When to ground balance

Hi Guys,

After I've pinpointed a target, I usually press menu on the V3I and lay it to the side while I dig the plug. By doing this, do you think it's necessary to re-ground balance after re-entering my previous program?

Also, is ground balancing necessary if I switch to another program? I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

Thanks

Not an expert, but if you have autotrac turned off I don't think you would need to rebalance after recovering a target. As for changing programs, I always do a rebalance. I don't know that it's necessary, but it can't hurt. Good luck with your hunts.

By just entering the Menu System and then back to Search Mode is not reason to ground balance again. But you should always ground balance if you make any changes to the settings or if you change programs.
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

I switch to menu when retrieving a target because my pin pointer upsets the V3i. After switching back to the search programme I always do a rebalance and it is surprising how often the machine needs to be ground balanced again.

Any time a setting / program is changed, you should re-balance. It only takes a couple of seconds. I always hunt with AutoTrack active, so the lay-down / pick-up process isn't an issue ....
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyjohn View Post
    I switch to menu when retrieving a target because my pin pointer upsets the V3i. After switching back to the search programme I always do a rebalance and it is surprising how often the machine needs to be ground balanced again.
    Does going to menu turn off the transmit/recieve to and from the coil? My pinpointer, Fisher F-pulse, will also upset my V3i if it gets to close. I may have to try this next time I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by dingode View Post
    Does going to menu turn off the transmit/recieve to and from the coil? My pinpointer, Fisher F-pulse, will also upset my V3i if it gets to close. I may have to try this next time I'm out.
    Honestly, that's something I've never tested. I wouldn't think it would stop the Rx and Tx from working. Maybe someone here will have more information on this for you.
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

If memory serves, V3i continues to transmit and receive when you enter the MENU to silence for digging. I just tried it with my MX Sport and that's how it appears to work.
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

whitesguy, I spent countless hours figuring out the the solution to the problem of losing the Ground Balance when setting the V2i down to dig a hole. Look at the Ground Balance and Tracking section in my Beginners Guide. http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/...eginners+Guide I made a mistake when typing up this section and missed the mistake on the proof reads. So read this correction. http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/...eginners+Guide From the number of your posts, I assume you are a newbie to the V3i. Read my Beginners Guide. Along with the manual, everything you need to know to get a good basic understanding of the V3i is there.

Highly recommend Joe Cools beginner guide.
    Whites V3i/ MXT Pro/ MXT / MX Sport / MX 7