Thread: What is a HOT ROCK?

What is a HOT ROCK?

Can anyone explain what a hot rock is? Just in case I might run across one.

Detectors
    V3i / VX3 / DFX / MXT Pro / M6 / 6T / CM GT / XLT / BH 300 / 6000D S2
    A "hot rock" is a rock containing an amount of mineralization, normally iron, that is significantly ABOVE the ground balance point. Conversely, a rock containing an amount of mineralization that is significantly BELOW the ground balance point is a "cold rock".
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Detectors
    Whites GMT with the 6x10dd coil,, Whites DFX, W/950, 6x10dd, 4x6dd,super 12 coils. DX-1 and 120 Bullseye pinpointer,, Sun Ray Pro Gold Headphones..... M6 is gone, But not forgotton"
    Come up and I'll take you to hot rock heaven ..... If you don't have a V3i or DFX, they will drive you bonkers with all the noise..
    Ineptocracy [in-ep-toc'-ra-cy] - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers. There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

FNH FNX 40

Detectors
    M6/Dualfield
    I hate hot rocks! unlees thier in a suana!
    "Learning is the eye of the mind."
    Thomas drake 1633

Silver Member
    Detectors
    Mainly: XLT, modified IDX Pro, Classic II, and looking for a choice XL Pro. Sometimes: MXT Pro and Omega
    Quote Originally Posted by Lineman View Post
    Can anyone explain what a hot rock is? Just in case I might run across one.
    A "hot rock" is simply a rock that makes the detector respond or sound off due to one of two basic factors:

1: Their Ground Balance point is a higher number (more iron mineralization) than the adjacent ground where you GB'ed your detector. These are called 'negative hot rocks' or 'Cold Rocks' and produce a negative or nulling response and what we call a 'boing' sound and not a 'zip' sound.

2: If the rock's Ground Balance point is a lower number (less iron mineralization) than the adjacent ground where you set the GB, then they are called 'positive hot rocks', or just 'Hot Rocks' as compared to 'Cold Rocks.' These will generally produce a 'zip' or regular 'beep' sound because the GB is set more positive for them while ignoring the surrounding ground.

Depending upon where you are hunting you could run across both types. When hunting any location with Hot or Cold Rocks I like to make sure I am not using any AutoTrac™ function. I usually don't, anyway, because a detector can 'track' off of a normal setting when you sweep over these types of rocks, or over iron targets. It's especially noticeable with the fast-tracking circuitry.

Monte
    Beep-DIG! ... The ONLY 100% accurate discrimination or visual TID is your eyes!

San Francico Bay Area and Northern California
    Detectors
    Spectra V3i / DFX
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro 54 View Post
    Come up and I'll take you to hot rock heaven ..... If you don't have a V3i or DFX, they will drive you bonkers with all the noise..
    LOL Glen ...I think it's called the western United States ...
    Take Me Home Country Roads

Detectors
    DFX 300
    The Cars, the Eagles, Steve Miller,
    Happiness is gold or silver in the plug

Detectors
    M6,with DX-1,,6x10 DD coil
    if you ever go over one with your detector believe me you will know it,you will think your detector blew a gasket.

I rarely dig them on land but I get a lot of them from the water with my BeachHunterI.D., they're unavoidable around this area, they are everywhere and once you learn what they are you'll think. . . . not a problem and won't even dig them unless you want to.

Detectors
    Whites DFX,V3i.
    I dug one yesterday,but mine looked more like a slag or cinder from a furnace,Versus a real hot rock...
    Life is Short,Make every day count, and Go for the Gold !!!!

Detectors
    M6 plus bits
    On an excavation under the foundationd of a medieval church I came across large patches of hot rock that turned out to be a much earlier wooden structure that had burned down, It drove me nuts!!!!

Detectors
    M6 plus bits
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa Steve View Post
    The Cars, the Eagles, Steve Miller,
    Subtle but sweet Steve!....I swing more towards AC/DC ( no pun intended )

Detectors
    TDI Pro V3i MXT Pro MXT two Sun-ray dxi-1 4x6 two 6x10 eclipse 950 10" two 12" super 8x14 deep scan 12" dual field 7.5 DF 3x6 mono 5X10 folded 8 10x14 mono Headphones Gray Ghost Ultimate GG Black widow Sun ray Pro Gold
    zz top ac/dc all good
    live it, love it, thank it, dig it, low and slow is the way to go

Now if you ask Cliff that would be any rock that is not in the shade ! Its really really hot in Arizona but hey its a dry heat LOL
    If at first you don't succeed , get the Gov to bail you out !!

Detectors
    Whites MXT Pro
    My yard is full of them. You're welcome to dig there here all you'd like. I'll even help you haul them away.

Detectors
    MXT Eclipse 950 & 6x10; Surf PI Dual Field
    Fox and Monte pardon the new kid, but aren't you guys saying opposite things here? The "detectors/surrounding ground" GB is more positive (higher VDI) in relation to the rock with more mineralization/iron (lower VDI) GB, therefore it is a negative hot rock or cold rock or the other way around. Maybe neither? Takes me a few times to grasp the meaning sometimes. Sorry to slow the party...AC/DC!

Detectors
    Here's what the V3i User Manual says - Pg 32.

• What is +95? A +95 can represent a hot rock, (sometimes called a cold rock in prospecting slang).

This rock/iron can be above the ground balance point, referred to as “Hot Rocks” or below the ground balance point often referred to as "Cold Rocks."

I believe that Monte and I said the same thing .... Its the point of reference. The more iron mineralization, the more NEGATIVE the number, or the closer to -95. I described a hot rock in terms of "quantity" and Monte described it in terms of "effect". If you combine the two descriptions, you would arrive at something like ....

"A hot rock contains an amount of iron mineralization that results in a ground balance point (VDI number) higher than the ground balance point (VDI number)." In other words, if the amount of iron in the rock is less than the amount of iron in the soil, it will be a higher VDI, or a "hot rock". If the rock has more iron than the amount of iron in the soil, it will be a lower (more negative) VDI, or a "cold rock".

That help ??
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Platinum Member
    Detectors
    SPECTRA V3i / BH300
    Excellent explanation!!

Detectors
    MXT Eclipse 950 & 6x10; Surf PI Dual Field
    Fox, thank you. I definately understand now and hope I didn't confuse anyone in the process. I am good to go and you guys are a big help.

Detectors
    The whole idea and premise of the forum is to help people understand their White's instruments and the things that affect the performance of those units. When you get two answers that don't make sense to you, you should do exactly what you did .... Speak up!! You will find that most times, there is more then one way to explain something, and those two explainations may not always be "intuitively obvious to the casual observer". Also, I don't know anybody that's perfect, so I if misspeak about something - call me on it. If I'm wrong, I'll fess up and move on. Same / same, even if the answer provided by someone is correct, if you can't understand it, its not helpful, so keep at it until you get an answer you CAN understand !!