Tell us your craziest winter detecting story

Winter can be a slow time and crazy detector folks like us can do some crazy things just to get out. I'll tell a story and others can do the same.

Back in 2014 our small town school district got a bond passed for major renovations to our high school. Part of the plan was to convert the football practice field into a student parking lot and buy some farm land north of the school for a new practice field. I'd detected in the practice field a few times and suspected there was more there, so I decided to get ahead of construction and go over it some more. It was January with frozen ground and patches of snow, but they had already bulldozed out a few trees along the edge of the field, so I decided I'd better get in there before it was too late. For my "digging tools" I took along a hammer and a beat up old two inch wood chisel. It was really cold but the V3i worked and so did the hammer and chisel. My records show that I went twice on January 19 & 21, and chiseled out $.6.51 in clad. Not too bad. The irony is that they didn't do any scraping until summer when school was out. Oh well. LTD

I think the craziest winter hunting story I have is a couple years ago I was doing some sledding hills. It was 8:00AM and 8F outside and I hunted for three hours in this cold temperature. My V3i display was working but had a very slow response. I found a huge silver class ring about 5” down in the ice. It was a screamer. I was able to return the ring due to the engraved name inside. If that’s not dedication I don’t know what is. You can’t let the cold stop you from MD'ing.
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

I have been known to wade a good distance thru knee-deep snow to get to some woods to hunt relics. The area had been a civil war campsite. The pine thickets kept the ground fairly clean - only a couple of inches of snow .... I was much younger (and dumber) then ....
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

In Dec 2011 decided to go on the last hunt of the season with a few inches of snow on the ground
    the ground wasnt frozen so why not, well part way though my hunt I find a small ring. I usually carry a
    small pill box in my front pocket so I decided to put the ring in the box when I found out that I had lost
    my car keys. But being that I made the only tracks in the snow I went and backtracked quite a ways and
    was able to find them but what a panicked moment that was being that I was about 50 miles from home.
    It all adds up

I have braved temps in the low 40s to hunt but was so bundled up in clothing I couldn't bend down to dig the target.
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

i was just out a few days ago before this foot of snow hit. Was chiseling away at frozen ground, really slow digging.

Hi My Fellow TH'ers
    My craziest winter TH was a few years ago in Northern Virginia. We had decided to go to a Civil War Battlefield/Encampment per our normal Saturday day of Digging. We had to search through five inches of snow and I got a Quarter reading on my Whites DFX. Well it was a quarter all right; a 1984 Canadian Quarter. We were cold, wet, and muddy but we sure had a lot of fun! ;-)

Hadn't heard from you in quite a while Mr. CSA. Good to here you're still out there kickin and diggin. LTD

Cordless drill with a core bit?