Furnace Trouble Day One

Well, its the first day of the year and I woke up this morning with it being -2F outside and 54F inside the house. Here I was working on the furnace at 4:30AM. I just had this 96% efficiency furnace put in so I was surprised to see it not working. I took the service panel off to see if I had a code. After getting the code I tested the said sensor only to find it working properly. Would you believe the problem turned out to be the return from outside. I found it full of snow from being sucked into it. With the temperatures being so cold lately, the ice in the PVC just couldnt thaw. So if you have a high efficiency furnace with both a vent and return from outside, check the PVC pipes for blockage first. That might just save you a service call.
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

Glad you figured that out and will keep the info in mind since I am getting a new furnace put in this summer

Glad you were able to find a simple solution before you froze and without having to call in an HVAC tech. And now your experience may benefit others if they have a similar issue.

I turned on the gas logs upstairs and downstairs right away after getting up. They are 60,000 and 45,000 BTU's so it didn’t take long to heat the house while I figured the problem out. I’m just glad I didn’t have to call someone out to only unblock a pipe. What a waste of money that would have been.

It was a record-23 below this morning! And 6 inches of snow on Friday.I noticed
    Comin home from a friend's party this am that an icicle was up to the top of the inlet or outlet pipe for the furnace. I btr go knock it down. Glad yur warm again!!! I had a few times comin home from work a few years ago and it was 50 degrees in here. I had a friend put a new thermostat in as i had an old dial mercury 1 still. It worked perfect after that

Thanks for sharing that info !! Definitely a "good to know" !! Hope it warms up for you !! It is supposed to dip into the 30's overnight .... That is craziness for Florida !!

Raining right now. Supposed to rain tomorrow as well .... Could be worse ....

Everyone stay warm and stay safe !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Rodney, I have one of the high efficiency furnaces with the horizontal PVC vent & return pipes also. During the winters here, I have to constantly watch those pipes to make sure they don't get covered in snow. The vent pipe constantly drips condensation and it builds up a huge icicle from the ground up. It would eventually block the vent pipe if not removed. They are more efficient, but require more vigilance.

Quote Originally Posted by Highspade View Post
    Rodney, I have one of the high efficiency furnaces with the horizontal PVC vent & return pipes also. During the winters here, I have to constantly watch those pipes to make sure they don't get covered in snow. The vent pipe constantly drips condensation and it builds up a huge icicle from the ground up. It would eventually block the vent pipe if not removed. They are more efficient, but require more vigilance.
    I love the efficiency of this furnace. It dropped my gas bill approximately $60 a month when the temperatures are in and below the teens. It would be nice if the owners manual said something about these pipes freezing up. Not everybody is as technical and mechanically inclined as myself. I fix the problem with a piece of heavy cable and a bucket of very hot water. I just let water run over the outside of the inlet pipe until the ice melted enough to poke it out. Not a difficult problem to fix but I’m sure most people make a service call. I hate to say it but I’m sure crooked technicians make money on people when it’s really a simple fix.

The "fix" sounds simple enough, except when you take into account you were doing this at 0430 at -2. Sounds like a heck of a way to bring in the new year. But you got it done and know what to watch out for so it doesn't happen again. LTD

.good you didn't have any frozen pipes to contend with on top of no heat. I just walk down to the basement and throw a stick of wood or two into my waterstove and it keeps the 500 gallons of water at around 200 degrees and that heats my 3000 sq ft house and my 2900 sq ft shop plus all the hot water to wash clothes and take showers and even wash cars with hot water if you want.. Only draw back is you have to enjoy cutting, hauling and stacking firewood. Wind chill here is 7 and temp is 16 outside, but toasty 72 inside
    If the bass ain't biting, I'm scratchin for silver

I haven't been on the forum for a while, so I just read your post. Hope you wont have this problem again since we are supposed to get hit by a bad storm in the next 24 hours.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bogdan "Don" Pieniak

Yeah, 4-8 inches coming soon. I’m not to excited about it. My back has been killing me this winter. I can’t wait for spring. I’m thinking about getting another nerve block. I’m about to go nuts because of the pain I’m in. I think on a scale 1-10, I’m at a 9 right now. There’s days I think I’m going to have a nervous break down. I just don’t know what to do to stop the pain.

I feel for you Rod! I'm sure you are doing everything you can to decrease the pain. Surgery is always a risk and a crap shoot. Drugs can be dangerous but sometimes effective, unfortunately with this opioid crisis doctors do not want to prescribe drugs to people who really need them. I don't know who has the answers just keep plugging away and pray for more days that are better than days that are bad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bogdan "Don" Pieniak

So sorry that you are having such painful wintery days--I have a younger sister that is constantly fighting back pain from an injury while working in the intensive care unit at a hospital, even after surgery she still has to stay on medication-- I can't say I know how you feel but I know someone that does--Hope and pray you can find some relief
    If the bass ain't biting, I'm scratchin for silver

Furnace trouble fix...

New member here, was lurking and saw this post and figured I could help out rchalker & introduce myself.

I purchased a MXT pro some years ago based on recommendations from users that had posted on various forums. Great hobby, but never really had the time for it. But with retirement getting close figured I have more time to devote to it. Thanks for letting me onboard. I have received a lot of good info from all of you. Thank you.

What you need is a concentric vent kit. Basically it's a pipe within a pipe, the center pipe is the exhaust and the outer pipe is the inlet. The exhaust sticks further out than the inlet so gases aren't recirculated and it preheats the inlet air keeping it from freezing/icing over. Only 1 penetration in the outer wall. Most manufactures offer these as an option, can also be homemade. Homemade not as pretty as factory but still functional. Will work in the vertical or horizontal installations. Most contractors in the know use them and don't give the customer an option. In my opinion they are mandatory in the northern climates. I used one on my parent's house and they live in S. NM. To far for me to go back on a no heat call, lol.

Lee

Welcome to the forum Uawelder. Thank you for the great information on the furnace. It’s done that twice this winter so your help is very helpful. I’m going to check on that kit tomorrow for sure. Thanks again.

PS - I just checked that kit out on YouTube and it’s brilliant. I have to do this for sure.
    Last edited by rchalker; 01-27-2018 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Add text