New dfx and a few issues

Hi guys . Bought my son a new dfx but I'm having trouble with it .I own a v3 so I figured this machine would be a piece of cake ,um not so much .

I bury a penny at 5" and cannot get it . I think part of the problem is the emi in the area we are hunting but I cannot get this dfx to settle down . I even tried correlate with little difference. Imo with preamp gain at 3 and ac at 75 a 5" coin should be easy ,my v3 slams it .

Second problem is that I cannot manually gb I change the course gb number to something I feel is appropriate like 40 for my -93 ground and it does not accept the change . When I go back to course gb setting the previous setting number is there instead of the changed number . The fine number does not have this issue .

And info that might help me deal with emi or allow me to set my course gb manually would be appreciated . I really want my son to like this dfx but so far it's kinda frustrating cheers folks HH
    low and slow is the way to go!

Freshly buried targets are hard to pick up at times. See how it does in an air test.

If youf DFX won't auto-balance that means it can't see enough diff between air and ground. It defaults to a factory preset GB point and tracks from there.

The DFX has a pretty sensitive front end. Drop your PAG to 2. Run in 15Khz single freq mode. That's the least sensitive to EMI.

Let us know if this is helpful.
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

The only thoughts I have is the coil could have an issue. Did you try disconnecting the coil from the box to see if the box quiets up? If you disconnect the coil and still have chatter, then it's a box issue. You should be able to hit on a five inch deep penny. I'm not familiar with the DFX settings but someone will be here soon to help. Good luck.
    Last edited by rchalker; 09-02-2017 at 03:36 PM.
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

Quote Originally Posted by deolslyfox View Post
    Freshly buried targets are hard to pick up at times. See how it does in an air test.

If youf DFX won't auto-balance that means it can't see enough diff between air and ground. It defaults to a factory preset GB point and tracks from there.

The DFX has a pretty sensitive front end. Drop your PAG to 2. Run in 15Khz single freq mode. That's the least sensitive to EMI.

Let us know if this is helpful.
    My dfx autobalances fine but with much trash in the ground I don't trust where it's setting me . I cannot select a course gb number it simply does not save it

I tried pag 2 and 1 and it did not shutt it up I could quiet the machine with pag 2 and ac at 40 but and air depth of about 2"

Quote Originally Posted by rchalker View Post
    The only thoughts I have is the coil could have an issue. Did you try disconnecting the coil from the box to see if the box quiets up? If you disconnect the coil and still have chatter, then it's a box issue. You should be able to hit on a five inch screen penny. I'm not familiar with the DFX settings but someone will be here soon to help. Good luck.
    I have the stock 300mm coil it cane with my 10" dd from my v3 both coils same result and my v operates well with both coils so I don't think it's a coil issue .

I did unplug the coil per your suggestion and it quieted it mostly just the odd beep every few seconds but I'm in the house so the emi atm is rediculus

If you tried different coils and still the same problem. I think you may just have a box issue.

Fox, what do you think?

I called whites we had a convo about the issues I'm having and they suggested I send it in . I will box it up and send it off to the mother ship .

White's will have it working like new in no time. What a super company.

You bet I called and got the answering machine ,left a message and thought I'll just call tomorrow and see if I can get someone live . Within 30 minutes I got a call back . The person on the phone was polite and helpful . A very nice customer service experience thus far. Stuff happens but it's sure nice when the manufacture actually care about your situation

Whites is the Gold Standard for customer support in the industry !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Hi My Fellow TH'ers
    Just wanted you to know that I just had both of my DFX detectors 'Tuned up' at Sweet Home, OR. Both units had similar issues but what amazed me was both had 950 coil issues! Whites replaced both coils. When I called to find out what the issues were with the coils I was informed that these were older coils and inside the coils Whites uses capacitors and both of my coils had several capacitors that had failed. Due to the fact that these were older coils Whites does not do repairs to them. Whites replaced both coils and after the tune up, they are both working like new again. Whites has the best Customer Service in the Industry! I guess the biggest thing is I was not aware of any coil issues. My only notice that there was any issues at all was when I dig targets the item was not in the center of the coil. I assumed I was just sloppy with my pin pointing. Now I know what to watch for. I also have the XLT, which will be the next detector sent in for a tune up sometime later in the year. ;-)

Hey Thing4CSA, good to see you here. Glad to hear you have two like new detectors back. Yep, White's is an awesome company.

Good on ya' !!

Hi guys just thought I'd report back on my dfx . They replace the LCD screen and coil and checked the unit calibrations. On the ground balance part of my issue ...... in multi freq u can only adjust the gb manually in the range of 110 to 150 in most programs. if u go outside of that range it defaults to 135 . In single freq u will have the full range available.

I'm glad to hear the good news. Let us know how your son likes the new machine. I'm sure he will find lots of great targets with it. Good luck and happy hunting.

Thanks . It's working well now and my son loves it. He commented on the sweet sound silver makes on it . Cheers