White's Featured Customer Stories
V3i Does It Again!! MY TRUSTY XLT - COMES THRU AT THE END DIV XXVIII  Civil War Gold Civil War Sword Handguard With My Prizm IV RARE BASEBALL SILVER FIND

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TRX Field Test Quick Look Report + Final Test Report

Detectors
    V3i / VX3 / DFX / MXT Pro / M6 / 6T / CM GT / XLT / BH 300 / SURF PI DF / 6000D S2

TRX Field Test Quick Look Report + Final Test Report

Finished up the pre-production unit TRX "quick look" field test today .... The pre-production unit actually exceeds the results I achieved during prototype testing !!

Long story short on depth:
    Pennies: 4"
    Dimes: 4"
    Nickles: 4.5"
    Quarters: 5"
    Large gold ring: 5"
    Medium gold wedding band: 4"

The TRX will outpace any other hand-held unit I've tried, and believe me, I've tried most all of 'em. On a good day, under the right conditions, I'd say that TRX will keep up with the DX-1 in-line in terms of depth.

White's has hit a "Home Run" with TRX.

Units are shipping "as we speak". Your dealer may already have 'em in stock.

I'm gonna do a more thorough test under different conditions, just like TRX was a detector. As always, I'll post what I find / learn here ....

You NEED one of these !!

Hope this is helpful.

****************** FINAL TEST REPORT WITH FULL RATE PRODUCTION UNIT ***********************

Long story short:
    I didn't see any drastic differences between the pre-prod and FRP units. Both provided excellent depth as previously reported. If anything, the FRP unit seemed a bit more stable.

I checked all functions and they "work as advertised" in the Owner's Guide. Here's a couple of tidbits you may or may not find useful, and of course will vary with different users ....

1. Lost pinpointer audio: If lost with "speaker up" I could hear the beep at a measured 20 feet. Actually a bit more, but I want to err on the side of safety. (Note: I have a 10 - 15% hearing loss in both ears). If lost with the "speaker down", I could hear the audio at a measured 14 feet. There was a light breeze at the time, and I obviously had my headphones off.

2. Best depth: I found that if I just tap the button (ground grab) before I start the pinpoint process I get the best depth.

3. Target in side of hole: If you move the TRX up and down the side of the hole and your target is there, you'll hear a tone, then silence, then a tone. Start at the top of the hole and work down. First hit = tip of the pinpointer. Then a dead spot. Then tone again. This is both a "side of the hole" indicator and helps locate the target. The target is adjacent to either the first hit (tip of the probe) or adjacent to the "dead spot" midway of the coil.

4. Only used factory default sensitivity (3): There are some posts discussing an "undocumented feature" of the TRX that lets you select various sensitivity settings between 1 and 4. As a rule of thumb, 2 = what you'd expect from other popular brands. 4 gives a bit (1/2") more depth, but makes the unit a bit chatty for my liking.
    All the depth data noted in this report is at sensitivity setting = 3. I would say that on average, taking into account different soil types, target sizes, how long the target has been buried, etc, that a TRX user can expect a minimum of 3" depth across the spectrum of "normal targets" including rings, coins, tabs, tops, etc.

5. Batteries: I didn't see any difference in depth / stability / audio / vibration between a fresh set of AA's or a fresh 9V. I expect that a 9V would provide a bit more run time, but with an expected life of 20 hours, either will suit me just fine. I'll stick with the AA's simply because I carry spare AA's for my detectors "just in case", and that means that I only have to worry about one set / type of spares.End Of The Day: TRX is an absolutely solid handheld pinpointer that exceeds the depth of anything else on the market, at least that the half-dozen or so most popular units that I'm aware of.

I can't find any faults or deficiencies with TRX. I highly recommend it !!

