White's Featured Customer Stories
Recent Civil War and Housesite Digs Whites MXT AllPro gets me a 1794 Liberty Cap Another great find found with the XLT Came behind a metal detecting club and found Holy Cow! I really did it today!

Thread: Goldmaster V/SAT

Detectors
    Goldmaster V-Sat

Goldmaster V/SAT

Hello,

I have been using my Goldmaster V/SAT for quite a while now, and it is quite the piece of equipment. The other day I started the set up process and when I held the coil up in the air and turned on the gain, it did the battery check just fine then a very loud tone came out of the speakers. I turned the gain knob from 1 to 10 and there was virtually no difference. The threshold had no effect on the tone and the ground balance made no real difference either. I could lower it to the ground and that didn't make any changes, unless I actually came close to some metal, which would change the tone and of course change the volume a bit. I plugged in my headphones and that didn't make any difference either. At the moment I am stumped as to what happened. The detector is all original and in what I would call pristine shape for its age. Anyone have any ideas that I could try? Thank you for any feedback with this....

Craig

Detectors
    V3i / VX3 / DFX / MXT Pro / M6 / 6T / CM GT / XLT / BH 300 / SURF PI DF / 6000D S2
    Could be a coil issue or a box issue. Disconnect the coil. If the unit quiets down, most likely you have a bad coil. If its still noisy, you most likely have a box issue .... The only "sure" way to eliminate one or the other is to swap coils. If you can't do that, then you should send the unit in for a checkup / repair.

Hope this is helpful.
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Detectors
    Whites GMT with the 6x10dd coil,, Whites DFX, W/950, 6x10dd, 4x6dd,super 12 coils. DX-1 and 120 Bullseye pinpointer,, Sun Ray Pro Gold Headphones..... M6 is gone, But not forgotton"
    Welcome to the forum Craig ....

Do what Fox said and see if the coil is your problem, that's what a bad coil does. I used a V-Sat for a little over a year and got tired of the constant manual balance, so sold it and went to the GMT.. Post up some pictures of your gold if you have any ..
    Ineptocracy [in-ep-toc'-ra-cy] - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers. There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

FNH FNX 40

Detectors
    Goldmaster V-Sat
    Thank you for the suggestion on isolating the coil. I unplugged the coil from the box and that resulted in a higher pitched squeal. It dropped back down once the coil was plugged back in. Assuming the coil was bad, with the coil unplugged would the detector be silent without the coil in the circuit?
    To be honest Nitro 54, I have no gold to show, all I have is a small bottle of coins and a couple of cheap rings. The detector finds everything. I am kind of a dig every sound person, except maybe some of the obvious iron signals. It is disappointing though, because I have an area I have been going to and gathering quartz to crush and I wanted to use the Goldmaster on the material higher up the hill.
    I will have to investigate what is involved in sending it to Whites. Or if they will even work on such an old machine.
    Thanks again for the help.

Take care,
    Craig

Detectors
    White's BHID 300 White's Spectra V3i White's Spectrum XLT White's BullsEye II Pinpointer Sun Ray DX-1 Pinpointer Garrett Pro Pinpointer Vibra-Probe 580
    Welcome to the forum, Craig!

I'd just go to the main White's Electronics website and click on Service/Support then Service Centers. Call the center in your area (since you are in CO, that would be White's West in Sweet Home, OR, and ask if they still support your machine. If they do, they will give you instructions on what to do. White's West has a repair document to fill out to send with the machine.

Good luck!
    Best finds: GOLD - One 14k wedding band, one 18k pinky ring, one 2.5 gram 14k religious medal, one 10k child's ring with 5 stones: SILVER - One 42 gram chain, one 12 gram bracelet, one heart with glass stones; small child's bracelet with inlaid mother of pearl; COINS - One 1947 Wheat Penny;

AVTHS Member/President

Detectors
    Goldmaster V-Sat
    Thank you for the information Riverbrat. I will dive in and see what happens. Take care...

Craig

Detectors
    Whites GMT with the 6x10dd coil,, Whites DFX, W/950, 6x10dd, 4x6dd,super 12 coils. DX-1 and 120 Bullseye pinpointer,, Sun Ray Pro Gold Headphones..... M6 is gone, But not forgotton"
    Your V-Sat should be silent without the coil plugged in. Just send it the box and the coil. No batteries, shafts or the arm cup. I just sent my GMT in for a Dr. Whites check over and in the original box, the postage was less than $10. My GMT was just acting weird every time the coil or box was hit.
    Ineptocracy [in-ep-toc'-ra-cy] - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers. There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

FNH FNX 40

Detectors
    Goldmaster V-Sat
    Thank you for the information Nitro 54. I have contacted Whites and started the process. Take care...

Craid