What machine gives the best response to Modern Canadian coins?

For those in Canada - Our coins have been made from about every metal imaginable.
    Our current coins have a metal content of;

The last year pennies were made they contained 2.35 94.0% steel, 4.5% copper, 1.5% nickle
    Since 2000 our Nickles have been made from; 94.5% steel, 3.5% copper, 2% nickle plating
    Between 1978 and 1999 our Dimes were made from 99% nickle Since 2000 they are made from 92% steel, 5.5% copper, 2.5% nickle plating.
    Our Quarters are notoriously hard to pick up with any detector. The current quarters are made from 94% steel, 3.8% copper, 2.2% nickle plating
    Since 1987 our Loonie has been made from 91.5% electroplated nickle with 8.5% bronze plating.
    And our Twoonie is made with an inner core of 92% copper, 2% nickle, 6% aluminum and out ring of 99% nickle.

I am currently swinging a DFX.
    I run it wide open on the discrimination.
    Dual mode
    And the AC sensitivity just below the EMI level.

Canadian coins show up on my VDI in the minus numbers between zinc and iron. They bounce anywhere between a -61 and -83. A current Canadian quarter hardly shows up at all. The tone I get is very faint and just barely above an iron grunt. When I pinpoint a quarter laying on the ground it shows as 13" deep.

So it seems that I am going to be in the market for a new machine. I find that I am walking right over coins laying on the ground and the machine can't see them.

Can anyone make a recommendation on which White's machine would work better on our Canadian coins than my DFX?

Which is your favorite and most successful machine for finding Canadian clad?

From my experience those Canadian coins are tough to find as a good target with any VLF machine. They seem to read as a mix of nonferrous and ferrous materials on the VDI numbers. Most of the time when I find one of those Canadian coins it due to me trying to cleanup the iron from a hole just to find a good target. They just don’t sound great on my V3i either and finding them is basically a dig everything type hunt which can turn into a lot of extra work if you’re coin hunting.
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

Before you give up on the DFX, try Mixed Mode. You'll hear those steel coins loud and clear in the All Metal audio !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

I do use mixed mode all the time. I just called it dual mode by mistake in my first post.

Sorry Wizard! I wish I had better news for you. Here, I can only hope the US doesn’t start making their coinage with steel. It would be very disappointing but I feel the time is coming soon. We have the zinc pennies and although we detect them well, they are total garbage in the way they hold up to the elements. Steel in coins, I wouldn’t think they can hold up too well either.

If you can't see the steel coins with your DFX in All Metal mode, there's a coil or a box issue with your DFX !! If you have a different coil, try it. If not, and if you have a dealer nearby, ask him to check out your coil.
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

I have tried two different coils on my DFX and I have tried the same tests using an AT Pro Int. and a GTI2500. Canadian quarters are the worse. All three machines and different coils give about the same response. All three will see them to one extent to another. My DFX has VDI's that bounce all over the place and give a very slight rising accumulation on the Spectragraph. I actually find the spectragraph to give a more consistant reading than the DVI.

Of course I am not watching the VDI or spectragraph most of the time. When out in the field I am using tones as the primary indicator. I use tones to clue me in to look at the screen. Of course the audio tone sounds just like a nail and is very hard to pick out as a separate item. So i dig the nail.

I guess I was just hoping that there was a machine a bit more sensitive in the range of Canadian coins or would give me a more reliable or repeatable indication.

I was not hoping for a miracle or quick fix. So I guess, in the end, it will be more practice and live with the fact that I am going to pass right over a lot of coins and dig the nails instead.

I have a few Canadian coins here but only two kinds of modern steel coins. The 25 cent and the 10 cent. Tomorrow in the light of day I will bury a 25 cent coin and test it with the detectors I have at six to eight inches. With the V3i, I just air tested the 25 cent coin and it was between +70 - +90 with a few negative VDI’s. The 10 cent VDI’s at -79 and in no way does it sound like a good target to dig if I was coin shooting. My yard is pretty high in mineralization so hopefully the soil doesn’t mask the coin(s).

My 2˘ worth: You may just have to concentrate on older sites and coins. Possibly jump the Strait to the US for a holiday and some US $. Or possibly align yourself with a historic site and offer to find items for them. I did that back in the 70s. Could not keep anything but I got to hunt 17th century virgin sites. Best wishes.

Hi My Fellow TH'er I have used my DFX in Toronto a few times and as with most of the TH'ing that I do I use the Relic Mode and dig all targets. I have no issues with any Canadian Coins!
    You will have to decide what beeps you want to dig but give it a try and you will see that you will make many more good finds by digging every target that you hear. Give it a try and report back at your earliest!
    Best of luck!

Today I buried a Canadian 25 cent at six inches. I only heard it well through the all metal. I wouldn’t have dug it if I was detecting it in a field while coin shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by rchalker View Post
    Today I buried a Canadian 25 cent at six inches. I only heard it well through the all metal. I wouldn’t have dug it if I was detecting it in a field while coin shooting.
    And that was with a V3i correct?

Now you see what i am up against every day.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    And that was with a V3i correct?

Now you see what i am up against every day.
    Yes sir, that’s with the V3i. I was very surprised because yesterday I did an air test with that 25 cent coin and it sounded promising but after burying it today it completely disappeared except for the all metal mode. I’m sure you don’t want to be digging in all metal mode and digging everything but those Canadian coins just don’t give you any choice. I truly feel bad for Canadian detectorist. It might be good for hunting silver but the clad is always nice to count up at the end of the year. I’ve always given it to my daughter but I can see a lot of people using that money to buy new tools and batteries for the new season. You Canadian can’t get nearly enough without really working hard to do it. But again, who really what’s to dig every single iron target? No body! Well sir, I truly wish you all the luck. You still have the loonie and twoonie to detect. (How often do Canadian use the loonie and twoonie?) We here in the US have our dollar coins but we haven’t started using them like many other countries have. We are still using the dollar bill because carrying a few dollars in dollar coins still seems strange to us. Good luck and happy hunting.