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited by deolslyfox; 03-13-2014 at 02:38 PM.
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Platinum Member
    Detectors
    SPECTRA V3i / BH300
    Thanks for checkin' it out and postin' it up....need to get one pretty quick!
    Spectra V3i
    BHID 300

Detectors
    V3i (SpectraSound) / MXT- Pro / IDX Pro - DX-1 / Bullseye II - Bullseye TRX Pinpointer
    Thanks FoX, for the TRX Field Test Quick Look Report

Yep, I totally agree ... This new pinpointer is awesome .. My first hunt with it last weekend was remarkable .. I was getting pinpointer hits on pennies from 5 to 5 1/2 inches deep ... In wet grassy soil, new factory supplied AA batteries ... My very first deep coin was an old crusty zircon. I located it with the TRX, then pushed my pointed screwdriver prob down and touched the coin ... I marked the spot with my thumb, removed the tool and measured it against the TRX scale ... It was five inches deep and that is amazing ... During my next outing, I repeated the process by pinpointing a Valadium class ring at 4 1/2 inches deep, in partially frozen ground, with no problems ... It does everything I would expect from the best pinpointer on the market today ...... Congratulations White's Electronics ... Your newest addition to the White's accessory lineup is a Winner, that's for sure ... JMHO ... It gets a Good luck and happy pinpointing out there ..
    Last edited by IDXit; 02-24-2014 at 08:14 PM.
    V3i - MXT Pro - IDX Pro - 2014

$ - 16
    H - 2
    Q - 622
    D - 906
    N - 372 (9 %)
    P - 2385
    CC - 4305
    Total$ - 305.53
    Rings - 84
    (Silver) - 17
    (Gold) - 5
    (Tungsten) - 0
    Oldest Coin - 1892 IH Cent
    1923 Liberty Peace Silver Dollar - 1858..1958 Canadian Commemorative Silver Dollar
    Silver Coins - 1 - ..... " You Just Never Know What Will Turn Up Next...or...From Where " ....

Silver Member
    Detectors
    IDX Pro 950 black max and Garret pro pointer.
    I knew I should have waited, that's what I get fer being impatient
    David

Detectors
    DFX300 with the 12'' coil, 9.5 coil, 6x10 coil, 4x6 shooter coil, and the Sun Ray DX-1 probe, Lesche Digging Tool.
    Sounds like Whites has hit a home run...
    I would rather be lucky then good....

1st Cor. Chapter 13

Horse Sense Is The Result Of Stable Thinking

Jim

Detectors
    V3i / VX3 / DFX / MXT Pro / M6 / 6T / CM GT / XLT / BH 300 / SURF PI DF / 6000D S2
    I put on a demo of TRX for our detector club this meeting. There were about 50 members present. After the demo I passed the unit around so that those who wanted to could "feel / touch / try" TRX. Every comment was positive. Several owners of "other brands" commented that TRX would definitely out-perform their pinpointer ....

I think that TRX is going to be one of those units that just "sells itself" ....

I'll post up final field test reports when I get done. We're gettin' rained on right now, and its a busy week.

You really should take a hard look at a TRX, regardless of what you're using now .... I honestly think you'll be pleasantly surprised !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Detectors
    WHITES V3
    Its looking good fox, Just great that we have another winner from Whites.

Regards Pinpointa.

deolslyfox,

Would you mind testing the distances when the TRX has been detuned?

Thanks,

Joe

Detectors
    V3i, M6, Garrett pro-pointer, Bullseye II, Lesche Digger, 9.5 Coil, White's Eclipse Shooter DD4 x 6", DD Eclipse 6x10", Koss Noise Reduction Headphones

Thumbs up Pinpointer

Looking for reviews on TRX

Detectors
    V3i,VX3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G,Coinmaster Pro and BH300
    Haven't arrived at the distributors yet. Give them a week. The dealers will get them out to their customers once they get them.

Detectors
    Whites V3, Whites DFX, Whites MXT, Minelab E-Trac, JeTco GTX Huntmaster
    Looking forward to your continued reports on the TRX Fox. Thanks!

Detectors
    Fox has some early field reports going in the Accessories area...

http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/...ck-Look-Report

I have done a lot of testing with the unit, and several hunts, but wanted to wait for my production release to submit a detailed report. The ground has finally thawed out for me, so life is good!
    Last edited by CyberSage; 02-25-2014 at 05:19 AM.

