White's Featured Customer Stories
Holy Cow! I really did it today! 1866 Two Cent Piece Two Cavalry swords found with my DFX Jarnigan & James Research & Recovery September 21, 2014 Hunt Another great find found with the XLT

Thread: .....1867-1911 UMC Shotgun Shell.....

.....1867-1911 UMC Shotgun Shell.....

Well me & Hobie246 (Mike) were trying to meet up today for a hunt...but his honey-do list was in the way for him to make it to the hunt...he has a honey hole of a spot that dates way back to yonder years...anyway I took my V3i & my Super 12" coil so I could cover as much ground as possible and to get the max depth I could as the ground is super soft for diggin...I had my 6x10 coil on stand by in case the trash was too much for the 12" but it wasn't so I hunted for about 2 1/2 hours...I got pennies..dimes..nickels..and very little little trash as I was using one if my Custom Programs...anyway I got a Solid hit of 19 at about 5-6" so I figured I had a nickel for sure...wrong...it was a shotgun shell (duh)...but it was unlike any shell markings that I have ever seen before...after cleaning it up when I got home I did some research and found out this shell is dated from 1867-1911...so kewl...as you can see in the picture it is a U.M.C. Co. No 12 New Club shell...I owe this Find to Mike (Thanks Mike) as he is the one who told me about this place and I was relutant to hunt it without him as I didn't want him to think I was "taking" his spot away...hopefully we'll be able to hit this place together real soon...

here is a link to a page that tells the History of the Manufacturer of this shell

http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/nebland/articles/history/shotshells.asp scroll down about 1/4 of the page...

Union Metallic Cartridge Company

In 1854, Jacob Schuyler, Marcellus Hartley and Malcomb Graham formed the Schuyler, Hartley & Graham Sporting Goods Company in New York City. Destined to become one of the largest sporting goods houses in the world, it provided cartridges and rifles produced by other manufacturers to the Union Army during the Civil War and amassed a fortune. In 1866, the company acquired two small cartridge companies, and the following year re-incorporated as the Union Metallic Cartridge Company (UMC) in Bridgeport, Connecticut. By 1900, Hartley was the sole owner of the company.

U.M.C. known as the Union Metallic Cartridge Company was founded in 1867 by Marcellus Hartley in Bridgeport, Connecticut. They manufactured a variety of shells up until 1911 at which time the company was merged with Remington.

Name:  1867 1911 Shotgun Shell.jpg
Views: 5529
Size:  74.2 KB

Detectors
    Whites GMT with the 6x10dd coil,, Whites DFX, W/950, 6x10dd, 4x6dd,super 12 coils. DX-1 and 120 Bullseye pinpointer,, Sun Ray Pro Gold Headphones..... M6 is gone, But not forgotton"
    Neat find Robert ... That must be one of the first heads to use a paper casing for the powder and shot.. Earlier versions were solid brass casings..
    Ineptocracy [in-ep-toc'-ra-cy] - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers. There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

FNH FNX 40

I didn't think to include a picture of the inside...duh on me...

Name:  Inside Shell.jpg
Views: 4555
Size:  74.8 KB

Detectors
    whites m6 with shooter dd. stock coil prizam 2 950 coil
    thats a cool find

Detectors
    V3i / VX3 / DFX / MXT Pro / M6 / 6T / CM GT / XLT / BH 300 / SURF PI DF / 6000D S2
    Nice old UMC shell !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Detectors
    TDI Pro V3i MXT Pro MXT two Sun-ray dxi-1 4x6 two 6x10 eclipse 950 10" two 12" super 8x14 deep scan 12" dual field 7.5 DF 3x6 mono 5X10 folded 8 10x14 mono Headphones Gray Ghost Ultimate GG Black widow Sun ray Pro Gold
    way to go SIR nice find
    live it, love it, thank it, dig it, low and slow is the way to go

Detectors
    Prizm 6T, BH300, Sunspot 8.0 scoop
    Nice find Robert, I have a few of them as well, only shells I hung onto!
    Rings (22) 1 Plat, 5
    Gold, 16 Silver
    Rings (4) 1 Gold, 3 Silver

"Treasure Is Where You Find It"

Detectors
    V3i (SpectraSound) / MXT- Pro / IDX Pro - DX-1 / Bullseye II - Bullseye TRX Pinpointer
    Very good find Robert.... Congrats on the old shell... It looks old...good digs..Good pictures, thanks for sharing and HH.
    V3i - MXT Pro - IDX Pro - 2014

$ - 16
    H - 2
    Q - 602
    D - 887
    N - 367 (9 %)
    P - 2308
    CC - 4184
    Total$ - 297.61
    Rings - 82
    (Silver) - 17
    (Gold) - 5
    (Tungsten) - 0
    Oldest Coin - 1897 IH Cent
    1923 Liberty Peace Silver Dollar - 1858..1958 Canadian Commemorative Silver Dollar
    Silver Coins - 1 - ..... " You Just Never Know What Will Turn Up Next...or...From Where " ....

Silver Member may-tricks-am-six's Avatar
    Detectors
    M-6
    That's a nice one love the design on the back .

Detectors
    Spectra V3i
    Very cool!

Detectors
    Started metal detecting in May of 2009. DFX 300, dx1 probe, 12" spider coil, Eclipse Deepscan DD 1400 coil, Eclipse Shooter "DD" (4x6) coil, Eclipse 9.5" coil, Bullseye II Pinpointer,Eclipse DD (6x10)
    neat find.
    Proverbs 3:5-6

Detectors
    White's V3i w/ DX-1, White's CoinMaster Pro, White's MXT, Compass Coin Hustler 1, Bullseye II, Garrett Pinpointer
    Interesting. I love when a little history can be attached to a find. Much more fun than clad!
    Every pull tab I dig adds one year of life expectancy to another detectorist.

Detectors
    Eagle Spectrum, Coin Master 5000D/series2
    Wow, Cool, that's just like the one I found yesterday... Thanks for the info link...
    Whooped um again Jose...

Detectors
    M6/Dualfield
    Cool Story! and nice shell find!
    Thanks for sharing
    "Learning is the eye of the mind."
    Thomas drake 1633