WHites Surf P.I.

Is this unit still relevant? I've got the itch to try a P I machine but don't want to spend too much money. What would be a fair price on a used one?

You bet .... I love mine. Especially if you are going to work the beach - salt or fresh water. It would not be my first choice for an "inland" machine, due to the fixed coil and fixed headsets, but I have used it as an "open field" hunter. It is sensitive to small objects, so its also not a "trashy area" machine. Deployed in a park / rec area setting, you will quickly become the "prince of tin foil and can slaw". Its not designed for that venue. You can say the same for TDI and other PI units. Just a "heads up", as I have seen many long-tiime VLF users get frustrated in a hurry during their first PI experience.

As to price of a used detector - ANY detector .... A "fair price" is what the buyer is willing to pay and what the seller is willing to take. If you buy used, be sure there's a return policy. There's a REFURB on the White's website right now. They come with a full 2-year warranty ....

Also, there are any number of videos from Whites on the Surf PI .... You might want to take a look at those ....

Please remember, no buying/selling on the forum ....

Good luck !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Thanks as usual

Just got one off eBay and my first PI machine called Surf PI Pro, What should I expect when I hit the beach and any tips on using them.

Thank You

You purchased a great detector for the beach. My first suggestion would be to make sure the box is water tight if you’re doing any type of in water or diving. White’s can pressure test the box and check for leaks if you want to be extra careful. But anyhow, I’d start off using the factory defaults and work the settings from there. Tune the detector to pick up on a nickel in the saltwater conditions you wish to hunt. Hunt the wet sand and hope for a gold ring. Good luck and happy hunting. I hope you the best luck.
    Last edited by rchalker; 04-03-2018 at 11:46 AM.
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300