Thread: V3i Roadmap

Detectors
    V3i / VX3 / DFX / MXT Pro / M6 / 6T / CM GT / XLT / BH 300 / 6000D S2

V3i Roadmap

V3i ROADMAP
    How Do I ?

Power Up and Start Hunting

After following the assembly instructions, and with a fresh battery pack installed, press the ON / OFF button. You’ll see the startup screen with the White’s Logo and a battery voltage check. Pull the trigger switch. You’re now hunting in the selected program.

Use the MENU Button

Pressing the MENU at any time will display the 6 Block Menu consisting of:
    • Programs
    • Discrimination
    • Sensitivity
    • Frequency
    • Audio
    • Ground Tracking
    Press the MENU button TWICE to access the EXPERT MENU. Inside a sub-menu, use the MENU button to TAB to various selections.

Use the EXPERT Menu

The Expert Menu is comprised of the following sub-menu items / controls and is used to tailor / “fine tune” V3i performance to the user’s style / preferences and to the hunting environment.
    • Program
      • Select, Save, Restore / Load, New / Copy, Rename, Erase, Setup, Library
    • Discrimination
      • Visual Reject, Bottle Cap Reject, Hot Rock Reject, V.D.I. Select By, ICON Table
    • Sensitivity
      • RX Gain, TX Boost, Discrimination, All Metal
    • Audio
      • Target Volume, Audio Threshold, Tone, Search Audio, Pinpoint Audio, Wireless Headphones
    • Frequency
      • 3 Frequency, Salt Compensate, 2.5Khz, 7.5Khz, 22.5Khz, Frequency Offset
    • Ground Tracking
      • AutoTrac, LockTrac, Soil Type
    • Filter and Speed
      • Search Mode Filter Selection, Analysis Mode Filter Selection
    • Configure
      • Language, Metric Units, Backlight, Color Theme, Sound Effects, Live Search Screen, Live Controls, Menu, Loop Selection, Battery
    Use The ENTER Button

From the MENU screen, the ENTER button selects the menu item to be viewed. From a Live Control, the ENTER button shows the current settings for that particular control. Use the ENTER button to select / deselect those items with a “box”. EG: Change VDI Accept / Reject settings, Enable / Disable Tone ID, VCO, etc.

Use The Live Controls?

To use the Live Controls use the R-L Arrow Keys to select the Live Control you wish to open. Press ENTER. You’ll see the current settings that are applied with the program you’ve loaded. You can change some settings directly from the Live Control, or go deeper into the menu by pressing ZOOM.

Use The ZOOM Button

With the selected Live Control display active, Press ZOOM to view additional settings / options that may be available for the selected Live Control. EG: Select Live Control AUDIO LEVELS with the R-L ARROW KEYS and press ENTER. You’ll see the current Volume and Threshold settings. Press ZOOM and you’ll go to the next menu level containing Search Audio, Pinpoint Audio and Wireless Headphones.

Using the UP / DOWN Arrow Keys, select the control you wish to view / modify and press ENTER. You’ll see the next menu level.

TIP: If you just want to see what controls are available under each menu item, simply select it and push the trigger forward. You’ll get a “Help Balloon” showing the available controls.

Use The ARROW Keys

The ARROW keys are used to navigate the screen and menu functions. Right, Left, Up, Down.

The ARROW keys will also move the “slider controls” for those functions that have them such as Recovery Delay and S.A.T. speed.

Use The Trigger Switch

The TRIGGER switch has three (3) positions. Center is the normal search mode. Pulled puts VX3 in the All Metal Pinpoint Mode and deactivates S.A.T. Locked Forward has two functions. In the search mode, moving the trigger to the forward position will activate the selected Analysis mode. When used in conjunction with the menu functions, moving the trigger will forward will cause a “Help Balloon” to be displayed which contains additional information about the selected function.

Open A New Program

From the PROGRAM Live Control, simply press ENTER. Select the program you wish to load using the UP / DOWN Arrow Keys to load the selected program.

Create A Custom Program

Simply change any setting you wish using the Live Controls or ZOOM Menu. When you turn power OFF using the ON / OFF switch, the program will be saved with all your changes. It will have the same name as the factory program you modified, with a triangle in front of the name.

