White's Featured Customer Stories
gold, silver and silver coin finds Coinmaster does it again! Early Massachusetts Militia button MXT Comes Through Again McClellan VS. Lincoln

Thread: New 5.3 Eclipse Coil

Detectors
    Whites owned Modded IDX Pro, M6, XLT Rainbow, DFX, and V3i. Without mentioning any brands, just about every other detector made in the last 16 years

New 5.3 Eclipse Coil

I just got a used 5.3 coil for my V3i and took it for a test run this am. I have tried many small coils on the various detectors I have owned over the years and some were good and some not so good. On a couple of detector with a display and tones, the small coil would not have the same numbers and tones as the stock coil. I have never had this happen on any Whites detector I have owned so when I hooked the 5.3 on my V3i, it had identical tones and numbers. I went to a spot where there are silver and wheats mixed in with recent clad at shallow depths. After a short time of getting use to the light weight and small profile, the coins started popping. The first four coins were numbers in the high 60's - low 70's and as expected, they were copper memorials from 2 to 3 inches. The fifth target was between 78-81 and showed about 5 inches deep on the gauge. I have only found a couple of wheats in this depth range in previous hunts and guessed this coin would be a clad dime. I was more than happy to see a silver dime come to light. It was a 1946 roosie. Dead on numbers and tones. I have tried the 4x6 dd coil on my old DFX, but always preferred the slightly bigger 5.3 and it's ability to correctly ID newer trash. It is the perfect coil for the V3i. I did an unscientific test before I started hunting concerning recovery delay. I laid a nickel, clad dime, clad quarter on the ground with about 4 inches separating them. I used my usual slow sweep speed and adjusted the recovery until the signal hit as the center of the coil passed over each coin. Too low of a number and the target was way behind the signal. I settled on a setting of 48 and had absolutely no problem with depth or lag. I am by no means an expert with the V3i, but after reading hundreds of posts, I am gaining a high degree of respect for what it is capable of doing. After several hours of using the small coil, I still had some energy left so I put the stock coil back on and headed for the oldest part of the fairgrounds. I went to the exact spot where I had found many Indians Heads with my DFX and decided to try another experiment. There is little emi in this spot and there is not too much modern trash. Using my modified "high pro" program I turned the gain from 11 to 8 and turned on the boost. I went less than four feet and got a signal in the 50's that bounced all over the place. I have found at least 15 Indian Heads within ten feet of this spot and I have used EVERY big buck detectors since trying to find "one more" Indian. When I dug this target, I found a small piece of copper wire first. I had a feeling that there was something else close by and I rechecked the hole with my pinpointer and got another target slightly deeper. From 7 inches comes a green coin. Amazing, it was an Indian. I am still learning this detector and I seem to find good things almost every time out. PS, I did not find any more older coins while hunting in boost, but I did find many more clad coins. I was certain there was not much left, but I was wrong. R.L.

Detectors
    V3i with 4x6, 6x10, 10D2, 950, 15x12, Super12, Sunray DX-1 probe and the DFX300
    I love the 5.3! It has produced almost 20 silvers for me in the last month and a half from areas I have worked before (they are really trashy). I know a lot of folks like the 6x10 coil, but I would chose this one hands down! The 4x6 works good as well. I think IMHO the 5.3 works a little better than the 4x6. Good luck with yours!
    Mama said, "Detecting is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get..."

Detectors
    V3i / VX3 / DFX / MXT Pro / M6 / 6T / CM GT / XLT / BH 300 / SURF PI DF / IDX Pro / 6000D S2
    You never fully "clean a place out" .... Good hit on the Indian !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Detectors
    VX3 w/950 coil,6x10 coil,4x6coil,Prizm 5G, Bullseye II
    Good going on finding thr IHP

Detectors
    V3i, DFX, M6 - Coils: Super 12, 10DD, 950, 6X10DD, 4X6DD, 10X12SEF, 6"DD --- Garrett Pro Pinpointer, SpectraSound & Whites/Koss Phones, Lesche Digger
    Thanks for the write-up R.L. Been hearing great things about that 5.3 coil from you and hotrodder. Sounds like you got a good handle on your V3i, nice finds.

Detectors
    Whites 5900/Di Pro Sl, M6, Spectra V3i
    Quote Originally Posted by hottrodder67 View Post
    I love the 5.3! It has produced almost 20 silvers for me in the last month and a half from areas I have worked before (they are really trashy). I know a lot of folks like the 6x10 coil, but I would chose this one hands down! The 4x6 works good as well. I think IMHO the 5.3 works a little better than the 4x6. Good luck with yours!
    There you go, you did it...I've gotta wrangle for a 5.3" Eclipse now. I have had an interest in that coil for a while anyway. martin

Platinum Member
    Detectors
    SPECTRA V3i / BH300
    Used the 5.3 for years....really like it....works well in my area!! gl and hh
    Spectra V3i
    BHID 300

Detectors
    V3i,AT-Pro
    4x6 for me! Just got it and it works great I am finding coins I know I went over in heavy trash and at 7 inches one silver so far with it.
    My buddy has the 5.3 and loves his and it works great and it is what you are comfortable with and you got to have confidence i think in what ever you are using.
    Kinda like fishing

Detectors
    Whites GMT with the 6x10dd coil,, Whites DFX, W/950, 6x10dd, 4x6dd,super 12 coils. DX-1 and 120 Bullseye pinpointer,, Sun Ray Pro Gold Headphones..... M6 is gone, But not forgotton"
    Good to hear the 5.3 works good for you..
    Ineptocracy [in-ep-toc'-ra-cy] - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers. There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

FNH FNX 40

Detectors
    White's V3i - 10DD, Super 12, Eclipse 9.5 and 5.3, BullseyeII. Garrett Pro Pointer.
    My favorite coil for drive ins or anywhere the pull tabs are thick!!!
    PEACE
    Finds Not only have I taken the time to double check, bend down, pinpoint, dig and pick it up- you want me to list it too? A zincoln just ain't worth any more effort!

Bronze Member
    after reading the post on the 5.3 i decided to dig it out of the pile and go out this morning for a quick visit to the elementary school ball field . i only hunted an hr. and was reminded how much fun it was to use the little bugger. i almost threw the detector across the field it felt so light. ive been using the super12. i ended up right behind the backstop with foxs settings only turned down a bit. and found 3 pocket spills around 3 inches deep. i popped coins with the probe for about 30 minutes. mostly nickels. that little coil sure does seperate . no problem pinpointing or finding them with the probe. nothing deep but was fun when things work they way there suppose. ended up with a couple bucks worth. HH

Detectors
    1) White's VX3 w/950 coil, 6X 10 DD Eclipse coil & Eclipse DD 4x6 shooter; 2) White's Beach Hunter ID 300; 3) White's Surf PI Dual Field; Garrett's Pro Pointer, White's Bullseye II pinpointer,
    That's great to hear... I got a $100 gift card and I am thinking of getting it for by VX3 (although I already have a 6x10 DD eclipse). Coloma Gold

Detectors
    vx3 garret pro pointer
    im thinking about getting a 5.3 myself for my vx3 ive found quite a few good coins lately that were being partially masked by trash using a 6x10 these were areas i had previously hit hard using a d2 but it couldnt separate the good from the trash the 5.3 might even be more capable in these areas what is a good rd for a vx3 using a 5.3 coil and slow sweep speed