Headphone Volume

I just got a MX Sport and with the land headphone adapter, I tried both sets of headphones that I use. They are original Ratphones and a set called Liberty phones. I got very little volume out of the Ratphones, hardly loud enough to use. The Liberty phones were better, but the volume was not where they were with my V3i. Has anyone else had this issue with the MX Sport? I would guess something to do with impedence or Ohms, but not really a person who understands electronics. Any advice will be appreciated.

You're in luck !! I happen to have a couple sets of original RATs. I tried 'em on the MX Sport and noticed that the volume is indeed diminished when compared to the Whites ProStars .... In fact, with the ProStars, I have to drop the volume from the point that I would run with the RATs.

I expect that it is indeed an impedance issue. I think this is a case of the detector / accessory line being designed to provide optimum performance. I say that, because the RATs work fine with all my other Whites units - IDX / XLT / M6 / MXT / DFX / VX3 / V3i, etc

Treat yourself to a new set of ProStars. I think you'll like them as well, if not more than the RATs !!

Hope this is helpful.
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

I would assume this is the same reason that my Rattler single-sided Headset is not loud even when the Sport is set at Max of 30. I prefer the single sided headset so I can listen to what is going on around me. If this is the best it will do, I will have to look at changing. Anything else that could be done to make this work? Thanks!

Welcome to the forum dsdigger.
    AKA: Rodney ________ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

Thanks for the welcome! Glad to be here and looks like this is the place to find some answers to questions I have on my MX Sport. I do have a question about headsets and compatibility, has anyone found a set or know of a single-sided headset that will work with the MX Sport, Does Whites have one that I have not seen?

My R.A.T phones seem to work ok on the MX Sport .... With Threshold on 2 and Audio Volume at 30.

The MX Sport has a sophisticated audio system so that it can drive both the metal peso (steel speaker) water proof headphones, as well as the traditional cone speaker type headphones. It matches the audio level output to the load (demand) it can see in the headphones. Unfortunately, some non-White's headphones show the MX Sport reduced load compared to the White's brand headphones. Thus, less load = less audio output.

White's did not plan for this, simply always try to make the best performance, however, White's brand, or Grey Ghost brand headphones, are going to work the best (normal audio levels) with the MX Sport. Perhaps other brands as well, however, thus far, the Grey Ghosts are the only non-White's I have see that work at full audio.

Howard
    Last edited by showard; 03-23-2017 at 07:54 AM.

Thanks for the info Howard...
    Just Swing and Dig......(einfach Zu schwingen und graben......)

Thanks Howard !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Wish I would have read back on this a few weeks ago!! I ordered a set Sunray Pro Gold headphones as I really liked how they sounded and felt on a friends CTX3030. Imagine my disappointment after dropping $130 and I could barely hear them!! Thankfully, Bart allowed me to return them and I just ordered a set of Pro Stars. I haven't had much opportunity to pass judgement on the Pro Stars, but they DEFINITELY had volume!!

Mike the Pro Star headphones are very good and have great sound quality. You should be happy with them. Good luck and happy hunting.
    AKA: Rodney ________ Detectors Used:
    ___________________White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    ___________________White's TreasurePro
    ___________________Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300