NY State metal detecting rules

Is there a post about state rules? I don't see any. I am fairly new to metal detecting and am wondering where it is legal/illegal to use a metal detector. So far I have only used it on a beach when on vacation, but I would like to use it around where I live (Hudson Falls, NY/Lake George region).
    If at first you don't succeed, ask your wife how you should have done it.

Welcome !! Some of our New York members can help you out. Sandals, one of our Moderators is in New York. She can point you in the right direction for sure !!

Good luck !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Welcome to the forum. Any public park, school grounds, some camp grounds, and in your area, I would door knock at the old farms and see if they will let you detect their farm fields. Lots of action near Lake George area. Good luck and happy hunting.

Welcome Aboard
    "Learning is the eye of the mind."
    Thomas drake 1633

Thank you for the responses

Welcome to the forum. Happy hunting!
    AKA: Rodney
    Detectors Used:
    White's Spectra V3i with DX-1
    White's TreasurePro
    Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

Hi there!.....I do live in NY but on Long Island.....the rules for our area: any state park/beach you must have a state permit ($40), Suffolk County a green key and county pass (not sure of fees), towns have their own restrictions, City has a permit also that is free.....as for your area, I am not familiar with the rules and regulations but Whammy I think lives up that way....good luck and happy hunting
    *************************** To errr is human.....To arrr is Pirate **************************

W.Va born & raised,now upstate Ny I stays
    Welcome to the forum...
    Seems that I'm just south of ya here in south Colonie.

I see your post is a few weeks old. You may have already found the info you need, but I thought I would make an attempt to help a fellow MDer out just in case ya didn't come across anything yet.

Just a Google search of NY state metal detecting laws will bring up a few options. One page that I find has a lot of info on NY state MD laws is (WWW.mdhtalk.org) once at home page click metal detecting laws. All kinds of state regs on mding in NY state cities, counties and state park regulations. Also info on the 1906 antiquities act and the 1979 archaeological protection act, which I personally find some of it to be a bit over the top but still interesting.

I feel that a responsible, ethical detectorist should have at least a basic knowledge of laws/regulations that is set within their state. It could keep a feller from getting into trouble.

Hope this will be of some assistance to ya.
    Good luck with the research and good luck out & about............................................. ...
    Back down in the dirt, it's
    where I'm supposed to be
    and it's getting good to me

Welcome to the forum and good hunting in NY.

Welcome to the forum, Happy Hunting
    Just Swing and Dig......(einfach Zu schwingen und graben......)

I realize this thread is a few weeks old, but wanted to add my input:

1) Do not confuse anything you might find on state level, with necessarily applying to other forms of public land in your state. Eg.: city, county, or federal. Something you might read on the FMDAC state-by-state list, or the link that SteveO gives, would only apply to state parks. And not necessarily other forms of state land either. Only their state PARKS.

2) And I have my doubts about some of the info that got gathered into these cutesy listings decades ago. On the surface, it was a genius idea to compile a state-by-state list, so that persons could travel and not have to worry or be bothered, right ? And so an early example attempt, was R.W. "Doc" Grim's book, for instance (early 1980s?). And the way he put his book together (of which other subsequent lists on the net just gleaned from his work, or used his same methods), was simple: He asked. Sounds logical enough, right ? I mean, who better to ask afterall, than the states themselves, eh ?

He sent out 50 xeroxed form letters, to the state capitol in all 50 states. To whomever it was at their state park's liaison desk pencil pusher type who would field the question. It asked "what are the rules/laws that apply to the use of metal detectors in your state's parks?". And then R.W. merely sat back, and waited for the 50 replies to enter his mail box. Then assembled them in alphabetic order, complete with state letterhead (so you'd have it on good authority to show any busy-bodies). A genius idea, right ?

Anyone care to guess what happened next ? Strangely, some of the states, that had never been a problem or issue before (barring obvious historic monuments) got dire sounding wording, if not out-right no's. Oh sure, in a few cases they could point to actual chapter and verse of something that actually did say "no metal detecting". But in other cases, a "no" might be given, and when you went to look at the type verbage they were citing, it would be grey area catch-all stuff about cultural heritage. Or alter and disturb. Or take and remove verbage, etc... Clearly many cases of "no one caring TILL you asked". Ie.: the "safe answer" type answers. And you had guys in many of those state's scratching their heads saying "since when?" . See how worked ?

Hence to this day, I have my doubts about some of those lists. Like on the CA column for instance, it has a "yes", but then says "with permission". Hmm, nowhere is that found in actual law/rules. It was commentary from whomever was fielding the question. About verbage relating to alter, disturb,.... So for example, you can md the state of CA beaches here till you're blue in the face, and never be bothered. And no .... no one asks or seeks permission. They just always-ever have been detected, since the dawn of detectors. But in a strict reading of that FMDAC list, you might be concluding otherwise. And you'd perhaps show up at some park kiosk (as directed by the list) asking permission. Then lo & behold your question might go up the chain of command, and end up on a purist archie's desk, and then guess what will happen ?