White's Featured Customer Stories
DFX finds silver and gold A Great Afternoon with a Bonus! Bayonets Recovered ring with the V3i FIRST DIG WITH MY WHITE'S BEACH HUNTER 300

Thread: Dfx 300 beach trouble

Detectors
    Dfx 300

Dfx 300 beach trouble

I am new to the dfx 300 when it comes to beach detecting. I have researched the internet for solutions to some of the problems i've run into but couldn't find anything about it. I am using the preset program jewelry/beach. 1.) I have been avoiding wet sand because everytime i detect in it, the detector goes crazy and it is beeping everywhere i search. 2.) When i get a signal strong enough to display a picture of the item on my screen i move the coil back over it and the item seems to have disappeared. It wont beep again. 3.) When i am pinpointing the item, it seems to lock on to the same height instead of fading whenever i move the coil away from the target. For example, i will hold the coil up in the air and it will still say the same height. 4.) When i do get a good signal from the detector, sometimes it wont even pick up the item when pinpointing. I think it is the salt water messing it up, but i'm not sure how to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Detectors
    V3i / VX3 / DFX / MXT Pro / M6 / 6T / CM GT / XLT / BH 300 / SURF PI DF / 6000D S2
    Welcome to the forum .... Need a little help in order to help you:

1. Where are you?
    2. What coil are you using?
    3. Does your detector ground balance properly?
    4. Have you changed any settings ?

This info will help us get you pointed in the right direction / determine if you might have an issue with your detector, etc.
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Detectors
    Dfx 300
    1.) Topsail island, North Carolina
    2.) I'm pretty sure it's the 12 inch coil. It's the one that came with the detector when i bought it.
    3.) It balances in the dry sand but not where the sand is wetter
    4.) I haven't changed anything from the preset program jeweley/beach

Detectors
    Whites GMT with the 6x10dd coil,, Whites DFX, W/950, 6x10dd, 4x6dd,super 12 coils. DX-1 and 120 Bullseye pinpointer,, Sun Ray Pro Gold Headphones..... M6 is gone, But not forgotton"
    That's a pretty mild program to have problems with. I would turn off the Rachet pinpoint. That will help a bunch when pinpointing with the VCO only. I'm not a beach hunter, so can't help with the wet sand problem..
    Ineptocracy [in-ep-toc'-ra-cy] - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers. There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

FNH FNX 40

Detectors
    Dfx 300
    I'll try that , thanks. I'm used to detecting in PA so this is new for me

Detectors
    1) White's VX3 w/950 coil, 6X 10 DD Eclipse coil & Eclipse DD 4x6 shooter; 2) White's Beach Hunter ID 300; 3) White's Surf PI Dual Field; Garrett's Pro Pointer, White's Bullseye II pinpointer,
    Bear 360,

I also had similar problems with the large coil, especially at the water's edge. I adjusted sensitivity very low and rx gain was turned down. That helped a little however, it was not until I went with the 6x10 coil that I had much luck. Part of the problem is your unfamiliarity with the unit. Work with it and tweek the settings. Make sure it is balanced before starting. Also, make sure you are not near any man-made seawalls since most of them include footings made with re-bar. The mineralization may be high also contributing to your problems. Good luck.

Detectors
    DFX 300
    When going from dry sand to wet sand make sure you reground balance your unit.
    Happiness is gold or silver in the plug

Detectors
    V3i Vx3, BHID, TRX
    Hey Bear360, I agree with all of the above. I had a DFX with the 950 coil and used Fox's beach program without a hitch there at Topsail North. I DID run in to some EMI but it was tolerable as I knew where it was coming from. To me, most important, get a good ground balance on dry and wet if you can!
    Be yourself...Everyone else is taken!

Detectors
    Dfx 300
    Thanks for the help everyone!

Detectors
    Just About Every Model Ever
    A very wide soft sounding pinpoint is salt. The sand is softer in some spots compared to others and although the sand appears dry, deep down there is wet salt more than the surrounding sand. If it doesn't pinpoint sharp, like a typical target, if it is wide and not a solid beep but more of an increase in threshold, ignore it and move on. It is a higher degree of salt pocket.

Make sure you are using the Jewelry/Beach mode, not Coin & Jewelry. The Jewelry/Beach mode uses a special salt subtraction technique among the three frequencies and will produce better results on the salt beach (both wet and dry appearance). Once your in the wet and do a ground balance, if reducing sensitivity doesn't produce reasonably smooth results, most likely there is a bunch of metal fragments causing the inconsistencies. Watch for the iron display indication. As well some areas have hot rock type sands which are diffcult.

There is a big difference between the western USA salt beaches and the Eastern USA salt beaches. West coast benefits huge from "DD" type search coils due to a much higher degree of black sands (iron). Although many find the "DD" search coils also benefit the East coast, typically high iron is not as significant an issue as it is on the West coast.

In the Jewelry / Beach mode you should be able to search reasonably well both wet and dry. Typically it is the transition or edge from wet to dry that one would want to avoid. Wet salt is conductive in the same region as small gold (lower portion of the VDI scale). If it is consistent a good metal detector can ignore it. However, if it is not consistent, the detector is doing its job responding to increasing isolated spots of higher conductivity.

Howard

Detectors
    TDI Pro V3i MXT Pro MXT two Sun-ray dxi-1 4x6 two 6x10 eclipse 950 10" two 12" super 8x14 deep scan 12" dual field 7.5 DF 3x6 mono 5X10 folded 8 10x14 mono Headphones Gray Ghost Ultimate GG Black widow Sun ray Pro Gold
    good luck keep us posted
    live it, love it, thank it, dig it, low and slow is the way to go