The Free State of Jones aka Jones County Mississippi

Question MXT Pro - Coil Question???

Howdy to all... I'm sure this is probably an old question, but I am hoping for some responses from people who have been using their MXT Pro for a prolonged period of time...

I currently use the 950 and 5.3 coil but want to purchase a coil that will give me more depth than either of these. I do not want this coil as my primary as I like the 950 and I am wanting this coil to use to go over permissions that I and others have already spent many a day hunting. What I am wanting to get deeper on these properties because I have pulled some big iron/tin at 18+ inches on them and in some cases the properties have 6 to 10 inches of fill dirt on them and I want to get thru it to the old ground underneath... I am not looking for any one type of item, but would like to be able to find smaller items at 12+ inches if possible and of course 18 inches would be great, but I'm not getting my hopes up on that depth for small items...

I know I may be asking too much, but am hoping that some of you will tell me it can be done and let me know what set-ups you use to get it done. Of course detailed examples along with photos and or videos of these coils in action and the finds found with them would be great!!!

Welcome to the forum.
    If you like the concentric coils then the only coil I can think of with more depth is the Super 12 coil. The Super 12 is a very heavy coil and it’s like swinging a brick. My suggestion for more depth than the 950 Eclipse is the Detech 13”DD Ultimate coil. This DD coil has great depth and super separation of targets. You’ll only get a little more depth not anything near 18”. In soil low in mineralization you may hit on a quarter at 13”-14”. Normally the larger the coil the more likely you are to miss smaller targets but with the Detech 13”DD it still hits great on a deep dime. I hope this information helps.

https://www.whiteselectronics.com/pr...-coil/?lang=us

https://www.whiteselectronics.com/pr...-coil/?lang=us
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

Welcome to the forum. I run the 13 inch coil most of the time, in my field hunts. You may be expecting too much depth from the MXTPro. I run as hot as I can with almost no discrimination. Good luck. Art
    Growing old is not for sissies.I thought it would take longer to get old.

I agree with Rod and Art .... 18" on a coin-sized object is an unrealistic expectation. If you'd be happy with 12" on a quarter-sized object, either the 12" super or the 13" DD will be your best bet. I own both and personally prefer the concentric 12" super coil over the 13" DD.

Also, as Art noted, running with minimal discrimination will improve your depth a bit.

Hope this is helpful.
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

First off, THANKS to all who have responded thus far, I do appreciate the information...

As far Concentric, I'm not stuck on them, my detector came with the 950 and when I was looking for a sharp shooter the 5.3 seemed to be what I wanted based on what others like y'all said about it and the other sharp shooter coils and let me say I have not been disappointed with the 5.3 and it is currently on my machine and will get used in within the hour at one of the permissions I want to go back over with something that will get deeper than my 950.

I am also not concerned if the large coil I purchase misses smaller targets at shallower depths as in most cases it will be used in locations that I and others have already spent many hours hunting. In my case I will have already been over these areas with both my 950 & 5.3 multiple times, in fact one location I have been detecting at for 3 years now, is one that a large portion of it has several inches of fill dirt on top of the old ground. This location had a large school on it during the 1st 1/2 of the 20th century and we have already found coins and relics that date back to the end of the 19th century. The location I am headed to in just a few minutes is another one that right now I have been putting 12 to 20 hours a week in at for the last month or so and it is still giving up some neat relics and this past Monday it even gave up 10 pieces of silver out of one hole.

As far as weight is concerned, it is not a concern as I am a large fellow and as long as I am finding something, I am good to go... Some of the folks I hunt with get a kick out of my willingness to dig the deep holes just to recover a piece of scrap iron, but once I get a signal and decide to dig it, I'm not quitting till I find it and there has only been a couple of times when the item has not come up out of the ground. In the couple of instances that I left the scrap metal in the ground it was due to the fact that it was a large piece of tin, plate, etc... and the size of the hole was just going to be to noticeable in the lawns I was in...

I forgot to put my setup in the original post, but I hunt in the Coin & Jewelry Mode, with my gain between 3 & +3 depending on how much trash is at the location and how many times I have covered the same ground, and I run my Dual Control between 2 & 3 with my Ground setting in the Lock position.

I was hoping for more than 12 inches as I know some of the permissions I/we hunt have given up coins up to 15 inches deep, but those were not recovered by me, instead they were recovered by a friend using a different brand of detector and a large DD coil, which is why I was hoping I could get the same results with a larger coil.

Does anyone have any experience with the 15 inch Max Coil... I was also recently reading about a 25" coil that is no longer in production, but I think what I read about it said that it was basically useless on small items and was only for larger items... I was asking about the 14" DD coil in another forum/group and got not one single positive response on it, have any of you used it?

After all of that, I do plan on purchasing a new detector and at this point was planning on going with the V3i wireless, but my question is will it allow me to get deeper than 12 inches and I know I really just need to get over in that sub forum and post that question, which I will do tonight...

Is my hopes of getting deeper than 12 inches out of the question with all White's detectors or is there one that will consistently do this as I am open to suggestions and would hate to spend the price of the V3i to feel like I am not any better off than I currently am with my MXT Pro...

Ok, I know I just got long winded, but I tried to touch on things brought up in all of the responses above this one...

