Targeted Searches

I watched a very interesting video done by Ed Cropski on how he sets up and hunts with his V3i for gold items. I have never considered to just look for one type of metal at a time unless I was helping someone look for a lost ring or something specific like property markers. I made a comment on his video and asked that he post it here because he did mention this forum and I thinks he goes by NJ MXT? ....maybe I think its good content and it got me to rethink how I might approach a new site in the future.

Question to all of you: Do you do targeted searches as your "go to" method by discriminating out everything but one type of metal?

I have never done this but its looks like a successful method...I'm afraid to miss even a clad quarter and I run a mostly open screen.

Please tell me what you think or if this has worked for you !

PP
    White's V3i, MX Sport & TRX Pinpointer

I have never done it that way, even when looking for a known lost item. I am too afraid i might miss something interesting. I usually hunt in all metal or with just the really low end discriminated leaving the high iron numbers incase of gold. It should be mentioned the only gold I have found was gold that I knew was lost there.

I've never hunted that way but the idea interests me. For example, could a guy go into a playing field were gold rings could potentially be lost, and set up the V3i to target gold rings only while ignoring all other metal?
    Since the VDI for gold rings is all over the place, I don't see how that could work, but I'd like to know more. LTD

Nope .... Too much chance of missing something good .... JMHO
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Quote Originally Posted by deolslyfox View Post
    Nope .... Too much chance of missing something good .... JMHO
    I thought the same thing but it's not like you can't pay attention to the other VDI's and go back some other time if you see a lot of good numbers outside the gold range.

Quote Originally Posted by Long time digger View Post
    I've never hunted that way but the idea interests me. For example, could a guy go into a playing field were gold rings could potentially be lost, and set up the V3i to target gold rings only while ignoring all other metal?
    Since the VDI for gold rings is all over the place, I don't see how that could work, but I'd like to know more. LTD
    If you want to watch the video his YouTube channel is ECROPSKI67 and it's called getting the gold with White's V3i custom program...he did a great job !

Targeted Searches - Open VDI Mask

If you are going to watch all the VDIs, might as well make it easy and accept 'em all too. That way you don't have to worry about what you missed. Anyhow, whatever works best for a person is what they should do ...

Quote Originally Posted by PastPursuits View Post
    I thought the same thing but it's not like you can't pay attention to the other VDI's and go back some other time if you see a lot of good numbers outside the gold range.
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

.I'm afraid to miss even a clad quarter and I run a mostly open screen.

sounds interesting but ??
    If the bass ain't biting, I'm scratchin for silver

My 2 worth: I feel I probably miss enough as it is and I don't think there is enough gold out there (I exclude beaches as I don't hunt them) that I want to take a chance on missing the old silver. I can't imagine passing on an 89 VDI to dig a 12 VDI foil ball. It may be also be that if the youtube guy has a lot of experience with his unit in certain soil conditions, his ears are tuned in finer to the gold tones. I have to stick with digging all the solid tones. More surprises that way also and you will still find the gold.

Quote Originally Posted by bassplugger View Post
    .I'm afraid to miss even a clad quarter and I run a mostly open screen.

sounds interesting but ??
    Sorry a term from a different brand detector that I sold...open screen is like all metal mode or no discrimination.
    All Whites now ! My bad !

Some of my best finds have come as trashy VDI’s. I’ll dig a zincoln hoping it’s a shallow IHP

I am with you now and that's the way I feel too---I'll spend a lot of time digging what I mostly think is a trashy target just to make sure it's not a keeper--Kinda like Gus said about digging zink pennies--IH's lots of times show red as the dominate color and vdi like a zinc penny--even when I'm searching for someone's lost wedding band I still look and listen to all the signals but usually only investigate the shallow or surface vdi's if it has just been lost, then maybe later go back and dig for a good target
    If the bass ain't biting, I'm scratchin for silver

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastdigs View Post
    My 2 worth: I feel I probably miss enough as it is and I don't think there is enough gold out there (I exclude beaches as I don't hunt them) that I want to take a chance on missing the old silver. I can't imagine passing on an 89 VDI to dig a 12 VDI foil ball. It may be also be that if the youtube guy has a lot of experience with his unit in certain soil conditions, his ears are tuned in finer to the gold tones. I have to stick with digging all the solid tones. More surprises that way also and you will still find the gold.
    It helps if you watch the video and I don't think he is talking about everyday hunting...example: If he is doing a park and there is a sand volleyball court he will switch to his gold program and hit the court with single frequency at the 22 setting, disc to accept from -10 to +50 to catch most of the small gold then go back to his regular program when his is done or go back over the court with the regular program. It's just a new way to look at things...so not that his ears are tuned in...but he is set for a stronger hit on gold.
    Last edited by PastPursuits; 01-11-2018 at 06:34 AM.

