Thread: Treasure Master

Treasure Master

Hi all

I am living in Cardiff, Wales, really new to the hobby and have just bought a Treasure Master. I have been out a few times and played with the settings but just get rubbish. Can anyone just give me basic settings for both the surf and turf that I can turn to? I am getting confused between sensitivity and threshold. Therefore, I think it might be best to set these for both until I get more familiar to the sounds and then I can adjust with more knowledge. Thanks in advance if you can help.

Welcome to the forum Bernice.

I would start out with Coin and Jewery. The threshold if not use to hearing it takes a little time to understand. What threshold helps with is hearing the iron in the ground and you can also hear deeper targets with it on. You can turn it off and start learning the sounds of the machine without it on and then turn it back up for you can hear it when you get more familiar with the sounds. You want the threshold up just enough that you just hear it a little bit. Once you get use to using it you will like it I'm sure. It can save you from digging a lot of false targets that are just iron. As for the sensitivity, you turn it up until you start getting some false signals or if you're hearing EMI. Once it starts falsing, back the sensitivity back one or two.
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

Thanks

I will try as I am on a rally tomorrow in a cropped field. I use Coin and Jewellery and mid sensitivity. I will just turn the threshold off, until I am more confident with the beeps. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by rchalker View Post
    Welcome to the forum Bernice.

I would start out with Coin and Jewery. The threshold if not use to hearing it takes a little time to understand. What threshold helps with is hearing the iron in the ground and you can also hear deeper targets with it on. You can turn it off and start learning the sounds of the machine without it on and then turn it back up for you can hear it when you get more familiar with the sounds. You want the threshold up just enough that you just hear it a little bit. Once you get use to using it you will like it I'm sure. It can save you from digging a lot of false targets that are just iron. As for the sensitivity, you turn it up until you start getting some false signals or if you're hearing EMI. Once it starts falsing, back the sensitivity back one or two.

Bernice, you have some of the best hunting grounds in the world. I would absolutely love to hunt in the UK. Well good luck to you and happy days.

Bernice, I just wanted to let you know there's some other coils available for your Treasure Master. The stock concentric coil you have it's a super coil, it works great in high EMI areas and low to medium mineralization. I have the TreasurePro I use this coil on. It's very easy to hunt and pinpoint with too. I think out of all the coils available, you will want to get a 4x6"DD Shooter coil. The 4x6"DD is a great coil for those trashy areas and it gets awesome depth and has surgical separation and pinpointing. The 10"DD coil is a sweet coil that's good in medium to high mineralization. This coil has incredible separation but if you've never used a large DD coil before it will take a little practice to learn to pinpoint with.

*This is the 4x6"DD Shooter coil... https://www.whiteselectronics.com/pr...prizm-mini-dd/

*This 950 coil works like your stock coil but it is great for hunting stubble... https://www.whiteselectronics.com/pr...-coil-8-3-khz/

*This is the 10"DD... https://www.whiteselectronics.com/pr...inmaster-coil/

By the way I am Rodney.
    Last edited by rchalker; 08-11-2018 at 04:25 PM.

Thanks,

I have another rally tomorrow (weather permitting). It's stubble so I will up the sensitivity to 4, discriminate iron,turn the threshold off and see how it goes. A guy last week found a gold half sovereign and others found coins so there are finds there.

Thanks for the info, Rodney. I am too new to even begin to think of buying other coils as I have to learn the machine first. Thanks though, Be.

Sensitivity controls the level of signal required to be picked up by the receiver. The higher the sensitivity, the weaker the return you can pick up.

Threshold is an All Metal function. It "gates the receiver on" so that weaker signals can be picked up, as opposed to running with no t'hold, aka "silent search". Also, a dropout in the t'hold tone generally means deep iron.

Run with just barely audible threshold and set your sensitivity for smooth operation.

Hope this is helpful.
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Thanks, Deolslyfox. At the rally today, I put the threshold on 1 and the sensitivity on 5 (after playing lots with both). It seemed better than before. I came home with a bag seal and a thimble, much better than pieces of iron and chain! Lol

The threshold really helps as long as you take the time to learn what it's telling you. Just listen to the way it sounds right before you hear a beep from a target. Sometimes you'll hear an increase or drop in volume from the threshold and then a beep. But you need to really listen to those sounds from the threshold during that time. Now until you know what it all means, dig up everything. Eventually you'll be digging more good targets. You will still dig a little trash, there's no getting away from that. It's all about training your ears to hear what the detector is telling you. Just remember to practice... practice... and practice some more. It won't take you long and soon you will be the master of your machine.

So you found a thimble and a bag seal at the rally today. Nice work. Sounds like you had fun. Me, I love finding those thimbles. It's amazing how many of those we find. Makes you wonder how so many get lost. Well Bernice, keep up the hunt and have fun doing it. I hope you find something exciting. If you get the chance, post your finds here on the forum. We all here really like to see new finds. Cheers.
    Last edited by rchalker; 08-12-2018 at 01:38 PM.

These are some of my finds so far, not great, I know but I have found out the history of the bag seal. The site keeps failing for my picture of 2 coins found.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180812_174652 (2).jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	273.5 KB 
ID:	112223

That's not bad Bernice. I love finding those old lead bag seals. They're fun to research and sometimes you'll find the one you have and where it comes from. Researching things we find metal detecting is part of the fun. It's nice we have computers and the internet to help us out these days. Keep at it and soon you will have something that really is exciting. Do you have any bucket listers yet? Living in the UK you must have some interesting things you really want to find. If I lived in the UK, I'd have to have a Roman coin made of silver on my list. Maybe even a gold one. Well Bernice, good luck on your hunt.

Thanks, I believe I am lucky just to find anything. Possibly just pre-decimal to begin with, just to think that my parents may have used them. But, once found, possibly older things. No expectations, any find it is good find and you have to walk over it to find it. Did yesterday but the rain battered down so gave up after two hours on a site that had loads of iron targets, so many that I didn't dig them, trying again next weekend at the same site. Fingers crossed!

You have a great way of thinking. "Any find it is a good find." That's absolutely correct. Rain? Rain is a good thing to have when you metal detect. A moist ground has better conductivity and it helps the detector get more depth when looking for those targets. It's nice to have a moist ground to dig in too. Well good luck and happy hunting. I look forward to seeing more finds from you.