Batteries overheating

Turned on my TRX during yesterday's hunt. Iv'e hunted a couple of times with these batteries, with no problems. After a couple of targets, I noticed the pinpointer making a two tone non stop sound. It wouldn't stop until I turned it off. As soon as I turned it back on, the two tone started again. Took battery pack out and batteries so hot it burned my hand. I waited until the batteries cooled down. I decided to try batteries again since I was beating the bush and near no store to purchase new ones. Upon placing cooled down batteries in pinpointer, it worked with no problems other than about an inch loss of depth. Any ideas? I've had the pinpointer for about 2 months now, ran 4 changes of batteries thru it including using it submerged in 2 feet of water, with no problems. I only use energizer alkaline batteries thru it, no other brand.

That's something I've never heard of before. If it does that again I wouldn't hesitate to calling White's to get a new one. It might even be wise to call them now to see if they want to do something about it now. That could be very dangerous. Good luck.
    AKA: Rodney _______ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

New one on me !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

I just read where G408 had the same problem posted on 8/23/15. Found the thread by posting search on google. Didn't see where he was able to resolve it. I'm going to try new batteries in it tomorrow. I hope I can restore the depth I lost. I will.also give Whites a call.