Some glitch I don't know about or trip to Oregon needed?

Just returned from a nice weekend trip where we met some friends that had access to some awsome ground to check out. Their buddy owns all the land and met up with us. In the late 1800's there was a small community, store, church, schoolhouse and homes of course. 4 or 5 roads led into there and since he has owned the land it hasnt been detected, and I think he said he and his family had owned it like 20 years or so.
    ANYWAY ........ I chose my 10"DD to start. Went to where the foundation corners of the old schoolhouse was at and couldnt hardly get a hit at all. I ran several programs including Fox's well-proven progs over probably a total of a couple acres and was very disappointed in how the machine was acting. Due to health issues it has been a pretty long time since Ive had it out. I finally decided to air-test it ......... and using every coil I had about 3 1/2" was about the max it would pick up a penny, dime and quarter. Of course the quarter got the farthest distance.
    I also did a 'hard reset' with no improvement at all. The battery I was using is a brand new rechargeable I just got in from Whites last Thursday. Even changed to my other battery. (Superstition) Still just wasnt doing right.
    Personally, I like a little threshold hum going on. Prob more than other folks. Reason Im mentioning it, is the threshold sound was weak with it runnong wide open.
    I bought this machine new, maybe 7+ years ago. And Ive found WAY too much stuff with it to get aggravated over it.
    Since all the coils were pretty much acting the same way, Im thinking its somehing in the box and am HOPING theres some little something Ive overlooked.
    Again, it HAS been awhile since we've had it out. Ive owned my share of detectors, all of them Whites and this has just always been my favorite. Anybody got a clue to something I dont know about before I contact Whites? Something Im overlooking?? I even ran the AC, DC as high as wide open and the PAG all the way up to 4.
    Again, and as always, I thank you beforehand. Great bunch of folks here.
    Ed
    DFX300 - - 10" DD -- 6 X 10 DD Eclipse -- 4 X 6 Shooter Eclipse -- Super 12 -- TRX Pin-Pointers

By the time you can afford it, you may feel too old to use it
    ~~ Self

Sounds like you have everything covered. Might be time for trip to the SPA for a tune-up. It will be good as new when you get it back.

Good luck !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Quote Originally Posted by deolslyfox View Post
    Sounds like you have everything covered. Might be time for trip to the SPA for a tune-up. It will be good as new when you get it back.

Good luck !!
    Thanks Fox. After reading this, I looked and it seems Manassis Va is the closest to my neck of the woods.
    Sending her out tomorrow.
    DFX300 - - 10" DD -- 6 X 10 DD Eclipse -- 4 X 6 Shooter Eclipse -- Super 12 -- TRX Pin-Pointers

~~ Self

You have Warren's right there in the panhandle ... He can handle your DFX !!

Warren’s Repair Center
    Freeport, Florida
    (850) 835-3344
    warren32439@gmail.com
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Quote Originally Posted by deolslyfox View Post
    You have Warren's right there in the panhandle ... He can handle your DFX !!

Warren’s Repair Center
    Freeport, Florida
    (850) 835-3344
    warren32439@gmail.com

Thanks again buddy.

~~ Self

Thought I'd update this, since my DFX came back from Service yesterday. Basically Paul told me all he did was clean all the connectors and some other things which (at least in my mind) was like a little tune-up I guess.
    I took it out to my 'garden' where I had planted some things almost exactly two years ago. Found and dug up my quarter, dime and a TC Maxi Ball bullet. All these items were 'planted' 3-5" or so. Just for the heck of it I just air-checked a penny, quarter and a dime with the 4 X 6 Shooter and it saw them all at 4 - 4 1/2". I kicked up the AC to 75 and the PAG to 3, running the factory Coin program and it saw them at a little over 5". Now keep in mind Im air-testing inside without a good ground balance as well. Not exactly prime conditions.

Im thinking it use to see em a bit farther, but I had no problems finding my garden-finds yesterday and its acting pretty much the way it use to so Im pleased with it.

On a last note, Im questioning the wisdom of selling my V3i and MXT and only having one detector. LOL.

When the bug hits ya just gotta go jump in.

*** I was reading another thread and came across a comment Fox made on modulation and DFX depth. Anyway, with the same settings as above and modulation = OFF, it hit the coins at 8" +.
    Last edited by jeelock; 05-05-2018 at 07:36 PM.

~~ Self

I think you should of kept the V3i. That detector has real potential. I haven’t found too many places I can’t hunt with my V3i. There’s a lot of people that get scared off by the learning curve before they really find out what the V can do. At least you still have your DFX, the DFX is one of the best detectors White’s has manufactured. You can discover some terrific finds with it.
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

Maybe so. It was one of those things where somebody wanted it more than me at the time. lol.
    This ol DFX and I have a great history together.

~~ Self