Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    267

    Youtube Video Shows TDI PRO picking up a nickel at 18 inches!!!!!!!

    Youtube video: "Depth Test -- Surf PI, Sand Shark, Infinium, TDI Pro and ATX"

    This video shows the TDI PRO picking up a nickel at 18 inches!!! The same video shows the Surfmaster picking up a nickel, as a very faint warble, at 14 inches.

    I sometimes dig heavier gold rings, at that depth - 14 inches. If the TDI PRO is put into the water, it should be a gold wrecking machine!!!! There is alot of gold past 14 inches. If a person waits long enough, it sometimes becomes accessible after storm surges, after large volumes of sand have been shifted around. But, who wants to wait six months, just to get a few more inches??

    All the complaints about the Surfmaster going "too deep" are hogwash. Such complaints come from people who do not know how to find gold. Would it be any great leap to make the TDI PRO submersible? We put a man on the moon. I cannot believe it would be that difficult...

    The nice thing about the Whites Surfmaster is that it is really heavy duty, and can be easily used 40 hours a week, in the water. I wouldn't want a rickety non-Whites detector that cannot withstand the workload.
    Last edited by BenjaminE; 09-18-2017 at 07:19 AM.

  2. #2
    deolslyfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    47,455
    Interesting ....
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

  3. #3
    hottrodder67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pfafftown, NC
    Posts
    1,897
    I had seen the video when I was looking for a pulse induction detector. That was one of the reasons I got the tdi over the surfmaster. Since I'm not going in the water I figured why do I need it water proof? I'm still learning the sl and have added a lithium pack (4 cell) to it. The voltage increase does add depth!
    Mama said, "Detecting is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get..."

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by hottrodder67 View Post
    I had seen the video when I was looking for a pulse induction detector. That was one of the reasons I got the tdi over the surfmaster. Since I'm not going in the water I figured why do I need it water proof? I'm still learning the sl and have added a lithium pack (4 cell) to it. The voltage increase does add depth!
    How is it working for you, so far?? I go to a beach where I have probably found over 100 rings. Maybe 60-70 are gold. Many are really deep packed underneath interlocking pieces of coral. I detected dry sand at the same beach and never found one single piece of gold, in two years. I know of a fellow who lucked out on a 13 gram gold chain and pendant that had just gotten dropped. I used an old XLT on the dry sand. My theory is that people lose alot of gold - especially 18k - in the water, because it is heavy, and is more prone to slipping off. Gravity at work!

    I need to see whether someone is waterproofing the TDI PRO. It would be a gold wrecking machine, if so.

  5. #5
    hottrodder67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pfafftown, NC
    Posts
    1,897
    I wish I could upload some pics of the difference between the 12v versus the 16v. I was testing rings in air only. I understand that the air test is not field test but it would give you a good idea of increase/decrease of depth. I gained 4.5" on a nickel in the air that put it at 17.5 inches. The man's gold band 14k was hitting at 16.5" up from 13.5". I have seen a guy on some forum that built a water proof box and housed his box components inside of it. Not sure it would be great under water but he said he only goes out at the most chest deep.
    Mama said, "Detecting is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get..."

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by hottrodder67 View Post
    I wish I could upload some pics of the difference between the 12v versus the 16v. I was testing rings in air only. I understand that the air test is not field test but it would give you a good idea of increase/decrease of depth. I gained 4.5" on a nickel in the air that put it at 17.5 inches. The man's gold band 14k was hitting at 16.5" up from 13.5". I have seen a guy on some forum that built a water proof box and housed his box components inside of it. Not sure it would be great under water but he said he only goes out at the most chest deep.
    Wow! 17.5 inches! I need to pinch myself. I currently have 54 gold rings that have been piling up. I would have more gold if I could go four inches deeper, and get better depth on all targets. I wonder whether the people at Whites could custom build a submersible machine, with the TDI PRO technology?? Here is a photo of my current crop of 54 gold rings, many which were recovered at significant depth. This is close to 300 grams.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20170918-WA0015.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	110490

  7. #7
    hottrodder67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pfafftown, NC
    Posts
    1,897
    Those are some nice finds! My hopes are to hunt the wash lines in the wet sand and pick up rings that I have been walking over with my V3i. I dig every threshold change now with the V3 so I know the tdi will add a few more inches.
    Mama said, "Detecting is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get..."

  8. #8
    Would like to know where you found a 16 volt battery pak. (Removed Seller Name) is only offering the 14.4 Volt battery pak on ebay.
    Randy
    Last edited by deolslyfox; 09-26-2017 at 08:17 AM.

