Thread: TRX and magnet?

TRX and magnet?

Would a small magnet taped or epoxied to the battery cap end of the TRX interfere with it's operation?
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

I wouldn’t think so as long as it’s not too big. My concern would be having a magnet next to a circuit board. Electronics tend not to like magnetic fields.
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

I picked up a pencil shaped gizmo. One end is a magnet and it also has a bright LED light. That light does get used in the dark hole a lot. Makes those dirty targets much easier to find.

Hmmmm .... You're affixing a piece of metal to the tip of a metal detecting device .... I think I'd give that a try before I made it a permanent install ....
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Quote Originally Posted by deolslyfox View Post
    Hmmmm .... You're affixing a piece of metal to the tip of a metal detecting device .... I think I'd give that a try before I made it a permanent install ....
    I will try taping one on and see what happens. I could put it on my digging tool but I use different ones depending on the site I am hunting. I guess I could get several and apply one to each tool.

My 2 worth: I don't understand why you would want a magnet attached to the TRX. I'm curious as to what the intended use of the magnet is. If you use one of those new rare earth magnets you might be carrying around your own small portable EMI source in close proximity to your detector. And Rod & Fox also make really good points.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastdigs View Post
    My 2 worth: I don't understand why you would want a magnet attached to the TRX. I'm curious as to what the intended use of the magnet is. If you use one of those new rare earth magnets you might be carrying around your own small portable EMI source in close proximity to your detector. And Rod & Fox also make really good points.
    If it would work I wouldn't have to put one on each of my digging tools. I carry the TRX every time I hunt. I would use it to field test small objects for ferrous content. Believe me, I am not an electrical engineer or anything close so when I ask this next question it is because I don't know the answer. If a magnet would interfere with the TRX why don't the batteries?

I laid a small magnet next to the back side of the TRX and got no interference at all. In fact, I could run the magnet all the way to where the probe end comes out of the body before getting a signal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	183.1 KB 
ID:	111831  

A magnet that small should be fine. I was thinkin' a quarter-sized magnet ..... Not a bad idea !! If you go bigger, I'd still try it before making it a permanent attachment.

Thanks for sharing !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Aww, look at the little baby magnet. But magnets I know can be deceiving. About fifteen years ago, I took a magnet out of a hard drive. It turned out being the most powerful magnet I’ve ever had found. I went to put it on the refrigerator and it took a bite of my finger. I just could not believe what a job it became to get it off the refrigerator. I scratched the heck out of the paint.
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

Quote Originally Posted by deolslyfox View Post
    A magnet that small should be fine. I was thinkin' a quarter-sized magnet ..... Not a bad idea !! If you go bigger, I'd still try it before making it a permanent attachment.

Thanks for sharing !!
    I almost bought some at Wal-Mart today. They were about the size of a penny and had an adhesive foam back on them. I walked out of the store and had left the parking lot before I remembered them!