White's Featured Customer Stories
1848 Liberty Seated Half Dime Early Birthday Virginia Relic Hunt with White's V3i Rare Find with a Great Detector -Coinmaster GT 1805 Large Cent

Thread: Sears TR-Discriminator Model 321.59642

Sears TR-Discriminator Model 321.59642

Greetings treasure hunters,
    I bought a Sears TR-Discriminator Model 321.59642 at a garage sale Friday and it's in pretty good shape for as old as it is. I found the manual for it online but it doesn't mention that it's necessary to 'sweep' the coil when searching. Years ago I had a more modern md and the instructions said to sweep it back and forth while searching. I'm sure there are many of you out there that are acquainted with this machine and can give me some tips on how to best use it. I realize that there are probably a lot better machines out there but I am operating on a fixed income and must make use of what is available to me. Thank you in advance for any information that you can give me regarding this old timer. Rj

Detectors
    V3i / VX3 / DFX / MXT Pro / M6 / 6T / CM GT / XLT / BH 300 / SURF PI DF / 6000D S2
    It is necessary to keep the loop in motion if you are going to use this unit in the automatic mode. We used to set our units up so that they would just knock out foil. Any more and you'll start losing gold. In fact, by knocking out foil you are losing SMALL gold ...

Anyhow, our "2nd setup" was to just knock out pulltabs - no more. That will still get you all the coins except a nickel and larger gold rings and chains.

Here's the manual for your unit: http://media.whiteselectronics.com/m...ion Manual.pdf

Note that page 8 mentions keeping the detector coil in motion ....

Hope this is helpful ....
    Last edited by deolslyfox; 07-03-2011 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Corrected typo
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Thank you deoslyfox... I missed that part on page 8. Just in too big a hurry. Thanks for the tip on setting it up also. I figure it won't hurt me to dig some pulltabs. Rj

Detectors
    Whites GMT with the 6x10dd coil,, Whites DFX, W/950, 6x10dd, 4x6dd,super 12 coils. DX-1 and 120 Bullseye pinpointer,, Sun Ray Pro Gold Headphones..... M6 is gone, But not forgotton"
    Welcome to the forum ,,,,That's quit the oldie you picked up ....
    Ineptocracy [in-ep-toc'-ra-cy] - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers. There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

FNH FNX 40

Detectors
    TDI Pro V3i MXT Pro MXT two Sun-ray dxi-1 4x6 two 6x10 eclipse 950 10" two 12" super 8x14 deep scan 12" dual field 7.5 DF 3x6 mono 5X10 folded 8 10x14 mono Headphones Gray Ghost Ultimate GG Black widow Sun ray Pro Gold
    good luck with it good hunting
    live it, love it, thank it, dig it, low and slow is the way to go

Detectors
    V3i (SpectraSound) / MXT- Pro / IDX Pro - DX-1 / Bullseye II - Bullseye TRX Pinpointer
    Welcome to the forum ... Good luck and good hunting ...
    V3i - MXT Pro - IDX Pro - 2014

$ - 8
    H - 2
    Q - 360
    D - 575
    N - 235 (9 %)
    P - 1533
    CC - 2715
    Total$ - 183.56
    Rings - 57
    (Silver) - 12
    (Gold) - 3
    (Tungsten) - 0
    Oldest Coin - 1897 IH Cent
    1923 Liberty Peace Silver Dollar - 1858..1958 Canadian Commemorative Silver Dollar
    Silver Coins - 1 - ..... " You Just Never Know What Will Turn Up Next...or...From Where " ....

Detectors
    DFX 300, V3I
    Good luck. looking forward to pictures of your finds with the old beast.
    The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Gold Member

TR vs GEB re.: motion/sweep

fox, I think you got Rj's question wrong. His machine is a TR discriminator, thus would not need motion (if I understood his question about the need to "sweep" correctly, to mean motion). On the old TR's, the disc would work ....... and the signal would continue, even if you stopped right on top of the target, with no "sweeping" or "motion" at all.

Contrast to the motion (aka: GEB, VLF-disc, SPD, etc...) generation of disc, starting in the later '70s and early '80s, where motion (or "sweepig") is required. By the mid 1980s, this began to be slowed down to real slow, but still "motion" none-the-less

Rj: your detector was made by Whites, and marketed by Sears. I'm going to guess it's probably circa mid to late 1970s. A real dinasour by today's standards. The TR disc. was great for its time (we could knock out foil, tabs, etc... for the first time! ) However, the depth was limited in disc. to perhaps 6", on coin-sized targets. A little more if you were in neutral ground minerals and really knew how to click & scrub. And worse if the ground was moderatly mineralized. In some states (the continental divide portions of states, and other areas of of some states) the TR disc. was limited to perhaps 2 or 3", or simply didn't work at all. When motion disc. came out in 1977/78-ish, it doubled the depth of disc. in some areas At first, it was crude, fast sweep, prone to masking, poor on low conductors, etc.... But by the mid 1980s was improved, slowed down, and now had TID, thus rendering TR a dinasour.

Tom that's how my TR5000D GEB discriminator was also

Detectors
    V3i / VX3 / DFX / MXT Pro / M6 / 6T / CM GT / XLT / BH 300 / SURF PI DF / 6000D S2
    Tom: You and Giant are correct. I typed "discriminate" but was thinking "Automatic".

If you run the machine in non-Auto mode, you're absolutely correct. If you run the machine in Auto, you have to keep the coil in motion.

I corrected my post. Thanks !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

I want to thank all of you for taking the time to reply. You've all been very helpful and also encouraging. I would love to be able to post some 'finds'. Thanks for the well wishes. Sounds like a nice group here. I'll be back when I find something. I'm practicing now. Best to all....Rj

Detectors
    Good luck !! Those old units have accounted for many a good find !!