Whites 6000 D series 2

Hi guys.. I'm new to this site.. but have the above detector that I used for a while when I bought it new back in 1982 or so.. Now after a long absence I'd like to get into hunting for gold in streams and on ground shelves.
    I bought the optional 18" coil and the small nugget crevice coil for this machine and have really not used either ..
    When I went to fire up the machine, using fresh batteries it would not turn on.. (contacts all bright and shiny)..
    Question is this the machine I want to hunt placer gold with?
    Question is this machine worth sending in for repair ?

Thanks for any replies,

Wayne Hennie

Welcome to the forum !!

I have a 6KDS2 that I got new in '82. I still take it out now and again. I won't part with mine. Its too much fun and has too many memories of hunting with my Bro, etc. If I were you, I'd have it repaired. It's a 6.592 Khz machine. It won't see smaller targets as good as the 50 Khz GMT, or even the 15 Khz MXT series, but it will hold its own in bad ground. I have picked up diamond stud earrings with my 6KDS2, and have used it in places where other units wouldn't ground balance as well.

You are in Civil War territory !! The 5000 and 6000 series units used to have an almost "cult" following among relic hunters. When I was relic hunting in the Shenandoah Valley, I dug enough minie' balls with the 6KDS2 to start my own militia unit !! For that reason alone, I'd have 'er fixed !!

Good luck and good hunting !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Welcome to the forum Wayne.
    Placer gold... The machines you want to look into are the TDI SL (PI) and the GMT (VLF). These two machines do very well finding placer gold.
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

Welcome to the forum. I still have a 6000Di Series 3. The 6000 series detectors ARE great detectors. Hopefully yours can be still be repaired.