White's Featured Customer Stories
Rare Find with a Great Detector -Coinmaster GT With an MXT, treasure is only inches away. White's V3i with small coil works on beach  . Lost ring in the riding arena Prayers

Thread: PULL TABS - Did you know???

Detectors
    White's BHID 300 White's Spectra V3i White's Spectrum XLT White's BullsEye II Pinpointer Sun Ray DX-1 Pinpointer Garrett Pro Pinpointer Vibra-Probe 580

PULL TABS - Did you know???

Hi folks,

Just in case you didn't see it where I posted it in someone elses thread, I weighed an aluminum can (pull tab removed) then weighed a single pull tab, divided the weight of the pull tab into the weight of the can and found that 47 pull tabs equals one can in weight. I then put 47 pull tabs on my scale to verify and it was extremely close. Of course, if the cans have the tabs still attached, it takes 48 tabs to equal one can. Pull tabs don't take up as much space as a can, so are easier to store until enough weight is achieved to make it feasible to cash in the tabs. We pull enough pull tabs, we might as well cash them in! It all adds up. FYI, I also read that there are charity organizations who save pull tabs, so you can do it for a charity if you don't keep the loot for yourself! Just food for thought!
    Best finds: GOLD - One 14k wedding band, one 18k pinky ring, one 2.5 gram 14k religious medal, one 10k child's ring with 5 stones: SILVER - One 42 gram chain, one 12 gram bracelet, one heart with glass stones; small child's bracelet with inlaid mother of pearl; COINS - One 1947 Wheat Penny;

AVTHS Member/President

Detectors
    TDI Pro w/stock coil
    Great post .......I have done it both ways and equally pleased with both. What I didn't know was how many pull tabs to equal one can Thanks !!!
    And it shall come to pass that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Detectors
    White's BHID 300 White's Spectra V3i White's Spectrum XLT White's BullsEye II Pinpointer Sun Ray DX-1 Pinpointer Garrett Pro Pinpointer Vibra-Probe 580
    I figured if I was curious about it, someone else might be, as well, so hence the post. Glad you liked it!
    Best finds: GOLD - One 14k wedding band, one 18k pinky ring, one 2.5 gram 14k religious medal, one 10k child's ring with 5 stones: SILVER - One 42 gram chain, one 12 gram bracelet, one heart with glass stones; small child's bracelet with inlaid mother of pearl; COINS - One 1947 Wheat Penny;

AVTHS Member/President

Detectors
    V3i / VX3 / DFX / MXT Pro / M6 / 6T / CM GT / XLT / BH 300 / 6000D S2
    Interesting ....
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Detectors
    TDI Pro V3i MXT Pro MXT two Sun-ray dxi-1 4x6 two 6x10 eclipse 950 10" two 12" super 8x14 deep scan 12" dual field 7.5 DF 3x6 mono 5X10 folded 8 10x14 mono Headphones Gray Ghost Ultimate GG Black widow Sun ray Pro Gold
    we save all of our along with the brass copper and iron we put it all in 5 gal bucket it add up we dig a lot of this stuff in a year time good to know about the pull tabs THANK YOU
    live it, love it, thank it, dig it, low and slow is the way to go

Detectors
    Whites GMT with the 6x10dd coil,, Whites DFX, W/950, 6x10dd, 4x6dd,super 12 coils. DX-1 and 120 Bullseye pinpointer,, Sun Ray Pro Gold Headphones..... M6 is gone, But not forgotton"
    I never save my tabs.. Our cans here in Oregon have a 5 cent bounty on them when returned. You also pay a nickle when you buy it.
    Ineptocracy [in-ep-toc'-ra-cy] - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers. There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

FNH FNX 40

Detectors
    MXT w/6X9DD coil on land Fisher CZ-21 in the water
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro 54 View Post
    I never save my tabs.. Our cans here in Oregon have a 5 cent bounty on them when returned. You also pay a nickle when you buy it.
    We get 5 cents per can as well... but the pulltab doesn't need to be on it when you cash in your cans and bottles at the redemption center.
    All the tabs get taken off our cans and we send the tabs in to a charitable organization. Plus, any tabs we find get tossed in as well (after they're rinsed/cleaned), and the members of our club save them as well.
    The land is a treasure chest, your detector the key.