After making a change to a setting, if you want to save it as the default, simply press and hold ENTER, then press MENU. That single change will be saved as a default.
    If you want to make all your changes the default for the current program, select the program name in the Program menu. With the name highlighted, press and hold ENTER, then press MENU. Select SAVE AS Defaults and all your changes will be saved. Y
    You can restore all the defaults previously selected at this menu as well.

Load My Custom Program

After you’ve created and saved your personal settings, V3i will select that version of the program to run. EG: If you modified and saved the C&J program, every time you select the C&J program, your custom settings will be applied.

Restore A Program To Saved Defaults

Select the Program Live Control and select the program you wish to restore. Press and hold the ENTER key, then press MENU. Select Restore Defaults. Your selected default settings for that program will be restored.

Restore A Program To Factory Settings

To restore a custom program to factory settings;
    • Press MENU twice then ENTER to access EXPERT MENU
    • Select Program and Press ENTER
    • Select RESTORE / LOAD and press ENTER
    • Using the UP / DOWN ARROW keys, select the program you wish to restore
    • Press MENU / TAB to access the Restore From Menu
    • Select Library Program
    • Use the RIGHT / LEFT arrow keys to select the settings you want to restore to
    • Press MENU / TAB – See LOAD selected
    • Press Enter – The selected program is restored to the selected settings
    • Pull the trigger switch to continue hunting
    Change the Backlight Setting

Select the BACKLIGHT Live Control and press ENTER. Use the UP / DOWN arrow keys to select the brightness you prefer.

Set the Target and Threshold Volume and Target Tone

Select the AUDIO LEVELS / TONE Live Control and press ENTER. Use the ARROW keys to select / set the desired Target and Threshold volumes and Target Tone.

Set the RXG, AM, DS Sensitivity

Select the SENSITIVITY Live Control and press ENTER. Use the ARROW keys to select / set the desired Receiver Gain (RXG), All Metal (AM) and Discriminate (DS) sensitivity. Remember – RXG controls the signal from the coil to the box, and affects both AM and DS sensitivity. AM sensitivity is the pinpoint / non-motion sensitivity. DS is the motion sensitivity.

Set the Discrimination Pattern (VDI Accept / Reject)

Select the DISC Live Control and press ENTER. Use the UP / DOWN ARROW keys to select the VDI you wish to change. Press ENTER to change the Accept / Reject status of that VDI.

TIP: If you wish to change a RANGE of VDIs, simply select the starting VDI and the Accept / Reject criteria you wish to set across a range of VDIs. Press and HOLD ENTER. Using the UP / DOWN ARROW keys, move through the range of VDIs you wish to set. This will change each VDI in the range to selected status.

Select Frequency Modes and Offsets

Select the FREQUENCY Live Control and press ENTER. Use the ARROW keys to select the desired Frequency Mode and Offset.

Select Best Data / Correlate Mode

Select the FREQUENCY Live Control and press ENTER. Use the ARROW keys to select either Best Data or Correlate mode.

TIP: If you’re in a high EMI environment select pinpoint mode and adjust the frequency offset for the quietest operation.

Enable / Disable AutoTrac and Select Trac Speed / Offset

Select the GROUND TRACKING Live Control and press ENTER. Use the ARROW keys to select Autotrac (tracking enabled) or Locktrac (tracking locked). Use the ARROW keys to select Offset and Speed.

Select Normal / Salt Soil Type

Select the GROUND TRACKING Live Control and press ENTER. Use the ARROW keys to select either Normal / Salt soil type.
    Tip: Salt Comp mode always selects SALT soil type.

Select Ground Filters

Select the GROUND FILTER Live Control and press ENTER. Use the ARROW keys to select the desired Band Pass or High Pass filter. (5Hz, 7.5Hz, 10.Hz or 12.5Hz).
    Tip: Select a BANDPASS filter for best operation in a HIGH EMI environment.

