White's Featured Customer Stories
So many coins Silver and Gold together Burlington Northern Rail Road Buckle 1st gold of the year TWO GOOD WEEKENDS

Thread: TDI-SL or MXT Pro

Detectors
    TDI-SL, Bullseye II

TDI-SL or MXT Pro

I am somewhat new to prospecting and looking for a good metal detector for the foot-hills near Sacramento. I have seen a great deal of frustration with settings for the MXT in the forums. I want a detector that will not be too frustrating to use. The TDI-SL appears to be a metal detector that requires fewer adjustments than the MXT. I plan to search for gold nuggets. Any advice will be appreciated.

Detectors
    V3i / VX3 / DFX / MXT Pro / M6 / 6T / CM GT / XLT / BH 300 / SURF PI DF / 6000D S2
    Welcome to the forum !! If you are going to focus on prospecting, then TDI is the way to go. It's made to thrive in hi-mineralization while still punchin' down to those deep targets ....

Good luck !! Hope you're soon postin' a pic of a nice two pounder !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

People have been doing great with the V3i in Gainscreek Alaska too, the MXT still seems to be the most popular there but the TDI series also have doing great on the big gold nuggets deep too. I don't know how the mineralization in Cal's ground is compared to Alaska though. I've never personally owned a pulse machine mainly because iron is abundant here and there's no salt in the soil to break it down like other areas. I've read extensively about the TDI and sure would like to know someone in this area that has had hands on with one but nobody around these parts has one that I know of.

the Fox is right!

I live in northern California and hunt for nuggets in the Gold Country. I have had several detectors including the MXT and TDI Pro. I traded them in and now I have the TDI SL. The Fox is right - the mineralization and hot rocks will drive the MXT, and YOU, crazy. While the MXT will work decently on hyperSAT, the threshold sound is harsh. The new TDI SL is SMOOOOOTH. Plus it will cut through the mineralization enabling you to hear signals much deeper than the MXT.
    Happy Hunting!

Detectors
    TDI Pro V3i MXT Pro MXT two Sun-ray dxi-1 4x6 two 6x10 eclipse 950 10" two 12" super 8x14 deep scan 12" dual field 7.5 DF 3x6 mono 5X10 folded 8 10x14 mono Headphones Gray Ghost Ultimate GG Black widow Sun ray Pro Gold
    we go with the TDI SL we have the TDI Pro the SL is a lot more stable and lighter good luick and good hunting
    live it, love it, thank it, dig it, low and slow is the way to go

Detectors
    Whites GMT with the 6x10dd coil,, Whites DFX, W/950, 6x10dd, 4x6dd,super 12 coils. DX-1 and 120 Bullseye pinpointer,, Sun Ray Pro Gold Headphones..... M6 is gone, But not forgotton"
    Welcome to the forum ,,,The TDI SL would be my first choice after watching the video..
    Ineptocracy [in-ep-toc'-ra-cy] - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers. There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

FNH FNX 40

Detectors
    TDI-SL, Bullseye II
    Thank you for the information. I was really looking for a 3 pounder but will settle for a 2 pounder. Any suggestions on where to buy the TDI-SL at a great price?

Dug up a .22 short casing 6 inches deep with my SL, sounded like it was on the surface. Super quiet in the mineralization and love the 7.5 coil.

@Porkchopusn,
    check the other forums. Some folks who recently bought TDI SLs are now wanting to sell them. They have discovered that the TDI Pro goes deeper. No big surprise there - I think most people knew that all along. AA batteries were the first hint. However, I sold my TDI Pro for the TDI SL because I couldn't stand the constant warbling of the threshold on my TDI Pro. I don't know if it was just my machine or the hot ground, but I could never run my machine higher than a gain of 5. The TDI SL has a perfectly smooth threshold - in fact my recent experiments have shown that I can even run it with a completely silent threshold due to the fact that the transition from non-silent to silent is such a tiny movement on the dial. Plus it is extremely light. I am buying an amp for my SL to boost the headphone sounds and plan to run in it silent, or very close to silent. I am convinced that I can hear targets with my SL on a gain of 8-10 just as deep as my Pro on a gain of 4-5.
    Sorry for the long message, but just wanted to explain the details on the products and my decision, and to explain why some others are selling their SLs. There are some people who either have exceptional TDI Pros or their ground conditions allow them to run their Pros at higher gains, so they want to sell their SLs and go back to their Pros.
    Happy Hunting!

Porkchopusn you get them through a Whites certified TDI dealer

Detectors
    V3i (SpectraSound) / MXT- Pro / IDX Pro - DX-1 / Bullseye II - Bullseye TRX Pinpointer
    Welcome to the forum and good luck ..
    V3i - MXT Pro - IDX Pro - 2014

$ - 14
    H - 2
    Q - 507
    D - 773
    N - 311 (9 %)
    P - 1993
    CC - 3602
    Total$ - 254.51
    Rings - 73
    (Silver) - 17
    (Gold) - 5
    (Tungsten) - 0
    Oldest Coin - 1897 IH Cent
    1923 Liberty Peace Silver Dollar - 1858..1958 Canadian Commemorative Silver Dollar
    Silver Coins - 1 - ..... " You Just Never Know What Will Turn Up Next...or...From Where " ....