Thread: New member here

New member here

Hi all, new member here. I did some detecting back in the 90's and had a great time but was never really any good at it.
    Well I just bought my brother-in-laws old Spectrum XLT and have sent it off to White's for update and a new display. It seems to work fine but has been sitting for around 20 years in the shed. I can't wait to get it back.
    Reading and searching I see several members have written some custom programs but thinking I would start out getting involved in some of the club organized hunts here in the Seattle area, I would like advice on a good program for organized hunts. Do I want "coin" "coin & jewelry" etc.
    Anyways, I know this is an old machine but it will hopefully be good as new soon. It should take me many more years to outgrow it.

Don

Welcome !! With an organized hunt, if you're just hunting for coins or targets, you can set up just to find those targets. Line up away from folks with similar machines to avoid crosstalk. Drop sensitivity. Targets won't be deep. Hope this is helpful. Good luck and good hunting.
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Thanks Fox, I'm hoping going on some of the fun hunts will help me familiarize myself with the machine again.

Welcome to the forum Don. You say you weren’t very good at metal detecting but do you know what to expect to say you’re good or not good. Many people go out and buy metal detectors and they give up before they learn the machine or they expect to find great targets every time they go out digging. Just remember you are going to find more trash than any other things but every once in a while you get a good find or better yet a super one like a ring. This is one of those hobbies you really love it or you don’t. I hope you find the true love of metal detecting and you look at the targets found as historical wonders. You start to think of the artifact and you think whom could of lost it and when you hold it in your hand you think of how long it’s been since the last person held it. This hobby can open up your imagination and exciting feelings to only want to find the next target. Don, I can’t stress to you about the right tools for the job too. Get a Lesche digger and a good pinpointer like the TRX. I started out using the wrong tools and I was getting discouraged with the hobby and then I read about the right tools. It made it so much easier to dig my plugs and the use of a pinpointer helped me find those targets much faster. Well sir, if you need any pointers or advice about anything just ask here on the forum. There’s lots of good people here on the forum. Again, welcome and enjoy.

Rodney
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

Welcome to the forum and back to detecting.

My 2 worth: I started back in the 70s, got away, and came back. I don’t think that it is a matter of being good or not good. It is the enjoyment of the hobby, history, and relating to the people and the mystery of what circumstances caused them to lose the things that we find. What Rod says is true about this hobby and I couldn’t agree more so I won’t repeat it. Be patient, put the headphones on, relax, zone out from the real world - be surprised.

As to the detector, the XLT is one of the finest out there. I found my best items with a Whites 6.592 kHz frequency machine (and it is still my personal favorite frequency). I have an XLT and a 5900 in my arsenal. Good luck with the club dig. Never did one. I prefer the solitude.

Welcome and good luck
    Growing old is not for sissies.I thought it would take longer to get old.

Thanks guys for the great responses. When I was using a doctor way back when, I just never really got to know my machine and working a lot made getting out and using it less of a priority than other things in life. Now being retired, I hope to spend some real quality time learning the machine and really understanding what it is telling me. Thanks again.

Here is a web page with a lot of XLT programs. I have an XLT and a V3i and the XLT is still a great detector and will serve you well.

http://web.archive.org/web/201303090.../programm.html

http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/...s-XLT-Programs

These are time tested and field proven... Good luck !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Thanks again guys, I will check out the links. I should have my machine back on Monday, they called today and said it was ready.
    Have a great weekend all.

XLT is awesome coin finder. If you can figure out how to use mixed mode ya wont have to look at the display much. Coin hunt, use just the coin program. Then turn on the mixed mode.

Quote Originally Posted by drifterdon View Post
    Thanks again guys, I will check out the links. I should have my machine back on Monday, they called today and said it was ready.
    Have a great weekend all.
    That's great news. Glad to hear it didn't take very long to get it fixed. Now you can start bringing home the goodies. Good luck and happy hunting.

Well I got it back today, $150 for a new display, new keyboard, battery contacts, connectors, screws and even a Blue Max 950 coil. I am a happy camper. Now time for practice practice practice.
    Last edited by drifterdon; 07-09-2018 at 08:18 PM.

It's time to go find the good stuff now. Good luck and happy hunting.

Great gnus !! It won't take long to find enough goodies to pay for the repairs !! Good luck !!

xlt is a awesome machine, it was the first detector I ever used, found bunches of keepers with it, it is a smoker for silver and coins of any size
    If the bass ain't biting, I'm scratchin for silver