Select The Live Controls I Want To Use

Press the MENU button twice to select the EXPERT Menu. Press ENTER.
    Arrow down to Configure and press ENTER.
    Arrow down to LIVE CONTROLS and press ENTER.
    Select EXTEND and press ENTER.
    Select ORDER and press ENTER.
    You’ll see a list of available Live Controls, and one entry – {~ The End ~}. The “The End” control is used to designate the end of the list of Live Controls you want to display. You can move any entry in this list by positioning the selection bar over the entry, pressing and holding ENTER, and using the UP / DOWN arrow keys.
    All entries ABOVE “{~The End~} will be displayed. The entry on the TOP of the list is the LEFT-MOST entry on the Search Screen. Any entry BELOW {~ The End ~} will NOT be displayed.

Where Do I Find In the Menu ?

PROGRAM SELECT
    Select the 6 Block MENU. Select Program. Use the ARROW keys to Select the desired program.

PROGRAM RESTORE
    • Select Program Live Control
    • Press and hold ENTER
    • Press MENU
    • Select RESTORE DEFAULTS
    • Press MENU twice then ENTER to access EXPERT MENU
    • Select Program and Press ENTER
    • Select RESTORE / LOAD and press ENTER
    VDI EDIT
    • 6 Block MENU > Discrimination > ENTER > VDI Accept
    • DISCRIMINATE Live Control > ENTER
    • DISCRIMINATE Live Control > ZOOM > VDI Select by > VDI > Edit
    SENSITIVITIES (RXG / AM / DS)
    • 6 Block MENU > Sensitivity > RXG / DS / AM
    • Sensitivity Live Control > ENTER
    • Sensitivity Live Control > ZOOM > RXG / DS / AM
    SENSITIVITY PROBE
    • Sensitivity Live Control > ZOOM > Ground Probe
    TARGET VOLUME / AUDIO THRESHOLD / Tone
    • 6 Block MENU > AUDIO > Target Volume / Audio Threshold / Tone
    • Audio Level / Tone Live Control > ENTER > Volume / Threshold / Tone
    SEARCH AUDIO Modes – Disc / All Metal / Mixed Mode
    • Audio Levels Live Control > ZOOM > Search Audio > DS / AM / VCO / MM
    THRESHOLD / TONE ID and MODULATION
    • Audio Levels Live Control > ZOOM > Search Audio > Discrimination > Threshold / Tone ID / Mod
    PINPOINT AUDIO Modes (VCO ON / OFF
    • Audio Levels Live Control > ZOOM > Pinpoint > VCO
    WIRELESS HEADPHONE SETUP
    • Audio Levels Live Control > ZOOM > Wireless Headphone
    FREQUENCY MODE SELECTION and OFFSET
    • 6 Block MENU > Frequency > Frequency and Offset
    • Transmit Frequency Live Control > ENTER > Frequency and Offset
    BEST DATA / CORRELATE MODE
    • Transmit Frequency Live Control > ENTER > Best Data / Correlate
    AUTOTRAC / LOCKTRAC / SOIL TYPE
    • 6 Block MENU > Ground Tracking > AutoTrac / LockTrac / Soil Type
    • Ground Tracking Live Control > ZOOM > AutoTrac / LockTrac / Soil Type
    GROUND FILTERS
    • Ground Filter Live Control > ENTER > Select Filter
    • Ground Filter Live Control > ZOOM > Search > Ground Filter
    • Ground Filter Live Control > ZOOM > Analysis > Match Search or Select Filter
    GROUND PROBE
    • Ground Tracking Live Control > ZOOM > Ground Probe
    RECOVERY DELAY
    • Recovery Live Control > ENTER
    • Recovery Live Control > ZOOM > Search or Analysis > Recovery Delay
    SELF ADJUSTING THRESHOLD (S.A.T.) SPEED
    • S.A.T. Live Control > ENTER
    • Recovery Live Control > ZOOM > Search or Analysis > S.A.T.
    BOTTLE CAP REJECT
    • Bottlecap Reject Live Control > ENTER
    • EXPERT Menu > Discrimination > Bottle Cap Reject
    HOT ROCK REJECT
    • Hot Rock Live Control > Enter
    • EXPERT Menu > Discrimination > Hot Rock Reject
    TRANSMIT BOOST
    • TX Boost Live Control > ENTER
    • EXPERT MENU > Sensitivity > TX Boost
    Last edited by deolslyfox; 07-14-2011 at 07:38 AM.
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Detectors
    Whites GMT with the 6x10dd coil,, Whites DFX, W/950, 6x10dd, 4x6dd,super 12 coils. DX-1 and 120 Bullseye pinpointer,, Sun Ray Pro Gold Headphones..... M6 is gone, But not forgotton"
    Thanks Fox,......... that's a lot of directions, I hope I don't get lost before I get there !!!
    Ineptocracy [in-ep-toc'-ra-cy] - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers. There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

