Thread: Quit working

Quit working

My old reliable XLT has bit the dust. Yesterday the ldc screen was acting up (getting very dim) . And now when I try to turn the detector on, it comes on then goes right back off. I am thinking it may be time to get another detector, instead of having this one worked on.
    What do you think? Fix or replace? Ive tried the reset, with no luck.

From a technology standpoint, it is time for an upgrade. However, I would hate to think of life w/o an XLT in my arsenal. I would definitely have the XLT repaired and keep it as a backup unit. IMHO, XLT was / is one of the best machines that Whites produced !!

You might even consider a good used DFX to pair with your XLT. The learning curve is minimal and you'll get the benefit of multi-frequency ops.

Good luck !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Fox makes a good point. Besides, if it's able to be fixed at a reasonable price, fix it. You never know if you will have a hunting buddy come with you that needs to use your extra machine. This lightweight detector sure packs a punch too.
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

I also would get it fixed and keep it for backup or for a friend to use. Then maybe get the sport with the 13" ultimate coil, it's a beast and easy to use.

I still have my Eagle Spectrum... It's a great machine and still does an amazing job.
    I do need to take a little trip up to Sweet Home though .... The backlight quit working so I want to get that taken care of.
    Probably end up coming home with something new too.... like another TRX.. ... the little woman absconded with mine so I have been using my old bullseye...
    "REMEMBER" ........ EVEN THE WORST DAY DETECTING IS STILL BETTER THAN THE BEST DAY WORKING............
    Eagle Spectrum, ----
    Coils include, 5.3, 950, 12" Hothead, Bigfoot. /

MXT.----
    Coils include, 4x6, 6x10, 950, 1400. /

V3i-----
    Coils include 10DD, 950, 6x10, 4x6

thanks for the advice. I found a DFX that is like new for $300. I may get it and have my XLT repaired. It depends on how much it cost to repair. It would be nice to have 2.

I had the exact same problem with my XLT some years back. The problem for me was a not fully charge battery. I also clean the contacts of both the machine and battery. After a good 8 hour charge it worked great... Hope this helps.

Any day out metal detecting is a good day !

I will give that a try. I bought the DFX for $225. It looks like new and works great. Hopefully I will have 2 detectors that work.