Old home site in town, EMI and theory on what to do next??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jC0o-sVB0Q

Just posted a video from this past weekend. I ended up running into a situation that I typically run into and would like some thoughts on theory and strategy. It's a hunt at a city home site that's from the 1800's but tucked into a modern scene. Thanks in advance for checking it out and replies.

If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Great video! I tend to keep going back to sites that at first looked very promising but turned out to be less so. Like you mentioned in your video after you clean out the junk, then you can concentrate on the less prominent or iffy signals. I can't say that I have had great success in doing this, but it gives me a chance to work with my detector and trying different settings, coils or programs. Unless I have a backlog of permissions that look more promising. I'll keep working the permissions I have. I'm enjoying the outdoors and always enjoying this great hobby. I'm not looking to get rich, I'm just looking!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bogdan "Don" Pieniak

Nice video. Thanks for sharing.

Fox's link is one to follow. If the EMI is really bad I have even run my discrimination much lower. It smooths out the machine in some conditions. Single frequency mode works fantastic too but you need to learn the language of the detector because it’s like listening to a new machine all over again. There’s usually a lot of trash near the sidewalks so if you have the 4x6”DD Shooter, than use it under the power lines and around the sidewalks. The 4x6”DD can really ignore the EMI and still gets good enough depth to hit on silver coins or some jewelry. Good luck on this site, it looks promising. You found a wheat and that’s always good.
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

Great Video !

Did you raise your recovery delay and slow down your swing or were you picking up deep targets?
    I try to avoid digging shallow targets if I'm coin hunting an old house like that...sure you need to get some stuff out of the way but I change settings until I'm reaching at least 6 to 8 inches deep.
    You do a nice job with your videos...I tried to make some but they were horrible.
    Nice work !!
    PP
    White's V3i, MX Sport & TRX Pinpointer

Good video again. If the EMI is still an issue with the 4x6 shooter, I would switch to a 6.592kHz machine like the XLT and hammer for silver.

Best single freq for high EMI is 2.5Khz ....
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Well said donpie and a great way to look at it. I think I'm going to go back for 1-2 hours with the sport to see what happens. Throw on the 7 inch detech DD and max out the sensitivity. Hopefully something good will be unearthed.

I do like to run single frequency at times but like you say it's like running a new machine. I have a 7.5 program built just in case its the silver program that's being affected most by EMI.

Eastcostdigs, I wish I still had my XLT. There have been many times I've kicked myself for selling it.

Quote Originally Posted by KMarhoffer View Post
    Eastcostdigs, I wish I still had my XLT. There have been many times I've kicked myself for selling it.
    I've kicked myself 29 times and decided enough was enough ... I put a very pristine condition XLT back in my personal arsenal .. again .. in January, outfitted it with a Blue Max 600 Concentric coil for the typical trashier places I hunt, and this time my XLT, #30 since early '94, is not going anywhere. Not unless I've got a good hold on it and it goes ahead of me while enjoying this great sport.

I enjoyed your video and I hope this year is a rewarding one for you whatever detector you're using at the time. Fifty-three years of avidly getting out detecting and I have always admired 'simplicity.' The DFX didn't provide me the performance of the XLT, and I tried 5 different DFX units. The Vision, V3i and VX3 didn't really get along well with me either, and where I hunted the most White's MXT All-Pro used to be the more versatile all-purpose favorite unit in my detector group.

Today, joining my other brands and the excellent XLT, are my MX-7's which have been performing admirably. For a month and a half, as weather would allow as we get closer to full-time spring, I have been hunting a double lot where they just demolished an older house. Good targets have been getting thinner and thinner, in quantity that is, and the amount of trash from the demolished structure but more so from former habitation and discarded scrap with a lot of iron has called for methodical hunting.

I've used 5" DD and 5X9 DD and 7" Concentric coils on four different Nokta and Makro detectors with good success. I have also spent more total time using an MX-7 w/6" Concentric or another with a 7" DD made for White's by Detech. Again, these two set-ups have been used the most and found the most of all the makes and models I have used in a month-and-a-half at this place. Then I got my 6" Concentric coil back after the coil cable was shortened and I had it mounted on my XLT that was along with me, so I thought I'd give it a try earlier this week in this same, well-hunted site.

I had almost forgotten how much I liked the XLT's performance and audio response in my 'Bushwhack' program with Tone ID 'On.' Very littered site with nails and other smaller-size iron debris, but the XLT w/6" Concentric sang out brilliantly on 7 wheat-back cents, all found in a relatively short time I had to hunt. One of my all-time favorite detectors that is here-to-stay. I hope you have an opportunity to come across such a beautiful conditions specimen as I did and can put one back in your detector battery as well.

Monte
    Last edited by Monte; 03-17-2018 at 04:46 AM.
    Beep-DIG! ... "Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

I too have an XLT that I'll never part with !! One of the best machines ever built by anyone, IMHO !!