FNH FNX 40

Detectors
    I've had a few requests for something at this level. You can get further down into the V3i Menu system to really "make it your own", but hopefully, this will help most folks with the basics ....
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Detectors
    Spectra V3i
    Thanks Fox! Much appreciated. You ever think of holding a V3I bootcamp?

Bronze Member
    Detectors
    V3i, 6000 XL Pro, TM800

You explain things gooder!

Thanks for cutting to the chase! This will help many....jogged my brain on some things. (Already had learned them...this refresher made me realize some stuff I'd forgotten!)

Exalted One
    Great post Fox very informative.

Detectors
    Spectra V3i. AT Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by deolslyfox View Post
    but hopefully, this will help most folks with the basics ....
    Basics? Yeeks!!!! But seriously thanks for this. My V3i is still on its way to me so I've been spending my time studying up on how to use it. This Roadmap is great as I can follow it without getting sidetracked. Will defiantly have it beside me when I first turn the V3i on.

Detectors
    TDI Pro V3i MXT Pro MXT two Sun-ray dxi-1 4x6 two 6x10 eclipse 950 10" two 12" super 8x14 deep scan 12" dual field 7.5 DF 3x6 mono 5X10 folded 8 10x14 mono Headphones Gray Ghost Ultimate GG Black widow Sun ray Pro Gold
    Thank you
    live it, love it, thank it, dig it, low and slow is the way to go

Detectors
    V3i, Surf Master PI, Etrac, Excalibur II, Detector Pro Pistol, Garrett Pin pointer, Vibra Probe 580. Whites Bullseye.
    Thanks Fox.

Detectors
    Whites GMT with the 6x10dd coil,, Whites DFX, W/950, 6x10dd, 4x6dd,super 12 coils. DX-1 and 120 Bullseye pinpointer,, Sun Ray Pro Gold Headphones..... M6 is gone, But not forgotton"
    Welcome to the forum Shilo, it looks like the roadmap got you here ....
    Ineptocracy [in-ep-toc'-ra-cy] - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers. There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

FNH FNX 40

Detectors
    White V3i
    Quote Originally Posted by plarson View Post
    Thanks Fox! Much appreciated. You ever think of holding a V3I bootcamp?
    Like that idea of a bootcamp. If we could meet at a location and then spend a few days (weekend) together learning from the best it would be great. I would be willing to pay to offset the cost that White would have.

Detectors
    Whites XLT, DFX, and TDI SL. Garrett Pro-Pointer, Predator Lesche shovels and trowels.
    Thank you Fox
    This is the simple directions that I wanted from the start. Reading the directions in the manual are not at all easy for me to follow. The manual seems cluttered and difficult. You have made it a lot easier to go step by step.
    Thank you so much
    Dave

Detectors
    V3i/ GTI2500/ Ace250/AT Pro Surf PI Pro Garrett Pro Pointer Vibra Probe
    Thanx
    This forum makes owning a white an easy choice
    Gabby
    V3i
    Surf PI Pro

Platinum Member VWandSTUDEBAKER's Avatar
    Detectors
    Coinmaster 4000/D Series 2 5900/Di Pro SL, Surfmaster PI, Beach Hunter ID, Vision with V3International upgrade. I have stock 10DD, 6x10, 4x6 DD, Super 12 coils. Whites TRX pin pointer.
    Cool cheat sheet, Fox. When I get back home, I will have to dig a little deeper in to the destructions. Thanks for the info. I agree this is how things should be written up. Most of my computer documentation is like this, so thats how I have learned things for over 30 years.
    V3I-nternational

One mans trash is another mans treasure.....oh so true
    The computer is only as smart as its programmer
    Whites users, Where are you located http://www.mapservices.org/myguestmap/map/1963stude

Detectors
    Look at Carl's manual (work in progress) stickied at the top of the V3i thread, and look at the VX3 manual .... You can get some great info there as well ....

