The test of the V3i

It is getting near the end of the season and I decided to test a theory of mine. There are 4 very old and hunted parks here in Spokane. Many people get skunked at them. I could spend a maximum of 3 hours each hunt. SO I decided to challenge myself to see if I could find at least one good coin in each. The first one I found 4 silver dimes 2 Merc's and 2 Barbs, 5 wheat's, 4 buffalos and a gold ring. The second I got a 2 wheat, a pocket watch frame and housing from 12" an a 1901 IHP. 3rd park was really tuff but scored 1894 and 1906 IHP's. Last park got lots of clad, silver ring and 1904 S buffalo. It proves that sometimes you just got to work harder but most places are not hunted out, especially with the V3i.

Thanks for your help

MackDog

Nice job, nothing's ever hunted out. The v3i sounds awesome

Good goin' Mack .... Go back after a good rain and you'll find even more !! NO place is ever totally "hunted out" ....
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

What a great job hunting Mack. You definitely have that V3i figured out. Keep it up!
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

Yep, you've got your V3i dialed in all right. If you pay for my plane ticket I'll gladly fly out there and you can show me how you do it. If I could find one of those goofy smiley faces I'd stick it in there. LTD

Sometimes when I’m hunting I feel like it’s a wasted day only finding a couple of coins then I look at what I’ve found and really appreciate it. So many people say they wish they could live back east so they can find old stuff. I study the local history and am totally happy with some of my finds. To think I found a capped bust dime in fine or better condition in Spokane is great. But to put it in prospective it’s awasome. That means it had to be lost by one of the early traders before there was even a town. My oldest coin here is a 1806 king George copper. iWork very hard at detecting and God has given me so many great finds because of it. In my life I have a lot of stress. I work at the jail for the last 16 years, did 22 years in the service and my wife has had many medical issues. Detecting has given me peace of mind from all of that. I hope all of you get the same relief and peace while your detecting. Remember it’s not the value of something that makes it a treasure.

happy hunting MackDog

Mack .... You have a great, and IMHO the "right" attitude !!

After 6+ decades of detecting I am into "quality", not quantity. I enjoy working "hammered" spots and pulling up that 8 - 10" wheat cent. A couple of "deep keepers" is a good day in my book .... Knowing that I am squeezing the last bit of depth out of my detector is also rewarding !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackdog View Post
    Sometimes when I’m hunting I feel like it’s a wasted day only finding a couple of coins then I look at what I’ve found and really appreciate it. So many people say they wish they could live back east so they can find old stuff. I study the local history and am totally happy with some of my finds. To think I found a capped bust dime in fine or better condition in Spokane is great. But to put it in prospective it’s awasome. That means it had to be lost by one of the early traders before there was even a town. My oldest coin here is a 1806 king George copper. iWork very hard at detecting and God has given me so many great finds because of it. In my life I have a lot of stress. I work at the jail for the last 16 years, did 22 years in the service and my wife has had many medical issues. Detecting has given me peace of mind from all of that. I hope all of you get the same relief and peace while your detecting. Remember it’s not the value of something that makes it a treasure.

happy hunting MackDog
    This is why I love relic hunting. Mostly nothing of value comes up, but it is all really interesting cool history

I agree with your attitude Mackdog.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastdigs View Post
    I agree with your attitude Mackdog.
    Same here. LTD

Sometime when I'm headed to Spokane I'd really like to meet up and get some ponters on how to really use the big V. No one in this area to actually learn from and no other detectors other than my digging buddy that I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Sometime when I'm headed to Spokane I'd really like to meet up and get some ponters on how to really use the big V. No one in this area to actually learn from and no other detectors other than my digging buddy that I know.
    Then you must have a lot of undetected sites. Where you located?

SE WA, Dayton. Not a lot of places to dig. One city park, and part of a State park. Not much else, but there are old homesteads. Most have been hit in the past, I'm told, by detectors in the 70'-90's.

I will be working on my daughters place in the spring and usually spend a few days up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    SE WA, Dayton. Not a lot of places to dig. One city park, and part of a State park. Not much else, but there are old homesteads. Most have been hit in the past, I'm told, by detectors in the 70'-90's.

I will be working on my daughters place in the spring and usually spend a few days up there.
    The new detectors will greatly out depth the best of the 70's even early 2000's

Quote Originally Posted by Mackdog View Post
    The new detectors will greatly out depth the best of the 70's even early 2000's
    I have to agree with the new machines going a bit deeper. In the past I had never thought that was true, until I was with my hunting buddy and I had a good loud signal. I asked him to come over and see what he thought it was. His old reliable detector didn't even give off a single beep or noise. I dug it and it was just a small brass spigot, like one that would go on a cask of some kind, and it was quite a ways down, I think over 8". But my V3i detector saw it and his did not. He has an older machine from the 80's I think - not a Whites, but from another major company. He's been detecting since he got back from Vietnam in the 60's and he does have a knack for finding stuff and has had good luck in the past, just not deep stuff.

Last summer he took me to a couple of his hunted out spots, old school sites that he had hunted off and on since the 70's, and at one I found a Barber dime and at another an Indian cent. Now I need to have him show me more of his old "hunted out" spots so I can go look and see if I have any more luck.

Good luck Scott. I hope you find more old silvers on his hunting sites.
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300