowl cleaner, and soaked in liquid soldering flux to get the green crust off it. I'm surprised it cleaned up as well as it did. It's hard to tell if it ever had a black finish on it. Thanks for the info about it.
    Last edited by Joe Kool; 10-03-2018 at 07:32 PM.

fyrffytr1, I took a closer look at the button under magnification and the area where the front folds over the back side appears to be coated with a black baked enamel. The face was badly corroded, which I cleaned and I cleaned the back but I really didn't looked closely at the rolled over area. It was probably all black at one time, so it's probably a 1910 to 1923 era button as you stated. Again, thanks for the help.

Good job on the ID !! Good clean-up too !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Hi My Fellow TH'ers
    Congrats on the US Army button. Love finding buttons! I suggest going back over that area and see if there are any more to be found! ;-)

THing4CSA, I found this button in a big old park. Very few people detect it any more, believing it's hunted out. It has been hunted hard and there is a lot of junk but if we go slow and analyze every piece of junk we pick out the goodies. The V3i is a great machine for this type a hunting. We never know what will turn up. Silver coins, buttons, tokens and sometime silver and gold jewelry. It's rare when my two friends or myself don't find something good for the mornings detecting.

Joe: Some of my favorite spots are "hunted out" patches. I'm happy to be out for a couple of hours and bag a piece of silver, wheat, injun, warnic, etc. I don't think a place is ever really "cleaned out" ....