Detectors
    V3i (SpectraSound) / MXT- Pro / IDX Pro - DX-1 / Bullseye II - Bullseye TRX Pinpointer
    Thanks for the info. riverbrat ... Like the others, I have thousands of the little aluminum treasures also ..... and will donate them to the Ronald McDonald house soon ..... I wish you well and happy hunting out there...
    V3i - MXT Pro - IDX Pro - 2014

$ - 8
    H - 2
    Q - 360
    D - 575
    N - 235 (9 %)
    P - 1533
    CC - 2715
    Total$ - 183.56
    Rings - 57
    (Silver) - 12
    (Gold) - 3
    (Tungsten) - 0
    Oldest Coin - 1897 IH Cent
    1923 Liberty Peace Silver Dollar - 1858..1958 Canadian Commemorative Silver Dollar
    Silver Coins - 1 - ..... " You Just Never Know What Will Turn Up Next...or...From Where " ....

Detectors
    MXT w/6X9DD coil on land Fisher CZ-21 in the water
    IDXit, my husband, myself and our forum have been doing that for 2 years now. We've heard stories of people detecting pulltabs on the beaches and throwing them back into the sand. It discouraged us, so I started a challenge for our forum.... save those tabs and give them to us at group hunts. We will send them in.

Cleans the beaches, for one...

And I've been contemplating some other events... I won't mention them here... use your imagination...
    The land is a treasure chest, your detector the key.

Detectors
    Spectra V3i, 10"DD, 6"x10", DX-1 probe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    We get 5 cents per can as well... but the pulltab doesn't need to be on it when you cash in your cans and bottles at the redemption center.
    All the tabs get taken off our cans and we send the tabs in to a charitable organization. Plus, any tabs we find get tossed in as well (after they're rinsed/cleaned), and the members of our club save them as well.
    A fellow member of my local club takes the cans to portland Ore to a recycler. With everything going up, You get more than 5 cents per can by weight.............He has to go there anyway....We also save all are pulltabs.......

Detectors
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    Snowy, it was YOUR post where I read about the charity donations. I just couldn't remember where I had read it. If I had, I would have given you the credit! We also also pay a 5 cent deposit on cans and can get it back when we recycle them - but I rarely use cans anymore. I'm diabetic so don't drink sodas and don't like what artificial sweeteners can do to you. So I only save the pull tabs I find hunting. Thanks for your input!
    P.S. I have a toy poodle named Snowy - I hope you don't bite like he does!

AVTHS Member/President

Detectors
    SPECTRA V3I GARRETTS PRO-POINTER
    i like ur style lets talk about the future if there is one the price of various metals will always increase over time i save everything i dig and have recently thought about buying a furnace and crucible if u know what i mean. you couldnt give a greater present then homemade bullion bars with ur own signature on them they in themselves would go up in value with the right marketing. so if u think a pulltab is not worth saving think again. melted down into a pretty bar and put up on the shelf what do you think it will be worth in 50 years. ie grandkids would reap the benefits of a once young grandpa's hard work and patience and they could be handed down with a story to tell. if human beings are still around in the year 2100 they would read this and say ummm not too shabby wish he was my grandpa.. peace

Detectors
    M6/Dualfield
    I find tons of tabs on the beaches here
    never saved any I've though about it
    Now I'll think about it more
    "Learning is the eye of the mind."
    Thomas drake 1633

Detectors
    Whites MXT PRO
    My wife and I show horses and a few years ago a child who rides out of our barn was diagnosed with cancer. Everyone we knew in the horse industry started saving pulltabs to help pay for chemotherapy. I never knew how much they were worth because another parent gathered all the tabs from us and the other barns and delivered them to the family to redeem. I know it helped the family a great deal and was a way we could show the family we cared (a secondary measure behind our prayers).