Thanks Again, Y'all!!!

I can, and have pulled quarters at 14" in the dry sand at beaches on both coasts using the 10"DD. I hasten to tell you that our soil is VERY sweet, and I can run "maxed out" as long as I'm not in a high EMI area.

If anyone tells you that they are consistently pulling coins at 18" with anything other than a PI unit such as the TDI, I'd ask for a "show me". I think most folks here will tell you that 12" is about the max depth that you can expect with consistency. You might get a good coin deeper if you're workin' in sweet soil, or just after a good soaking rain, spring thaw, etc.

Also, 12" is about the max coil size if you don't want to start missing smaller targets such as stud earrings, small chains, etc.

Finally, the V3i will give you the ability to deal with just about any soil or EMI conditions that you'll run across, and it will give you as good or better depth than any other VLF unit on the market.

Good luck !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Sounds like you have a sweet site to hunt. As for depth over 12” I can only say try the Detech 13”DD (the Detech is very light weight for its size.) or the Super 12” concentric. I run a V3i and with the Detech 13”DD I still only get 13”-14” on a quarter. The thing about the V3i is it has a multiple of settings to help hunt different ground conditions and it can overcome EMI in some places better than a lot of other machines and even better with the right coils. Your 950 Eclipse is a great coil for high EMI areas. The 10”DD coil is my primary coil used and I’ve dug a silver pocket watch at 14”-15” with it so size of the target will have much to do with depth.

I heard claims of great depth around 15” with some of those large butterfly coils but I’ve never been there to see it in person. The 15” Max, I really can’t say how well it works. Maybe someone here will have more information on it and those other coils.
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

The 13 inch is light, good separation, will hit small targets, and about all the depth you will get from your machine. Good luck and happy hunting.
    Growing old is not for sissies.I thought it would take longer to get old.

I don't get to hunt the sand very often and most of the sand on our Gulf-Coast is hauled in for our man made beaches and isn't that deep... No one has claimed they are getting coins at 18 inches deep, I was just hoping it might be possible due to the property I hunt that has had fill dirt put over a portion of it... Sounds like I need to read up on the PI units before purchasing my next detector. As far as missing smaller items, I can live with that because in most cases I will have already hunted the permissions with my other 2 coils and many times there will have been people with me using other brands of detectors that have also hunted the same property and I was just hoping for something that would let me get really deep, but it sounds like that is a lost cause...

I do have a couple of sweet permissions for my part of the world, but since we have no real history here, our sweet spots don't even compare to those of folks only a 100 miles from us in all 4 directions...

The reason I was hoping for more depth was because I have hunted with a fellow who has one of the large butterfly coils on his competitors brand detector and I have seen him repeatedly pull dimes and pennies at 15 inches out of dry hard pack soil, though I can tell you what kind of soil as I haven't learned that yet. I know me and the other fellow we hunt with joke with him about him letting us dig all the trash out of the way so he can go behind us and get those deep coins that we don't even know are there with our machines. And in his case it is the coil because the other fellow was using the same machine but different coil, they have both recently bought new machines, but the fellow getting the depth still breaks out that machine when he wants to get the deep stuff.

So far not only here but also in the Facebook groups that I have asked this question in, the 13" DD is the most suggested coil and the 14" Deep scan was the least liked...

But I have yet to hear from anyone with any real time with the 15" Max...

I will get the opportunity to use a friends 12 inch concentric coil in the next couple of weeks and will let y'all know what I think of it...

Again, Thanks for all the input, I really do appreciate y'alls willingness to share your acquired knowledge...

Welcome to the forum.

My 2 worth: I have a similar issue here in Maryland - a couple old homesteads back to 1690s-1700s but a lot of landscaping and added soil on top. I also have of lots of iron (I think they poured new topsoil over the old farm surface that was littered with scrap iron) and hot rocks. I've been running the 10" DD on my MXT AP and getting down to about 8 - 10 inches in dry mineralized soil. The rain has helped depth and increased the Rx from 6-7 up to 9+ with better target recognition. I just got the 12" concentric and plan to try it out for better depth. I've heard mixed views on the Detech 13"DD so I'm going with what I have for now. I also noticed that if I go to the single 2.5kHz frequency on my VX3, I get increased depth and better target separation. If iron is not an issue, I might consider a TDI SL - but will let others comment on this as my knowledge of the TDI is limited.

I have seen coins come up from 13 and a half inches using the 12"/300 coil, I also have the 15" Whites MXT Max but that is best for deep searching where you can take plenty of breaks etc, Don't be put off about the weight of the 12" coil, because my MXT 300 only came with that coil so I had no choice at the time but after a couple of days swinging that coil I did not notice it,

I know that someone in the Whites treasure stories hit a 1oz Gold Nugget using the 12" coil at 18" deep so it has the power and I know of some larger Nuggets being found at over 20"+ using the 12"/300 Coil so don't write it off just yet, Also check out the Detech 14x10 Excelerator EQ2 Pro Coil it is very light and about as deep as the 12" but it is a DD, Personally I prefer the Whites 12" coil because it discriminates better being a Concentric Coil so it ID's Iron better which means you can use less DISC compared to when using a DD,

Hope that helps,

John.