Small coil choices

I understand that White's is working on a small coil (6/6.5") for the MX series besides the 7" Detech. Other than being slightly smaller than the Detech, what advantages might this coil have compared to the 7"? Any idea when it might become available? I was very close to pulling trigger for the 7", but I think I would like to wait for a genuine White's coil if the rumours are true.....

I’m not sure how true the new coil is, I haven’t heard anything from White’s about it. I too would rather have a genuine White’s coil. If the rumor is true, I’m hoping the coil is the 4x6”DD Shooter. The 4x6”DD has proven itself time and time again on every White’s machine it’s available on.

What benefits the smaller coil would have over the Detech 7”DD... The smaller coil would pinpoint more accurate just as any smaller coil does. The coil would do better in high EMI conditions, it would do better in high mineralization ground, it would have better separation in high trash areas, it would have less false tones due to ground noise, you will be able to run it hotter without any issues, it will keep a more stable VDI when hitting on a target, and if it’s the 4x6”DD then it’s going to be very light weight. That’s just a few things I can think of. If White’s is working on a genuine White’s coil and it’s supposed to be smaller, I can’t see it being anything other than the 4x6”DD coil. Like I said, the coil has proven itself on many machines to be a top notch coil. One thing about the 4x6”DD is it has incredible depth for such a small coil.

I have my fingers crossed for the coil being the 4x6.
    Last edited by rchalker; 02-10-2018 at 12:28 PM.
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

In a nutshell .... an inch in size won't make enough difference to worry about in my book .... However, it its a genuine​ Whites coil - ala "made in Sweet Home" - that would make a HUGE difference to me !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Like Fox said about HUGE difference being a genuine White’s coil. Made in the USA too.

I agree, the 4x6 would be great, but from what I've read it is a concentric that they are talking about.... :-(

A concentric huh? Well, I guess we just wait to see what’s coming. I even have the 4x6” for my daughter’s TreasurePro. You’d think it would be available for all detectors since it works so well.

From what I have been told, it will be the same coil as the 5.3 eclipse, except it will be tuned for the Sport and MX7. Monte Berry from the AHRPS forums has one, and has been testing it for Whites. It is supposed to be available sometime this Spring.
    Whites Detectors Used:

Whites MX5
    Whites MXT Pro
    Whites Beach Hunter ID

The 5.3 Concentric Eclipse is still a very good coil. It will do well in high EMI conditions, it gets around trash great and it has a dead on pinpoint. The pinpoint is so good a person can’t miss a target if they try. It’s a really good coil for tot lots. I have found a lot of clad in playgrounds and it works super at the beach. When I think about it now, I bet that’s why White’s is bringing out another concentric coil for the MX Sport and MX7. A small concentric coil for saltwater hunting would do fantastic. The 5.3 would also be able to run hotter in saltwater beach hunting.

I hope they bring it out soon!! I have some timber sites with old cellar holes that I really would like the small coil for. I have the 4x6 for my Prizm IV, but I don't have the confidence in it like I do my Sport! Thanks everyone for your input...I'll try to hold out for the White's coil.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    I hope they bring it out soon!! I have some timber sites with old cellar holes that I really would like the small coil for. I have the 4x6 for my Prizm IV, but I don't have the confidence in it like I do my Sport! Thanks everyone for your input...I'll try to hold out for the White's coil.
    If you can't wait i rock the 7inch detect on my sport in the cellar holes. It has done well