Detectors
    Spectra V3i, wireless headphones, 10DD coil, 6x10, 4x6 shooter Prizm IV, 950 coil, 8" coil Bullseye pin pointer, ProPointer, TRX
    It sounds like it was worth the wait! I'm gonna order mine this week.

Detectors
    Looking forward to your field reports Jack !! Thanks !! Fox

I merged the posts to keep all the field test info in one spot ....
    Last edited by deolslyfox; 02-25-2014 at 05:56 AM.

Detectors
    Whites Silver Eagle / Whites Eagle II SL / Whites 6000D/ Fisher F2 / BH Landstar COILS: Blue Max Maxima 1500, Several Blue Max 950s, Black Max 5.3, BIGFOOT 18", 8" BH and Fisher coils, and a 4" BH Gold Nugget PINPOINTER: Minelab Pro-Find 25
    Quote Originally Posted by deolslyfox View Post
    Finished up the production unit TRX "quick look" field test today .... The production unit actually exceeds the results I achieved during prototype testing !!

Long story short on depth:
    Pennies: 4"
    Dimes: 4"
    Nickles: 4.5"
    Quarters: 5"
    Large gold ring: 5"
    Medium gold wedding band: 4"

The TRX will outpace any other hand-held unit I've tried, and believe me, I've tried most all of 'em. On a good day, under the right conditions, I'd say that TRX will keep up with the DX-1 in-line in terms of depth.

White's has hit a "Home Run" with TRX.

Units are shipping "as we speak". Your dealer may already have 'em in stock.

I'm gonna do a more thorough test under different conditions, just like TRX was a detector. As always, I'll post what I find / learn here ....

You NEED one of these !!

Hope this is helpful.
    I love using my Pro-Find to exactly pinpoint BEFORE I dig and it sounds like the TRX would allow me to get even more depth for sure.
    My question is that with past pinpointers available like the Pistol Probe, you could get great depth but at the expense of being able to pinpoint accurately when up close to the coin unless you detune.
    If it was in the side of the hole, you might still think it was further down, etc.
    Is the ratcheting on the TRX wide enough to allow you to tell the difference from a coin in the side of the hole and a coin in the bottom?
    Is there a sensitivity adjustment like on the Pro-Find, or don't you need it?
    Is the detection range more targeted to the tip, or is it all-around the shaft like the Garrett?

Detectors
    V3i w/SpectraSound Wireless CMPro Garrett ProPointw/Sidekick
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryInOhio View Post
    My question is that with past pinpointers available like the Pistol Probe, you could get great depth but at the expense of being able to pinpoint accurately when up close to the coin unless you detune.
    If it was in the side of the hole, you might still think it was further down, etc.
    Is the ratcheting on the TRX wide enough to allow you to tell the difference from a coin in the side of the hole and a coin in the bottom?
    Is there a sensitivity adjustment like on the Pro-Find, or don't you need it?
    Is the detection range more targeted to the tip, or is it all-around the shaft like the Garrett?
    In addition I'm wondering about the details regarding the auto power off - time before shut off etc.

Detectors
    Coinmaster GT, TRX pin pointer, 4x6 shooter,NEL Hunter and DIY FM wireless head phone connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by smittyman View Post
    In addition I'm wondering about the details regarding the auto power off - time before shut off etc.
    Most of the questions about operation can be answered with a quick read of the manual
    http://www.whiteselectronics.com/med...manual_web.pdf

Detectors
    There is some "side sensitivity" with the TRX. That's inherent to the design. However, it is most sensitive at the tip.

Timeout to shut-down is about ten minutes.

I find the accuracy to be excellent on coin and ring sized targets.

Hope this is helpful ....
    Last edited by deolslyfox; 02-25-2014 at 03:59 PM.

Detectors
    Thanks for the response guys! I followed the link to the manual and that was helpful but I still don't understand whats meant by "ratcheting" - does this mean that you can "turn it down" so that it doesn't see targets as far out. While I really like the increased penetration my concern is that if it's seeing the farther targets it's really not pinpointing as closely as if it was in the 2" range. I guess what I'm asking is does ratcheting mean that you can reduce range from the stated 4"-5" down to somewhere in the 2" range. Thanks!

