Thread: Salt

Salt

Detecting at the fairgrounds, the zinks are really eaten up. I didn't use the salt program but now I'm wondering if I should have. This particular area is hard on dimes and also showed on qtrs.

There’s only one way to know for sure, try it out. It could quiet the V and help you locate targets better.
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

+1 on try and see ....
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

I have heard of people doing this with the mx sport...not sure about the vseries though. Chalk me up for another try and see vote

Running in Salt Mode extends the tracking down into the conductive region. Highly fertilized soil is generally conductive. One can benefit from using Salt Mode in highly fertilized ground.
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

At one point, I got a high tone, bouncing VDI but a good green bar on pin point. Flipped the trigger forward and got nothing on the screen, no graph or VDI either. Dug and at only 4-5" was a nice rose dime.

Remember to move the coil OFF THE TARGET before you pinpoint, or you'll lose the target signal ...

Process:

1. Get the "hit"
    2. Move coil off the target
    3. Pull the pinpoint trigger and let threshold re-establish
    4. Move coil over the target to pinpoint

Always do move off if it's not a hard hit. Did the 90 degree scan also. Could not get anything with the trigger forward in the situation mentioned above. It was late in the day when I did that and only dug one other target with similar "0" readings (same procedure) and it was a nail.

Possibly dist out because it was a rose dime?

I've had a good hit on a targets in search mode but when I go in to pinpoint mode I can't find a targets signal to save my life. Most of the time when I dig these signals they end up being iron. I'm not sure what you have going on.
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

Agree, lots of iron where I was digging. Lots of "lost" signals. Might try all metal next time I'm there. I did not find the deep targets I expected but also know from my research that the place has had many changes over the last 100 years.

Gus: When you go to PINPOINT mode, you are in ALL METAL mode. If you are losing the target when you pinpoint, it is almost always one of two issues:

1. You're not moving off the target and letting the PP (AM) threshold re-establish before you move back over the target, or
    2. Your ground balance is off. (Are you hunting with TRACKING = LOCKED ??)

Another thing to keep in mind; If you continue to sweep over the target for too long in an effort to determine what it is, the machine will track the target out. Hence the need to move off the target and let the machine re-establish AM threshold before you pinpoint.

Not locked. When I stand up after a dig, I usually swing several times before moving forward. If things get too quiet, I normally stop and manually balance.

Hadn't thought about pinpoint being all metal.

Yes, I've had the machine 0 out a target. I usually move aside and do several sweeps until it will find it again. Very rarely does that on a good target.

No idea if it affects targets, but a lot of the area I was working doubles as a parking area. Some hard ground at times.

Very rarely does that on a good target.

That tells me you're getting hits on junk or you're seeing "wrap" or your ground balance isn't good. If you're getting junk hits, look at the SpectraGraph. If you're seeing smearing, then move on. If all your disappearing targets are high VDIs, you're seeing wrap. You should also see some smearing. Move on.

If your ground balance is inconsistent, try changing your tracking and SAT speeds. If your ground is "terrible", and your AutoTrack is too slow, your GB can't keep up, and neither can your threshold. That's why they're adjustable ....

Finally, if nothing else works, change coils. You may have a coil that is just a tad out of null. Does your coil pass the RXG=15. TXB=OFF test ??

And again - if the ground is highly mineralized try Salt Mode and a different filter.

Don't "settle". I haven't found many places that V3i can't provide "reasonable" operation, including an old railroad bed !!

Thanks Fox,
    I might get out Fri if the weather permits. I'm not sure where I'll be if I do. I will get back there but where ever I go, I will be more diligent about remembering settings and operations. I tend to get caught up in concentrating on sound and blank out everything else.