Silver and bucket listers on Last likely hunts for the year

The one thing anyone who hunts cellar holes can tell you is that silver is few and far between. I've been in a major silver slump for the past couple of months, mostly cause I have not hit a yard or anything lately. Also I think I abused my mxsport too much, and it's been acting up a bit lately. Either way I managed to pull all of these goodies the past two hunts. Seems like I find more pocket watches and bells than any normal man should. I think I'm easily over the 20 mark on pocket watches and parts this year. I'm also at like 6 of these telephone or door bells, and around 5 or 6 crotal bells for the year. Also this past hunt yielded a few firsts for me and knocked out a few bucket listers as well. Found my first Silver thimble marked stirling with a makers mark on the inside. Also found my first stirrup, just an iron one but I'm counting it. Also the two small items in my picture I've never seen before; the one looks almost like a lead toy cover for a pot or stein the other looks like a fancy cap for something, but not sure for what. Thanks for checking it out. might be one of my last hunts for this winter unless I make it down to long island or the weather lets up here for a day.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171206_193354_resized.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	238.8 KB 
ID:	111115Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171206_193308_resized.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	243.5 KB 
ID:	111116Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171206_193403_resized.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	219.3 KB 
ID:	111117Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171206_193407_resized.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	192.7 KB 
ID:	111118Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171206_193337_resized.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	157.7 KB 
ID:	111119Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171206_193324_resized.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	237.4 KB 
ID:	111120

Nice bunch of finds. WTG!
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

Good haul !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Nice assortment of finds congrats on all. I like the thimble
    Growing old is not for sissies.I thought it would take longer to get old.

Quote Originally Posted by trapperart View Post
    Nice assortment of finds congrats on all. I like the thimble
    I'm stoke to finally have a silver one. Ive found several brass, a few heart stopping aluminum, but never a silver one before. Wish my cellar holes were as old as the ones you hunt though, would be nice to find more old coppers.

Quote Originally Posted by rchalker View Post
    Nice bunch of finds. WTG!
    Quote Originally Posted by deolslyfox View Post
    Good haul !!
    Thanks guys. Also that silver thimble was only like 6 inches deep and my detector gave me trouble getting a consistent signal...... another target that makes me think the detector is going funny.....make me wonder what I might be missing. i really need a test garden

Thimbles usually hit pretty hard and not too variable on the VDI numbers but it matters how it’s laying in the ground. A test garden would be nice to test how your machine sounds on a 10" to 11" quarter. If you really think your detector sounds a bit out of tune, I wouldn’t hesitate sending it in for a checkup. At least you will know for sure.

Cellar holes can be one of the hardest venues to work !! Mostly because of the iron content. Not just the iron that is still solid, but the iron that has "rusted to dust" and become part of the soil matrix !! Think about detecting thru a coverning of iron filings !! When I used to work old cellar holes I would sometimes draw a bar magnet thru the soil. If it came up covered in rusty iron bits, I knew that the only "solution" was to "dig everything". That high a concentration of iron will mask ANYTHING .... High conductor (silver), low conductor (gold) and everything in between !!

Tip: If you find a really "productive" cellar hole where you're pulling a fair number of coins or "good artifacts", consider coming back with a magnet and a shovel. After you've covered the "top", turn the dirt over about 10" deep, spread it around and go over it again. You'll be surprised what you'll "un-mask".
    Use the magnet to check the iron content of the patch you're working. A small, concentrated patch of iron might indicate a box that rusted away over the years. If you find a spot like that, dig deeper. Your efforts may be rewarded ....

Quote Originally Posted by Tpmetal View Post
    Thanks guys. Also that silver thimble was only like 6 inches deep and my detector gave me trouble getting a consistent signal...... another target that makes me think the detector is going funny.....make me wonder what I might be missing. i really need a test garden
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Neat bunch of relic finds, congrats on the silver thimble!!
    Proverbs 3:5-6

Like that stirrup, and the rest of the variety of finds. History there. The cap may be off an oil lamp reservoir, the rim looks like it was designed for grip.

Quote Originally Posted by deolslyfox View Post
    Cellar holes can be one of the hardest venues to work !! Mostly because of the iron content. Not just the iron that is still solid, but the iron that has "rusted to dust" and become part of the soil matrix !! Think about detecting thru a coverning of iron filings !! When I used to work old cellar holes I would sometimes draw a bar magnet thru the soil. If it came up covered in rusty iron bits, I knew that the only "solution" was to "dig everything". That high a concentration of iron will mask ANYTHING .... High conductor (silver), low conductor (gold) and everything in between !!

Tip: If you find a really "productive" cellar hole where you're pulling a fair number of coins or "good artifacts", consider coming back with a magnet and a shovel. After you've covered the "top", turn the dirt over about 10" deep, spread it around and go over it again. You'll be surprised what you'll "un-mask".
    Use the magnet to check the iron content of the patch you're working. A small, concentrated patch of iron might indicate a box that rusted away over the years. If you find a spot like that, dig deeper. Your efforts may be rewarded ....
    Yeah all these cellar holes seem to have iron every few inches. I dig as much large iron as possible to clear up signals, and it helps. I like the magnet idea, I have some really heavy duty magnets I could use. problem is that I am too lazy to turn up that much soil haha. One thing I'm curious about is the signals that have no vdi number and are very loud unique sound. I think people call them drop out signals? Why do these happen? I've only ever tried to dig one or two, but they are hard to pin point and I get so deep and usually quit finding nothing.

Interesting finds and also the comments about cellar holes and iron. Glad you finally got a silver thimble. LTD

Great information Fox. Thanks for sharing.

You do find some interesting items. I'm still looking for a cellar hole.

A lot of history there, if only those relics could talk. I really like that thimble, looks to be in good shape. Congrats TP!
    Anyone can dig a plug, I prefer a plug full of goodies.

Good interesting finds
    White's V3i....White's M6....White's Coinmaster Pro....White's Coinmaster....
    White's Classic II SL....White's Classic III....Fisher Aqua....
    Tesoro Golden uMax....

If I can't do it, I sure don't want to watch anyone else do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastdigs View Post
    You do find some interesting items. I'm still looking for a cellar hole.
    where in ny are you?

Nice collection. Old places are interesting and you hit a good one! Great variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Tpmetal View Post
    where in ny are you?
    When in New York it is around Chemung and Steuben county - Corning area.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastdigs View Post
    When in New York it is around Chemung and Steuben county - Corning area.
    Im in allegany. Let me know if you ever want meet up sometime when your in the area.