Detectors
    Prizms, Spectra V3/i
    Ratcheting is like you'd do on a detector. The button is your trigger. If you have too wide a range on your target, a quick press will set the new threshold level.
    Last edited by ak_1234; 02-27-2014 at 09:53 AM.

Detectors
    DFX, Golden uMax, Eldorado, Troy X5
    Thanks for the information. No question I'll buy one as soon as the local shop has them in stock.
    Bruce
    BW

Detectors
    "Ratcheting" is the detuning of your unit so that sensitivity is decreased, and the pinpoint area becomes smaller. This aids in more accurate pinpointing. Look up "Ratchet Pinpoint" in your V3i manual. Its about page 37 ...

Detectors
    Well my dealer here in the "Colonies" of the East has informed me that their supplier, who is nearly fifty miles away, won't have them until mid-March, sadly I have a hunt before that time so I don't need to rush to get my backorder in. And by the time the snow melts off locally it may be mid-May. Plenty of time, ah well...
    Bruce
    BW

Detectors
    Coinmaster GT, TRX pin pointer, 4x6 shooter,NEL Hunter and DIY FM wireless head phone connection.
    BW, I can not post links to suppliers but I will pm you with where I purchased mine, it just shipped today from FL.

Detectors
    Quote Originally Posted by Airscapes View Post
    BW, I can not post links to suppliers but I will pm you with where I purchased mine, it just shipped today from FL.
    Thanks, info received.
    Bruce
    BW

Detectors
    Whites 6000/Di Garrett Grand Master Hunter
    Mine is on the way and I am stoked!

Detectors
    Thanks y'all!

Detectors
    V3I, DFX with DX1 (10DD , 4x6dd, 9.5, super12) Sony MDR V-600 Headphones
    The TRX is a very nice pinpointer great depth very functional, one thing and maybe it just the one I have is the led seems weak compared to the other brand pinpointers I own is this the norm? The TRX is now the go to unit for me, it will get a very hard workout on an older golf coarse in the rain today.

Detectors
    Got mine ordered today. Thanks Airscapes!
    Bruce
    BW

Detectors
    Your welcome! Mine is on I-95 someplace.. hope it gets to the Philadelphia before the snow arrives!

Detectors
    Whites 5900/Di Pro Sl, M6, Spectra V3i
    The ironic thing is that one of the very first thing we are advised to turn off in pinpoint with the V3i is ratchet. Just sayin.

Detectors
    Prizms, Spectra V3/i
    That's auto ratchet you turn off on the v. You can still manually ratchet and this is exactly what the TRX allows without having to turn it off then on like the propointer. There is no auto ratchet on the TRX.

Detectors
    Spectra V3i, wireless headphones, 10DD coil, 6x10, 4x6 shooter Prizm IV, 950 coil, 8" coil Bullseye pin pointer, ProPointer, TRX
    Just got back from a two hour hunt in the woods. I took both my new TRX, and my old GPP.
    Just about every target that was less than 3 1/2" deep on my V3i display, I was able to Pinpoint exactly with the TRX without breaking ground. It even pinpointed a CW bullet at 4" deep, dead center!
    I always tried to repeat the pinpointing with the GPP, but it just couldn't keep up with the TRX. Seems like I was limited to about 2" depth, maybe a touch more on big targets. In all fairness though, my GPP is pretty old and has been acting up at times.
    The TRX scores an A+ with me!

It will be interesting to hear what others find in their comparisons.

Detectors
    V3I, DFX with DX1 (10DD , 4x6dd, 9.5, super12) Sony MDR V-600 Headphones
    Two thumbs up for the TRX.
    4 hours of hard use and it worked flawlessly, I did although have a little trouble getting used to the increased depth, na just kidding the unit works as advertised.

I do believe a new standard has been set for pinpointers, Whites I tip my hat, thanks.