Still looks like two passes required when one will do ?? But again, whatever works .... There is no "one best coil", "one best program" or "one right way" ....

Several years back I figured out how to hunt for gold in the same way as this video shows. Yes, using the 4x6”DD Shooter and the 22.5 frequency does well on gold especially the smaller gold that you usually can’t hit on. I hunt this way in the tot lots. I tend to find earrings and a few rings but I also find a bunch of foil. But like I always say, If you want the gold, you have to dig a lot of foil. While using the 22.5 frequency and the Shooter, you will also find tiny bits of trash that are hard to find even with a good pinpointer. I always start hunting new grounds with my 10”DD and a good Coin & Jewelry program. I only use a single frequency when I think I’ve found all I can with the three frequency mode.
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

I was finally able to access the video. It does have its merits especially for beaches but I think I will stick with digging it all at my old sites. Good luck using it. I'm looking forward to seeing what you find.

I always go over a site more than once anyway so I think I will try some type of targeted search depending on what I think might be there instead of a All Metal only hunt like I always do on the second time around.

I did air tests on a lot of small gold items and never had a hit below +2 and that was on a small chain...I wonder why Ed had accepted down to -10 ?

PP

I wonder why Ed had accepted down to -10 ?

Some small gold chains can read as low a -6, depending on the ground matrix and the fidelity of your ground balance .... I have pulled more than a few gold ankle chains that were in the negative range, but repeatable .... A good "rule of thumb" is to leave at least 3 VDI numbers above and below the "VDI of interest". EG: If you are looking for that "VDI +10 white gold ring", then your VDI mask would be +7 to +13". That has served me well for many years. Just passing along as a FWIW ....

I wonder why Ed had accepted down to -10 ?

Some small gold chains can read as low a -6, depending on the ground matrix and the fidelity of your ground balance .... I have pulled more than a few gold ankle chains that were in the negative range, but repeatable .... A good "rule of thumb" is to leave at least 3 VDI numbers above and below the "VDI of interest". EG: If you are looking for that "VDI +10 white gold ring", then your VDI mask would be +7 to +13". That has served me well for many years. Just passing along as a FWIW ....
    Thanks for the info

I also thought it was smart to have salt off so it wouldn't mess with the low to neg hits !

Turning SALT on just allows the tracking to go further into the negative zone. It won't keep you from seeing the negative VDIs .... If you are going to work a salt beach, you should have SALT Mode activated .... SALT Mode can also help if you are working a highly fertilized area, especially if its wet ....

Turning SALT on just allows the tracking to go further into the negative zone. It won't keep you from seeing the negative VDIs .... If you are going to work a salt beach, you should have SALT Mode activated .... SALT Mode can also help if you are working a highly fertilized area, especially if its wet ....
    Yes, Salt and tracking both off

Hi My Fellow TH'ers

I thought your question begged for an answer so here is mine: I search almost exclusively in 'Relic Mode' on my DFX. I normally out dig most everyone that I TH with as I dig ALL Targets! As most folks will tell you that they are only looking for this type or that type of item. When it comes down to it most detectors can only give you an idea of what it is 'seeing'. Sometimes your detector will get the target ID correct but more often not! I have been a fond believer in digging all targets just because I did not want to miss anything that might just be the find of the day! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by THing4CSA View Post
    Hi My Fellow TH'ers

I thought your question begged for an answer so here is mine: I search almost exclusively in 'Relic Mode' on my DFX. I normally out dig most everyone that I TH with as I dig ALL Targets! As most folks will tell you that they are only looking for this type or that type of item. When it comes down to it most detectors can only give you an idea of what it is 'seeing'. Sometimes your detector will get the target ID correct but more often not! I have been a fond believer in digging all targets just because I did not want to miss anything that might just be the find of the day! ;-)
    I think most of us hunt in a mode that works best for what we want to find...Relic Mode is a targeted search that includes all the ferrous or nonferrous metals that you want to include and dig it all. I thought it was interesting that Ed made a program that was that specific for one metal because it never crossed my mind to do it.

How would you do in All Metal Mode at your CSA sites?

PP