Refuribished Beaches

I have been detecting off and on from last winter to this winter for about one year I guess now, on a beach in NC that has been refurbished or in other words has had millions of tons of new sand pumped up onto the beach to widen and raise the height above sea level. Its good for the township with vacationers and all. However for the treasure hunter the pickings have been slim when it comes to coins and other goodies. I was wondering have other beach hunters been working thees kind of beaches and how long does it take for the findings to start getting back to the way they were before the beach refurbishment. The new beach is a whole lot wider and deeper than before and all I can think is all the old targets now out of range. The only good thing that I see happening is how much erosion that i can see happening down by the low tide mark. It looks like a good six feet or more from the lowest point to the highest point where the dry sand begins. If I keep working this low point i might have some success again.
    Happy Hunting and may all your finds be Silver and Gold unless your into Iron or Lead that's ok too.

I once wet to a refurbished park and found a 1876 foreign coin in the dirt they brought in as filler. You just never know

I think it has a lot to do as to where they are dredging the sand from. There are so many wrecks out there that no one knows about. And ones that are known. You may want to try to research what areas the dredges are drawing from. I have found that hunting new sand can be interesting. For me it is a lot of swinging but not much digging. My son at the age of 13 is a world war two buff. When we started pulling 55 Cal. bullet casings out of the sand ( come to find out where they dredged from was an old WWll practice area for pilots. We have 28 casings and 5 actual bullets ) He was absolutely hooked on metal detecting. The oldest coin I found on the beach was in that area. 1937 merc. Also an old but very nice silver ring. After it was cleaned it was beautiful. My wife wears it. So give it a try.

Restored beaches from dredging can often produce some really good finds !! Things that have been buried for decades, even centuries are brought up, especially old coins and sailing ship related artifacts .... I have taken Indian Head pennies off Daytona Beach after "sanding in" operations .... Most of us that hunt the beaches always look at a fill-in as "an opportunity to excel".
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Well this information gives me some hope. I do know that there were 55 cal casings pulled out of this dredged sand. I think there were dredge operations going on from about 2 miles off shore. So the idea of ship wrecks and wwII stuff has me going back hoping to find some things like that. This is on Holden Beach in Brunswick Co. NC has a lot ship wreck history and WWII activity off it's shores. So far my findings have been bottlecaps,pull tabs, tent stakes the usual can slaw and a coin every now and then and a fake pirate cob mentioned in another post from this summer. Thanks for the encouragement I will not give up.
    Happy Hunting and may all your finds be Silver and Gold unless your into Iron or Lead that's ok too.

Good luck finding some oldies.
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

howy tripp
    I have a friend who owns a house on Holden beach and I have stayed there several times over the pasts 15 years. I have experienced the same thing as you. I have spent days and days searching the sand and shore line and my finds pretty much add up to what you are saying, My guess is too that a lot of snow birds scour that spot all fall and early spring too, so my guess is the pickings are few and far between. Maybe sometime when me and old blondie are headed that way I'll give you a holler and might hunt an hour or two
    If the bass ain't biting, I'm scratchin for silver

I checked out a refurbished beach for about an hour in Ocean City N.J. I found a few things that I am not sure what they are but very interesting. I did find a 1964 penny. Was hoping for something older but only have one hour into the area. I will be going back as soon as i can for extended hunt. Did you ever go back to your area to hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by Mackdog View Post
    I once wet to a refurbished park and found a 1876 foreign coin in the dirt they brought in as filler. You just never know
    I did the same thing in Boloxi MS after Katrina. They were pumping sand in from about 1/2 mile out.
    One Man's Trash...........is What I usually Find.

XP Deus / CTX 3030 / (waiting on White's new flagship)

Where are the diamond rings?.............They said there'd be diamond rings !