Platinum Member VWandSTUDEBAKER's Avatar
    Detectors
    Coinmaster 4000/D Series 2 5900/Di Pro SL, Surfmaster PI, Beach Hunter ID, Vision with V3International upgrade. I have stock 10DD, 6x10, 4x6 DD, Super 12 coils. Whites TRX pin pointer.
    I too spent a couple hours with the TRX. I put it up against the GPP and one thing for sure, the TRX is a LOT more powerful. I had to make sure my Lesche and even the V3i was far enough away. I did have some falseing problems that I need to tinker with before I can comment on that part of it.

One thing I am not sure about is having to ground balance.
    V3I-nternational

One mans trash is another mans treasure.....oh so true
    The computer is only as smart as its programmer
    Whites users, Where are you located http://www.mapservices.org/myguestmap/map/1963stude

Detectors
    V3i
    Today I used my TRX the first time and it was very easy and I think it saved some time in finding targets (though I dug everything today and it was old trash including two very old hubcaps - Plymouth and Dodge). I liked being able to exactly mark some targets before digging. The rachet was an easy fast click. The off beep is high pitched and easy to hear through my quiet headset. I'm quite happy with mine.
    Last edited by Win; 03-01-2014 at 08:11 PM. Reason: clarity

Detectors
    Here is a very interesting post from another forum. I do not have my TRX to test this but here it is just incase you are not all following all the TRX threads..

User name that posted was ak_1234 not a regular at that forum he was listed with 3 posts...

There is a sensitivity control on the TRX. Here are the general settings for sensitivity - the default is 3. Intended to be about 3.5". Sensitivity 1 = Bullseye II depth (about 1"), sensitivity 2 = Green pinpointer depth (about 2"), sensitivity 4 = around 4-4.5" - and it is likely to false on this setting, but some areas may be able to use it. It's not in the manual obviously. But here is how to get there:
    First option:
    1) Go into config (press and hold the button through the power down beep until you get to the taDAH beep for config).
    2) Release and repress the button. Hold the button for 5 seconds. The indicators will indicate your sensitivity setting. The first set of beeps will indicate your current sensitivity setting (you should hear 3 beeps for the default sensitivity being 3). The next set of beeps will be the next one (4 beeps for sens 4), the next will be the next one (wrap around to 1 beep for sens 1). Release the button at the sensitivity level you want to be at. Might help you out in the tot lots.

-OR-

If you find yourself wanting to change sensitivity more than once and you want it on the "main menu" without that 5 second delay, there is a test mode which all it does is move the "menus" around.
    1) Go to config mode
    2) Release the button and then press and release 3 times.
    3) Wait for config exit - you should get a dadadaDAH jingle.
    Now your menus are switched around unless you do a factory reset (more later)
    4) Go to config mode
    5) Keep holding the button down - the sensitivity is the first menu rather than the indicators. release the button when you get to the sensitivity you want.

In this mode, the first menu is sensitivity. 2nd menu (release button after config and press and hold) is the indicator adjust. 3rd menu (release button after config, press and release once and press and hold) is audio adjust. This adjusts the frequency of your audio - so if you hear a lower frequency better than the one that the pinpointer is set to, you can find one that might be better. It has a very limited range, so it's possible that there won't be any difference.

If you want to put it back to the menu system that it came with, you can do a factory reset. This will reset everything - except the audio frequency - back to how it came from the factory. Go to config, release and press the button 6 times.
    Last edited by deolslyfox; 03-04-2014 at 04:04 PM.

Detectors
    I didn't realize you could change sensitivity settings like that, but I think I'll keep it right where it is.
    Seems darn near perfect already.

Detectors
    Default = 3, which exceeds the depth of all other handhelds tested is a very stable setting .... 4 can get a bit chatty.

I recommend leaving this "undocumented feature" at the factory default.

Detectors
    I agree 4 is just a bit to much, but it's a great addition by the White's Engineering team. I think the setting of two is about equal to the sensitivity of the competitors pinpointer. I just received my release version today. Looking forward to using in the field. Thanks for the great info, and insight Fox.