Thread: Park Detecting

Park Detecting

Hello everyone.
    I have been trying to get information on detecting in my city parks. (Surrey British Columbia) I am getting a lot of mixed messages. Some say yes no problems others say no way. I was confronted by a security guard who told me that I could not detect in the park but yet other detectors have said they go there all the time. I do not use a shovel but a screw driver and knife only. There are no plugs to replace. Does anyone have a definitive answer to this problem? Thanks in advance.

Local rules apply .... If you ask and they say "NO", you're done. If you don't ask and they tell you to quit, don't argue. If you don't ask and they give you a ticket or worse, you might be in the "I shoulda asked" crowd ...

Personally, I always check the local rules. You can find a set of park regs somewhere. Its what's written that counts. If it says "no digging / detecting", that's your answer. If you don't see anything in the regs about it, keep a copy with you. If you are confronted, ask politely WHICH rule written WHERE says "NO". The "guards" don't get to make rules up on the fly. If the guard insists, you can show him your copy of the regs and ask politely for "guidance". If he can't show you anything, tell him to "have a nice day".

That's been my experience(s) over the years, and I've managed to hunt a lot of places that "myth, lore and legend", along with the odd "official" said were "off limits".

Hope this is helpful. Good luck !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

I do not know how it works in BC...but here in Washington state each city has regulations for the city, and parks a recreation has their rules...I first find out who controls the park and see if their are any regulations on the park if not then I check to make sure the city does not have any regulations....Best I can Do for ya, sorry not much advise but everywhere is different....
    Just Swing and Dig......(einfach Zu schwingen und graben......)

I smell a keg of worms opening
    If the bass ain't biting, I'm scratchin for silver

It ain''t ALL bad. Park regulations here are bad but at least they do allow detecting, if only with a probe and screwdriver after getting a permit. BUT, a lady called the park dept about finding an earring and the dept referred her to me. As soon as it rains I'll be doing that. The lady asked me about payment and I told her to see if she could find another place for me to detect. That would be more than enough payment.
    Last edited by deolslyfox; 07-22-2017 at 05:11 AM.
    One Man's Trash...........is What I usually Find.

XP Deus / CTX 3030

Where are the diamond rings?.............They said there'd be diamond rings !

Thanks deolslyfox. I have checked the regs. for provincial and regional parks and you have to get permission for the provincial but no detecting in the regional parks. City seems to be a grey area here. I will keep digging for an answer.

Thanks Darwin. Can I detect in Washington State if I live in Canada?

HAHAHAHA. Nice one bassplugger. I know this is a touchy subject but I don't want to get in trouble here. I will be careful and courteous.

Thanks for the reply joe dirt. I like your method of digging and looks like it might pay off in the long run.

i did not even notice your user name till I just read your last post-- (I know it sounds like a lie)--I just remember from years back this has been a "touchy" subject for some guys, some say don't ask and hunt anyway, others say check the rules first, I can see both sides--good luck
    If the bass ain't biting, I'm scratchin for silver

Quote Originally Posted by Redwiggler View Post
    Thanks Darwin. Can I detect in Washington State if I live in Canada?
    Yep, If you get to my corner of the woods chat me up......
    Just Swing and Dig......(einfach Zu schwingen und graben......)

Even down here in the US it can be confusing state to state. In New York I found in the past that city parks, fairgrounds, etc. (common areas) are OK. In Maryland, you need to get permission to detect a sidewalk grass strip. I have always erred on the side of caution and asked a local "official" (and recorded the name and date) or checked any regulations to be on the safe side. If I get a one-off "no" from a self-appointed official, I do more research. Don't want to loose my detector.