Detectors
    Whites V3i Laser B1 Hipower ( Cloned Tesoro Bandido)
    Is there a Flow chart for the menus available anywhere on the net?
    I am a licensed Amatuer radio operator and for the majority of
    the ham radios there is available a Quick Reference Guide little booklets called "Nifty Manuals".
    Laminated pages of about 6inch by 3 inch in size, suitable pocket size.
    When I have been stuck to alter a setting on a particular rig I would use one of these
    Nifty manuals related to the rig in use instead of the main manual.
    Ideal project for some one to take on the idea...
    I'll have a free one for my V3i.
    If my memory serves me correctly I think the SL-90 and the first Whites Spectrum
    came with a field booklet.
    Last edited by Advent; 07-18-2011 at 11:19 AM.
    There is no better sight than to see the colour of Gold surrounded by earth.

Detectors
    Skipping the V3 / V3i / Carl's manual will leave you with a lot of unanswered questions, and info that you should know to get the best out of your V3i ....

Don't forget the on-board help !!

Detectors
    White's BHID 300 White's Spectra V3i White's Spectrum XLT White's BullsEye II Pinpointer Sun Ray DX-1 Pinpointer Garrett Pro Pinpointer Vibra-Probe 580
    Great doc, Fox! I printed it out and will read on the train, as well as carry with me while hunting. I always forget about the onboard documentation, too. I'm sure there are many things that I've forgotten that this will refresh in the old gray matter! Good work!

Best finds: GOLD - One 14k wedding band, one 18k pinky ring, one 2.5 gram 14k religious medal, one 10k child's ring with 5 stones: SILVER - One 42 gram chain, one 12 gram bracelet, one heart with glass stones; small child's bracelet with inlaid mother of pearl; COINS - One 1947 Wheat Penny;

AVTHS Member/President

Detectors
    Whites XLT T2
    Hi Fox,
    Thanks for the trouble you have gone to. I read them with interest. One small point, To get to the LIVE CONTROLS. In your list, its not clear how to get into the " Live control"
    Quote:
    Use The Live Controls?

To use the Live Controls use the R-L Arrow Keys to select the Live Control you wish to open. Press ENTER. You’ll see the current settings that are applied with the program you’ve loaded. You can change some settings directly from the Live Control, or go deeper into the menu by pressing ZOOM.
    I tried to do your way without success. This was because I had the control minimized and it wasn't showing on the bottom. You have to HOLD ZOOM and then press the up arrow. to display the live controls. I think I have that right, but I am a very raw Lerner.
    Regards Ray

Detectors
    This is in the sheet, further down:

Select The Live Controls I Want To Use

Press the MENU button twice to select the EXPERT Menu. Press ENTER.
    Arrow down to Configure and press ENTER.
    Arrow down to LIVE CONTROLS and press ENTER.
    Select EXTEND and press ENTER.
    Select ORDER and press ENTER.
    You’ll see a list of available Live Controls, and one entry – {~ The End ~}. The “The End” control is used to designate the end of the list of Live Controls you want to display. You can move any entry in this list by positioning the selection bar over the entry, pressing and holding ENTER, and using the UP / DOWN arrow keys.
    All entries ABOVE “{~The End~} will be displayed. The entry on the TOP of the list is the LEFT-MOST entry on the Search Screen. Any entry BELOW {~ The End ~} will NOT be displayed.

Silver Member
    Detectors
    Spectra V3I
    Thank you very much the chart will save a lot of time.

Detectors
    v3
    Just wanted to say hello to everyone. I have wanted to get a detector since I was a kid and picked up a v3 the other day for a really great price. In 3 days i have found a bunch of coins (nothing old) and at least 300-400 pull tabs heh heh. I have so many questions about this thing I dont know where to start. I live in the co mountains just a few miles from hunderds of old mines so I want to try and use it for prospecting. Ill try and find some answers in these forums, if not then I will be back! thanks

Detectors
    Good luck !!

Detectors
    V3I with wireless headphones and M6 with 10 DD, 6x10 DD 4x6 Eclipse DD Shooter coil PROSTAR headphones
    Thanks for the help and hard work you put out there to help people
    again Thanks