  9. #9
    rchalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Youngstown, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    6,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Seden1954 View Post
    Would like to know where you found a 16 volt battery pak. Reidman is only offering the 14.4 Volt battery pak on ebay.
    Randy
    I'm not positive but If I'm correct about the LiPo batteries packs made for the TDI SL, they come in three and four cell. A four cell battery provides 16.8 volts at a full charge. Each full charged LiPo cell is 4.2 volts so even a three cell battery pack produces 12.6 volts. I use a three cell (12.6 volt) external battery pack on my V3i. I've modded a TDI Pro with a four cell (5000mAh 4-S/50-C) external battery for a guy. He's never had a problem with it. But honestly, I think that's pushing the machine to its limits. If I owned a TDI, I'd be modding it with an external battery (three cell) too. The battery is lower priced and has what ever mAh battery you want to purchase for it. You can get many more hours of use out of an external battery pack.
    Last edited by rchalker; 09-25-2017 at 02:32 PM.
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300



  10. #10
    KMarhoffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Wooster, Ohio
    Posts
    178
    Wait! You can run a three cell external battery on a V3i and increase depth or am I hearing this wrong? I see we're talking pulse but I see there was a VLF of the V3i make mentioned.

  11. #11
    rchalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Youngstown, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    6,637
    No more depth on the V3i while using a more voltage external battery. Just longer run time and my voltage seldom drops below 11 volts. The V3i has a built in voltage regulator but starts loosing depth around 9 volts.
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300



  12. #12
    KMarhoffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Wooster, Ohio
    Posts
    178
    Did you make your external power supply or is this something you can purchase? I looked on the internet but no info.

  13. #13
    Eastcoastdigs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    NY to MD
    Posts
    656
    Quote Originally Posted by BenjaminE View Post
    How is it working for you, so far?? I go to a beach where I have probably found over 100 rings. Maybe 60-70 are gold. Many are really deep packed underneath interlocking pieces of coral. I detected dry sand at the same beach and never found one single piece of gold, in two years. I know of a fellow who lucked out on a 13 gram gold chain and pendant that had just gotten dropped. I used an old XLT on the dry sand. My theory is that people lose alot of gold - especially 18k - in the water, because it is heavy, and is more prone to slipping off. Gravity at work!

    I need to see whether someone is waterproofing the TDI PRO. It would be a gold wrecking machine, if so.
    You should check with Ikelite. They build all sorts of waterproof housings for divers. Maybe they could build one for the TDI if you inquire as it seems unlikely Whites will come out with a waterproof TDI unit and who knows if they will or can increase the Surfmaster depth.

  14. #14
    hottrodder67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pfafftown, NC
    Posts
    1,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Seden1954 View Post
    Would like to know where you found a 16 volt battery pak. (Removed Seller Name) is only offering the 14.4 Volt battery pak on ebay.
    Randy
    I built my own pack. I looked for a 4 cell and couldn't find one so I made one. I had made a 9 cell for my V3i for longer run times. I wanted to field test the lithium batteries before I went to the trouble to build a mold and pour the battery holder to fit the machine. The depth is definitely there and the run time is outstanding. I started with 16.5 volts and 3 hours later it was at 15.6 volts.
    Mama said, "Detecting is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get..."

  15. #15
    rchalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Youngstown, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    6,637
    Quote Originally Posted by hottrodder67 View Post
    I built my own pack. I looked for a 4 cell and couldn't find one so I made one. I had made a 9 cell for my V3i for longer run times. I wanted to field test the lithium batteries before I went to the trouble to build a mold and pour the battery holder to fit the machine. The depth is definitely there and the run time is outstanding. I started with 16.5 volts and 3 hours later it was at 15.6 volts.
    Wow! You're running four cell Lithium ion on a V3i? That is really something. Sounds like you're pushing to fry it. That regulator on the board has to be getting mighty toasty. I've run my V3i with a three cell LiPo for over five years but I'm only putting 12.6 volts max to it. I use a 3S/20C 5000mAh battery but I'd never push it to a 4S battery. Even the 3S battery provides more voltage than the V3i needs to get maximum depth. I just like the 30 hours useable voltage out of them.
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300



  16. #16
    hottrodder67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pfafftown, NC
    Posts
    1,897
    No, I run a nine cell nihm for the V3i. I run the lithium batteries for my tdi sl.
    Mama said, "Detecting is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get..."

  17. #17
    rchalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Youngstown, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    6,637
    Oh okay! I must of read that too fast.
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300



  18. #18
    rchalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Youngstown, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    6,637
    This thread has run its course and is now closed due to is off the topic.
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in